It’s crazy to think that Capcom’s open-world zombie hunting franchise has been around since 2006.
Dead Rising introduced the world to a photojournalist named Frank West, who had to cover the zombie apocalypse in the confines of a huge mall. Everyone got a kick out of the game’s wild implementation of custom weapons, outfits and outlandish characters. Ever since then, we’ve been treated to two sequels and several story expanding DLC chapters. On December 6, 2016, Frank West will make a comeback in the 4th official iteration of the series. It’s about time he came back to clear out the undead and make the rest of the world aware of how worse things have gotten.
Before you go hunting for zombies during the Holidays, let’s get into everything you need to know about Dead Rising 4.
1. FRANK WEST IS BACK! And This Time, He’s Taking Down the Undead in Willamette, Colorado During Christmas Time
Frank West should be considered a war veteran since he’s seen and been through some of the most harrowing situations known to man. He got stuck in a massive mall located in Willamette, Colorado in the very 1st game, but he managed to escape with his life/journalistic career still intact. Now it’s 16 years later after the events of Dead Rising (and one year after the close of Dead Rising 3) and the holiday season is in full swing. Another zombie outbreak has enveloped the town of Willamette and of course, Frank is smack dab in the center of it all. Frank’s main/side missions (which will no longer be tied to a countdown timer) will transpire within the Willamette Memorial Megaplex Mall and the outdoors.
2. Frank Can Dish Out Some Big Damage in the All New Exo Suit
Like most of the other entries in the series, Frank will be able to pick up any random item he comes across and also craft a bevy of insane melee/ranged weapons. Some of the weapons you’ll end up producing includes a crossbow that shoots off fireworks, massive bladed armaments like a huge axe and many more types of varied gear. But the newest piece of armory that sticks out the most is Frank’s new Exo Suit.
Once you discover one of them in the open world, Frank turns into a powerhouse for a finite amount of time. During this time, his abnormal strength will give him new moves to test out on the undead and the power to pull objects (such as a parking meter) out of the ground. Exo Suits will come your way during the single-player campaign when you find them in Emergency Shelter vendors.
3. You Can Take on All Those New Zombie Types Alongside Three Other Players for Some Co-Op Festivities
Along with your usual array of slow moving Walker zombies, you’ll encounter several new types that are a lot harder to deal with. One of those new zombie types is known as the “Freshly Infected,” a new type of creature that’s way more lethal and quicker (they’re easily identifiable by their horrifying red eyes). The “Evo” zombie breed are even harder to kill since they employ the use of cover, dodge attacks and utilize more strategic maneuvers to overwhelm Frank.
Thankfully, you and three other online friends can take them out together during the game’s timed co-op missions. These missions are separate from the main campaign and challenge your team to accomplish as much as possible within the overrun zombie mall. Players arm themselves in a safehouse and have to make it back there once the day is complete. Oh and don’t worry ’cause you’ll all be able to throw on some Exo Suits.
4. Different Pre-Order Outlets Will Award You With Exclusive Weapons
Dead Rising 4 is set to feature a whole array of weapons and vehicles (GamesRadar even listed most of the ones that have been seen in trailers thus far). Depending on where you pre-order your copy of the game from, you’ll end up with one exclusive weapon or vehicle. The list we’ve posted below will give you a better understanding of the best pre-order item suited perfectly for your playstyle:
– Candy Cane Crossbow (BestBuy)
– X-Fists (Microsoft Store)
– Steampunk Snowman Head (GameStop)
– Slicecycle (Amazon)
The Candy Cane Crossbow is self explanatory, the X-Fists are enormous Hulk-like fists that are equipped with an Exo Suit, the Steampunk Snowman Head is an insane new piece of headgear and the Slicecycle is a motorcycle that cuts down zombies nearby with chainsaws. Check out the pics below to get a visual of each pre-order bonus item:
5. You Can Hop Into Dead Rising 4 Through the Standard or Deluxe Edition; The Later Comes With the Game’s Season Pass
So if you opt to go with the Standard Edition of Dead Rising 4, you’ll get the special pre-order bonus item provided by your physical/online retailer of choice. But if you’re looking to get the game and its Season Pack all in one shot, the Deluxe Edition will be your most preferred way to go. What’s coming in the Season Pass, you ask? Check out the full description of Dead Rising 4’s future content in the blurb posted below:
– Stocking Stuffer Holiday Pack: Frank West is home for the holidays and he’s got a naughty list the size of Willamette, Colorado. Tear up the streets with festive weapons, zombies, vehicles, costumes and more.
– Super Ultra Dead Rising 4 Mini Golf: You’ve mastered the outbreak – now it’s time to master the green, with eighteen holes of pure wanton destruction you can play with up to three friends online. Flip zombies the birdie where bloodthirsty, over the top zombie mayhem is par for the course. The world of Super Ultra Dead Rising 4 Mini Golf is extreme and the fairways are the town of Willamette, Colorado, including the iconic Willamette Memorial Megaplex Mall. Use Frank West’s favorite weapons as your set of golf clubs. With an oversized golf ball, drive down the fairways, reaching for the green to nail the perfect putt. Watch your score as you do not want to bogey in this zombie filled eighteen-hole golf course. Mini golf is made crazier with the zombie horde as obstructions and hazards. Dead Rising Fore!
– Dead Rising 4: Frank Rising: In this DLC, Frank West is freshly infected and needs to find a cure before he becomes a zombie and is lost forever. While searching for a cure, Frank discovers that everything is not the same as it was; zombies are getting smarter, people cannot be trusted and paramilitary forces are plotting to wipe out Willamette. Frank has a limited time before he reverts to the full zombie state and the city is wiped out. Frank will have to get to the truth first… or die trying.
Another special edition of the game that’s been announced is the perfectly titled “Holiday Edition.” This bundle comes with the following special bonus gear: Frank West’s “Holiday Snow Guide,” his speedy Slicecycle Bike and a Steam Punk Snowman Head.