Philip Seymour Hoffman, 46, died as a result of taking a deadly cocktail of drugs, including cocaine and heroin, reports NBC New York.
The Oscar winner was found dead in his West Village apartment in Manhattan on February 2. Heroin had been the suspected cause as he was found with a needle in his arm. Hoffman had been sober for years before relapsing in 2012.
Here’s what you need to know:
1. It Was an ‘Accidental Overdose’
Philip Seymour Hoffman died of “acute mixed drug intoxication including heroin, cocaine, benzodiazepines & amphetamine" says med examiner
— ABC News (@ABC) February 28, 2014
His death has been ruled an accident. The drugs in his system were heroin, cocaine, benzodiazepines and amphetamine.
2. Hoffman’s Apartment Was Riddled With Drugs
There were dozens of bags of heroin found scattered around Hoffman’s apartment.
3. It Was a ‘Speedball’ Cocktail
It’s been rumored that he may have taken a speedball, a cocktail of heroin and cocaine in the same syringe. Over the years other actors such as River Phoenix, John Belushi and Chris Farley have perished as a result of taking a “Speedball.”
4. Benzodiazepine is an Anti-Anxiety Drug
Death from an overdose of benzodiazepines is unusual. The drug is generally used to treat anxiety.
5. Hoffman’s Friend Has Settled a National Enquirer Lawsuit
Hoffman’s death had already been back in the news when Hoffman’s friend David Katz, settled a libel lawsuit against the National Enquirer. The tabloid had claimed that Katz and Hoffman were having a homosexual relationship. The Oscar winner actor, Hoffman, was discovered by Katz and his PA, Isabella Wing-Davey.
Wing-Davey, a playwright and filmmaker who served as Hoffman's personal assistant, is believed to have discovered Hoffman's body with playwright David Katz.Click here to read more