Law enforcement confirmed the news to the Associated Press:
Prince, who was 57 years old, was known to lead a healthy lifestyle, but reports after his death suggested that he was battling drug addiction. An overdose was reportedly the reason for his emergency hospital visit in Illinois on April 15, not the flu as his representatives had said.
The autopsy was completed on April 22, a day after Prince’s body was found unresponsive at his Paisley Park complex in Chanhassen, Minnesota. Emergency responders did perform CPR, but could not revive the “Purple Rain” singer.
An autopsy report for Prince's death could still be weeks or months away, but there are some clues as to what killed the music legend at the age of 57.Click here to read more
Had Drug Overdose Days Before Death
According to DrugFreeWorld.org, opioids offer pain relief on the nervous system and come in tablet or liquid form. Prince was, TMZ’s sources say, going to a Walgreens regularly and employees at the store thought he looked frail and nervous during his final trip to the store.
Prince overdosed on opiates a week before his death and received a life-saving Naloxone shot, TMZ reports.Click here to read more
Another TMZ report on the day of Prince’s death confirmed that the singer suffered an overdose when his plane made that emergency landing. He received a “Save shot” at the hospital to stop the effects of an opiate.
Prince Had Double-Hip Replacement
Drummer Sheila E. told ETOnline that Prince was “in pain all the time, but he was a perfromer.” In 2010, Prince did undergo double-hip replacement and a source told Entertainment Tonight that he Prince had stuggles with the powerful narcotic Percocet.
UPDATE: TMZ reports that the Midwest Medical Examiner’s Office’s toxicology tests found that Prince used Fentanyl, a synthetic opiate that is even more potent than morphine.