Welterweight contenders ready to go
HeavyMMA.com has confirmed with sources close to the promotion that the bout has been offered to both parties, but has not been agreed to as of Tuesday morning. The leading candidate for the fight is the Oct. 29 UFC 137 event that features Georges St. Pierre vs. Nick Diaz in the main event. Condit vs. Penn would likely assume the co-main event role.
This isn’t the first time Condit vs. Penn has been discussed as a potential bout by the organization. The fight was tossed around after Jon Fitch pulled out of a UFC 132 bout with Penn due to an injury, but was ultimately scrapped when Penn pulled out of the card with an injury of his own.
Penn had been slated to take on Fitch in a rematch of their UFC 127 draw, but Penn said via Twitter that UFC matchmaker Joe Silva declined to make the rematch.
“Tried to make it happen, but Joe Silva said the fans don’t want it and I’m not interested,” Penn wrote. “Not much more I can do on my end.”