DOOM was one of the biggest FPS (first person shooter) titles of 2016, thanks to its high octane combat and focus on retro style gameplay. However, since its release the multiplayer portion of DOOM didn’t spark the following that other online titles like Battlefield 1 and Overwatch. This might change thanks to a large update that DOOM is getting today, dubbed the 6.66 patch. While this patch does adjust some bugs within the game, big selling point is that the multiplayer DLC will become free to all users.
This means that anyone who owns a copy of DOOM will have access to the Unto The Evil, Hell Followed, and Bloodfall multiplayer packs. The progression system has also got a complete overhaul, with every user being reset back to Level 0. However, veteran users can opt out of this and keep their weapons, skins, demons, and equipment. Loot is now obtained via reaching certain levels as opposed to the random drop mechanic previously implemented.
Veteran players will also receive a unique badge to let other users know they are long time users of DOOM. If you are interested in DOOM, but not sold on this fast paced game yet, there will be a free weekend held across all platforms. The dates are as followed:
- Start: 12:00 p.m. EST – 07/27.
- End: 12:00 a.m. EST – 07/30
- Start: 12:00 p.m. EST – 07/20
- End: 12:00 a.m. EST – 07/23
- Start: 1:00 p.m. EST – 7/20
- End: 4:00 p.m. EST – 07/23
As a bonus, if you do play during the free weekend you will be able to retain your progress if you purchase the full version of DOOM. Here are the additional 6.66 patch notes for the changes made to both Multiplayer and their SnapMap tool:
- Fixed an issue where textures appeared to glow on the player’s character.
- Fixed an issue in Multiplayer where players would respawn frozen at the beginning of a Freeze Tag round.
- Fixed an issue in Multiplayer where parts of the player model appeared transparent in some circumstances.
- Fixed an issue where players would disconnect from a match under certain conditions.
- Fixed an issue in Infernal Run where picking up the ball when out of ammo would cause problems with passing or receiving the ball.
- Fixed an issue with the Multiplayer Challenge “Aimbot Hax” where Reaper Longshots would not count towards challenge completion.
- Fixed an issue in Multiplayer with inconsistent power item spawns on Outbreak.
- Added rotate on XYZ axis to the Grab Object manipulate controls
- Added setting to remove network limitation on single player only maps.
- Resolved various freeze and crash bugs.
- Fixed various matchmaking and lobby issues.
- Fixed visual bugs that result from combining specific HUD elements
- Fixed various freezes and crashes with using Campaign Model.
- Fixed coop crash with Bob and Rotate settings.
- Fixed bug that caused AI to run into blocking volumes set to Block Demons and AI Sight.
- Improved collision issues causing AI to partially fall into blocking volumes set to Block Demons.