Two teenagers were attacked by sharks in New Smyrna Beach, Florida, reports The Daytona Beach News-Journal. The boys were competing in a surfing competition at the beach.
Here’s what you need to know:
1. The two boys are ages 14 and 17. The attacks occurred within 30 minutes of each other.
2. The first attack happened when the 14-year-old was sitting on his surfboard just prior to a surfing competition. That shark was about four foot in length. The second attack, that happened at around 2 p.m., was similar when a shark grabbed a boy’s leg and let go. In that case, the boy didn’t see the shark, reports My News 13.
3. Shark attacks are frequent at New Smyrna Beach. Since records were kept, there have been 238 attacks at the beach.
4. Both boys suffered minor injuries and didn’t need a trip to hospital.
5. There were seven shark attacks in Volusia County in 2013.
This is not a good time to surf.Click here to read more