Banana bread is a yummy way to use overripe bananas, and it’s also easy to make. Most recipes double-down on the sugar content, though, so it’s easy to rack up the calories if you can’t stop at a thin slice. This recipe is easy, moist, and healthy with some whole wheat flour, applesauce, and yogurt instead of a stick of butter, and some agave nectar instead of a full cup of sugar.
Moist and Healthy Banana Bread Recipe
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- ¼ cup applesauce
- ¼ cup vanilla yogurt
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 egg, beaten
- 4 overripe bananas, mashed
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp agave nectar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Lightly oil a loaf pan.
- Combine flours, baking soda, and salt in a big mixing bowl.
- Mix butter, applesauce, vanilla, and yogurt together with a fork or a mixer until they become fluffy.
- Add egg and mix to combine.
- Stir in bananas, sugar, and agave and mix to incorporate.
- Add dry flour mixture to wet mixture and stir to combine.
- Pour batter into loaf pan.
- Bake for an hour, or until the loaf passes the toothpick test.
- Cool on rack for 10 minutes and then remove the bread to cool on the rack by itself.
Paleo Banana Bread
This Paleo, Primal, and gluten-free banana bread from Rule of Yum features almond and coconut flours instead of regular flour.
Low Fat Banana Bread
This recipe from Joy of Baking cuts down on saturated fat by replacing some of the butter with heart-healthy oil and yogurt.
High Protein and Honey Banana Bread
An innovative creation from The Diet Kitchen, this protein-packed banana bread uses instant oats, flaxseeds, honey, Greek yogurt, and protein powder.
Vegan Banana Bread
This chocolate coconut banana bread recipe by Gluten Free Gigi is divine, but it’s also vegan, soy-free, nut-free, and dairy-free.