News

Montreal Daycare Evacuation: 5 Facts You Need to Know

A daycare roughly 40 minutes outside Montreal was evacuated Tuesday afternoon after carbon monoxide was detected in the building.

Here’s what you need to know:

1. The School Evacuated 72 Students and Their Teachers

Montreal daycare evacuation, carbon monoxide poisoning, kids, teachers

Les Petits Explorateurs De Laval daycare center in St. Eustache. (Google Maps)

According to CTV, roughly 72 students and their teachers were taken to the hospital as a precaution after the carbon monoxide was detected. Government officials told CBC news roughly 5 students experienced serious symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning, including headaches and vomiting, and two students fell unconscious as a result of the exposure. Saint-Eustache fire Chief Charles de Rouville told CBC news that a malfunctioning floor cleaner that runs on propane was most likely the cause of the heightened levels of carbon monoxide in the daycare center. CBC News reports fire officials have confirmed there were no carbon monoxide detectors in the building.


2. The School is in St. Eustache

Les Petits Explorateurs De Laval is located on the Boulevard des Laurentides in St. Eustache, Quebec. St. Eustache has a population of roughly 44,000 and is an-off island suburb of Montreal, roughly 40 minutes west of the city. Although the majority of the students and teachers at the school received care at a local hospital, CBC reports two students had to be transferred to Sainte-Justine Hospital in Montreal as a precaution.


3. Parents Have Been Notified

According to CBC News, Quebec Family Minister Francine Charbonneau said parents of children at the daycare center have been notified. CBC News reports the daycare center will be closed through Wednesday.


4. Carbon Monoxide Poisoning Can Cause Sudden Illness and Death

Montreal daycare evacuation, carbon monoxide poisoning, kids, teachers, hospital

(Getty)

According to the CDC, carbon monoxide is an odorless gas often found in combustion fumes. When the gas builds up in enclosed spaces, people and animals can be poisoned by the gas, because it’s easier for red blood cells to pick up CO molecules than oxygen, which ultimately can cut off the body’s oxygen supply, resulting in death.

Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning include headache, dizziness, vomiting and chest pain.


5. Carbon Monoxide Poisoning Is the Most Common Poisoning Death Worldwide

The true number of carbon monoxide poisoning cases worldwide is unknown because so few people know the symptoms. However, carbon monoxide poisoning is the leading cause of injury and death due to poisoning worldwide. Carbon monoxide poisoning typically occurs during winter months.

Const. Dave Ross: 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know

Const. David Ross, a Quebec-born Mountie whose wife was expecting the couple's second child, was one of the victims of Justin Bourque's rampage in Moncton.

Click here to read more

Win a $1,000 Christmas Amazon shopping spree

Join Heavy's daily email newsletter and Askmen's newsletter to enter to win a $1,000 Christmas Shopping Spree on Amazon
Read the sweepstakes rules here.

Leave a comment

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 959 other followers