Heavy.com Seeking News Junky Over Achievers
Position(s): Lead Freelance Managing Editors for Australia
It’s time to start thinking about your future. Heavy.com is a growing real-time International news organization recruiting highly motivated self-starters.
Heavy.com is seeking a local Australian real-time managing news editor with high energy, news acumen, web-publishing experience and a passion for real-time relevance to swiftly identify breaking Australian and relevant International news. Editors will add value by identifying these breaking news stories, packaging and posting content — working remotely and independently with oversight from US based Editor-in-Chief. This position is for an independent, energetic, upbeat over achiever looking for an opportunity to make a name for themseves. If you are ready to join a team, make a significant contribution and enjoy the rewards, read on…
The positions include the following duties:
- Intensively monitor breaking news/emerging trends and immediately identify topics worthy of rapid repackaging — topics that are most likely to be searched for (Googled) and shared through social networks.
- Adept at use of RSS reader to track real-time postings from numerous news, entertainment, sports, pop culture, science, and technology websites
- Twitter-savvy and versed in all social media channels to discover news “before it’s news”
- Able to monitor TV, radio, and all additional sources of real-time information
- Immediately add value and post content to Heavy.com.
- Rapidly identify an angle & headline and immediately post story
- In successive iterations, add value with additional text, photos, gifs, video, tweets, embedded documents
- Track developments and provide real-time updates
- Adhere to practices of Heavy’s real-time methodology
- Collaborate with editor-in-chief and other Heavy.com staff.
- Accept and execute assignments
- Pick up ongoing stories from editors on previous shift
- Communicate with editors in other territories
- Full “buy-in” of real-time philosophy
- Passion for news, pop culture, and new media
- Knowledge of SEO and headline-writing experience
- Experience with content-management systems such as Word Press or Tumblr
- Own computer with access to high-speed internet
Applicants should email resume and cover letter with the subject “news editor” to firstname.lastname@example.org.