One of the two men cops say is responsible for a shooting June 29 on Bourbon Street in New Orleans turned himself in Wednesday night, cops said.
Justin Odom is wanted on unrelated warrants but is believed to be connected to the shooting, which occurred in the early morning hours of July 29 and left 10 people injured.
A police press release says Odom is “known to associate with a white male named either Josh or Joe, who is also a person of interest in this investigation.”
Here’s what we know:
1. Odom Turned Himself in Wednesday Afternoon
Odom turned himself in Wednesday afternoon to police in Gretna, a New Orleans suburb.
Fox 8 New Orleans reports he was arrested on charges from unrelated warrants.
New Orleans cops had released the surveillance video above, identifying a person of interest in the investigation, late Sunday night. Police have not said whether Odom is the person seen in the video.
2. One Victim Has Died
BREAKING: Orleans Parish Coroner confirms Brittany Thomas, 21, has died of injuries suffered n Bourbon St Shootings pic.twitter.com/n6YlyfIeSx
— Andy Cunningham (@CunninghamWDSU) July 2, 2014
WAFB reports that 21-year-old Brittany Thomas of Hammond, Louisiana, died on Wednesday afternoon, July 2. She had been listed in critical condition.
The Times-Picayune reports four other victims are still in the hospital, in stable condition. Four victims received treatment and have been released from the hospital, while one man was grazed in the chest and refused medical treatment.
3. Graphic Footage Shows an Armed Man in the Street
Additional surveillance footage released by cops shows an armed man raising a gun, causing passersby to flee. The video, shown above, is graphic and may be disturbing to some viewers.
4. Police Said the Shooting Involved 2 ‘Cowardly Young Men’ Facing Off
Cops said two young men were responsible for the shootings. New Orleans Police Superintendent Ronal Serpas called the shooters “two cowardly young men trying to hurt one another.” You can watch the superintendent’s briefing in the video above.
5. Many of the Victims Were Tourists
— FOX 8 New Orleans (@FOX8NOLA) July 2, 2014
According to the New Orleans Times-Picayune, only two of the 10 shooting victims were from New Orleans. The rest of the victims were tourists, who came to New Orleans from places like Florida, Mississippi and Australia.
Amy Matthews, the 21-year-old Australian shooting victim, told The West Australian she wrote a paper examining gun use in the United States. She said of her experience, “This won’t deter me from coming back but it makes me angry that the Government can’t be strong enough to say, ‘No, something needs to be done.'”