Jameis Winston has been named the winner of the 2013 Heisman Trophy. Here’s what you need to know about the Florida State quarterback:
1. Winston Won By a Landslide
Jameis Winston margin of victory for the 2013 Heisman Trophy is the 5th-largest in the modern era.
— Natalie Pierre (@Natalie_Pierre) December 15, 2013
Winston won the Heisman by a massive margin. Even crazier, he was left off 100 ballots. Here’s how the votes were placed:
- 1. Jameis Winston, QB, Florida State – 2,205 points
- 2. AJ McCarron, QB, Alabama – 704 points
- 3. Jordan Lynch, QB, Northern Illinois – 558 points
- 4. Andre Williams, RB, Boston College – 470 points
- 5. Johnny Manziel, QB, Texas A&M – 421 points
- 6. Tre Mason, RB, Auburn – 404 points
2. Winston Becomes Just Second Freshman to Win Heisman
Winston becomes just the second freshman in history to earn college football’s highest individual honor. Ironically, last year’s winner, Johnny Manziel, is the only other freshman to win the award.
At 19 years and 342 days old, Winston is also the youngest player to win the Heisman. Watch his highlights above.
3. He Becomes Florida State’s Third Heisman Winner
Winston is the third Florida State Seminole to win the Heisman Trophy. Quarterbacks Chris Weinke (2000) and Charlie Ward (1993) are the school’s two other Heisman winners.
4. He Was Cleared of Rape Charges in Early December
Winston was implicated in a sexual battery case stemming from a December 2012 incident, but was ultimately cleared of all charges nearly a year later.
5. Florida State is Good…Really Good
Florida State has destroyed its competition this season, largely due to the exploits of Winston. In addition to being a perfect 13-0, Jimbo Fisher’s team boasted an averaging winning margin of more than 40 points this season. The Seminoles take on Auburn in the national championship on January 6, 2014.
Florida State quarterback Jameis Winston will not be charged with sexual assault.Click here to read more