It’s finally going to be released. The South Park game that’s been hit with countless delays and tons of controversy will no doubt make some gamers who waited this long very happy. South Park: The Stick of Truth is arriving with the crude and indecent humor that Cartman and his friends are known for.
There’s a ton of information sorrounding this awesomely animated RPG and we’re here to make sure you get all of it in one place.
Here’s everything you need to know about South Park: The Stick of Truth!
1. It Went From The Publishing Hands of THQ to Ubisoft
The developers of this South Park RPG have always been Obsidian Entertainment and South Park Digital Studios. And the original writers behind the show itself (Trey Parker and Matt Stone) have also been handling the script writing duties for the game. But Ubisoft wasn’t originally the sole publisher of the game. THQ was, but the publishing rights to the game was purchased by Ubisoft once THQ filed for chapter 11 bankruptcy. After several delayed dates back in 2013, Ubisoft confirmed that The Stick of Truth is launching on March 4, 2014 (US), March 6 (Australia) and March 7 (UK).
2. It’s Being Developed as a Traditional RPG
The Stick of Truth is being developed with old school, traditional RPG mechanics in mind. The turn-based combat that should be familiar to fans of the Final Fantasy series and Paper Mario will be featured front and center in this animated role-playing game. There will be moments during the battles where some maneuvers will command the player to respond with successive timed button presses. These successful button presses will result in a character’s active moves outputting more damage to enemies or more successful defending. Some of the other traditional RPG tropes that are tied to this game include:
- Weapon augmenting (tying elemental properties to weapons)
– Summons (summoning other characters to the play field during battle)
– Customizable gear (the garb, weaponry and armor the kids of South Park will obtain will appear as if they were crafted by the children themselves)
3. Players Will Go Through The Game’s Main Plot as The New Kid in South Park
The Stick of Truth will place players in the shoes of the new kid in town. When you arrive in South Park, all of the small town’s children are in the middle of playing a live-action RPG. As the new kid, you choose to join in on the fun and get involved in the epic fantasy world that Cartman and the rest of the crew are engaged in. Your playable kid will be a silent protagonist that will receive some advice from some of the other kids in town. At the beginning of the game, you’ll be able to craft a male or female character that will represent the new kid.
4. There Are Several Character Classes Available for Customization
Once you create you player’s look, you’ll be able to choose from five different combat classes to choose from. One of them is super offensive in a sense, but hey – this is South Park we’re talking about here:
– Jew (a hybrid of the paladin/monk classes. The Jew class is a concept that’s created by Cartman. This class is described as being the type of class that is “high risk, high reward.” The player who chooses this class will become even stronger as their near death)
5. The Quests and Items Will Be Grounded in South Park’s Brand of Humor and Reality
The Stick of Truth takes place in South Park, but the kids use their imagination to take normal everyday occurrences/items and make them fantastical. For example, one quest will involve the main player being sent to City Wok to pick up some Kung Pow Chicken for Cartman. The in-game healing items will revolve around different types of sodas or speed-augmenting boosters such as Tweek’s coffee.