Dan & Carleen Turner, Brock’s Parents: 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know

Dan & Carleen Turner, Brock's Parents

Dan and Carleen Turner pictured in her Facebook profile photo.

Convicted rapist Brock Turner shouldn’t spend years in jail for “20 minutes of action,” his father argued to the court in a letter that sparked intense backlash. His mother also penned a plea for mercy and glowing assessment of her “beautiful son.” The 20-year-old former Stanford swimming star will serve about three months behind bars for sexually assaulting a blacked-out victim behind a dumpster.

Judge Aaron Persky, himself a former Stanford athlete, cited positive character references and lack of criminal record when sparing Turner what could have been 14 years of hard time.

Brock Turner’s letter to the judge has also been made public. In the letter, Turner defends his actions, blaming alcohol and claiming the victim consented. You can read the full statement here.

Leslie Rasmussen, a longtime family friend, has also come under fire for her letter in support of Brock Turner. Her band, Good English, has had several shows cancelled because of the outrage directed toward her.

Brock Turner and his two siblings were raised in Dayton, Ohio, by his father, Dan, a civilian Air Force employee, and his mother, Carleen, a registered surgery nurse.

Here’s what you need to know about his parents:

1. A Financial Support Page Was Set Up on Facebook to Help the Family Pay for the ‘Tragic Situation With Brock’

Brock Turner with his parents, sister and brother. (Facebook)

Brock Turner with his parents, sister and brother. (Facebook)

In May 2015, a friend of the Turner family set up a Facebook page designed to help raise money for the family to aid Brock’s criminal defense. The page was deleted, but you can see a screen shot of it below:

(Facebook)

(Facebook)

The fund the friend was soliciting donations for was set up by Dan Turner, according to the Dayton Daily News. The account is still open, the Wright-Patt Credit Union told the newspaper.

The page reads in part:

As a lifelong friend, mother and person who has watched this family grow, I am reaching out to you on behalf of Dan Turner and Carleen Bradfield Turner.

They are dealing with a monumental life-changing and tragic situation with Brock and their expenses continue to mount. As a mother and friend, I would do anything to help my child and save him.

I am asking that you donate what you can as every donation not only helps to ease the financial burden, but it is also a show of support, friendship and solidarity.

It continues after giving readers instructions on how to donate:

Most of us personally know Car, Dan and the kids. I know that while we are not experiencing what they are feeling, my heart and faith continue to want to help and be supportive. I am asking for your help with this.

We can’t ease their pain but I hope that we can help ease the financial burden that this situation has caused.

One friend of the family wrote under the post, “Yes thank you for doing this!!” It had 44 likes when it was deleted and showed a photo of Dan and Carleen together as well as a family photo. A meme featuring a person sitting on a bench and the words “I am strong but I am tired” was also featured.

Another family friend, Marco Saccaggi, told the Dayton Daily News he plans to donate to the help Turner, who he called “extremely respectful.”

“My wife remembered he was always the first one to say ‘seat belts’ in the car,” Saccaggi told the newspaper. “For us, it was really a shock. It is not the Brock we know.”

2. Dan Turner Has Been Harshly Criticized for His Plea for Lenience, Citing the ’20 Minutes of Action’ Involved in the Attack

In a letter to the judge that he read aloud in court, Dan said his son was already paying “a steep price … for 20 minutes of action.” He went on:

He will never be his happy go lucky self with that easy going personality and welcoming smile. You can see this in his face, the way he walks, his weakened voice, his lack of appetite.

Dan joked that his son no longer had a hunger for steaks or snack foods and said that prison would not be an “appropriate punishment.”

He added that his son would be “totally committed to educating other college age students about the dangers of alcohol consumption and sexual promiscuity. By having people like Brock educate others on college campuses is how society can begin to break the cycle of binge drinking and its unfortunate results.”

Read the full letter here.

According to military documents, Dan Turner works as a civilian contractor for the Air Force, assisting with technology projects needed to help build weaponry.

A photo from Carleen’s now-deleted Facebook page from June 2015 shows Dan Turner with Republican Senator Lindsey Graham.

3. Carleen Turner Was Active in Her Son’s Burgeoning Swimming Career & Was a Scout Leader

Brock Turner Mugshot

Brock Turner’s mugshot. (Santa Clara County)

On her LinkedIn page, Carleen Turner says she works as a surgery nurse at Dayton’s Children’s Hospital. She got her degree at Wright State University and previously worked at Miami Valley Hospital in Dayton. Until 2008, she was a girl scout leader.

Carleen also helped to organize events for Brock’s high school swim team.

The Spring 2007 issue of the Samaritan Health Foundation magazine features the Turner family as being active with the Good Samaritan hospital. Their activity is done in memory of Carleen’s brother, Scott Bradfield.

4. Barry Bonds’ Lawyer, Nicknamed ‘the Last Hope,’ Will Represent Brock in His Appeal

Palo Alto Online reports that Turner is planning an appeal against his conviction and has enlisted Dennis Riordan, an appellate lawyer.

SF Gate reported in 2011 that Dennis Riordan represented Barry Bonds against perjury charges. The feature notes that Riordan “probes prosecutors’ cases for legal weaknesses — the evidence that violates hearsay rules or the latest court precedent, the proposed jury instructions that tilt the scales toward guilt — in hopes of getting charges narrowed or dismissed. While other lawyers question witnesses and argue to the jury, Riordan tees up the issues that often decide the outcome in higher courts.”

The New York Times referred to his nickname as “the last hope” while also calling him “one of California’s top appellate lawyers … known as a brilliant writer of motions, briefs and jury instructions.”

5. The Victim’s Impact Statement Has Increased the Calls for a Harsher Sentence

Prosecutors in the case had been asking for Brock to serve six years in prison for his crime. Judge Aaron Persky, a Stanford alum, said at sentencing, “A prison sentence would have a severe impact on him. I think he will not be a danger to others.” On June 7, Persky is facing an election, unopposed, in the Santa Clara county election. A Change.org petition has circulated calling for Persky to be recalled.

You can read the full victim’s impact statement here. “You took away my worth, my privacy, my energy, my time, my intimacy, my confidence, my own voice, until today. The damage is done, no one can undo it,” the victim read aloud in court. “And now we both have a choice. We can let this destroy us, I can remain angry and hurt and you can be in denial, or we can face it head on, I accept the pain, you accept the punishment, and we move on.”

The more this POS gets in the public’s eye, the more I hope he gets whats coming to him. The way his parents comment on his actions, I now know where he gets his attitude. I hope someone gives him 20 minutes of action…..

Dan turner be a man accept what your son has done my son was charged with selling drugs first offense good student but I did not defend his actions he served his time like a man your son iis no man just a piece of trash who ruined and destroyed someone’s life and is using you as an excuse to feel good about what he did along with your no good friends who have no heart be a real man and accept his choice in his actions 6 months is murdering the real victim who has to live with this shameful act your son has done

Quan

This rapist is being put into protective custody in jail so he will not get what he deserves there. I hope and pray he gets it when he returns home. His parents can only protect him so long.

Joy Miller

Why aren’t they starting a fund for his victim? How about a little public shame here, Mr. and Mrs. Turner? A modicum of mea culpa would look good about now.

momofdaughters

To Dan and Carleen Turner:

You are son is a rapist, and your are enablers by trying to rationalize his horrific and atrocious act against a defenseless, young woman. Remember there is a special circle in hell for those like you and your son, you want us to feel sorry for your poor boy because he cannot enjoy steak anymore, well somehow comes million miles short of the true suffering that his victim will have to endure for the rest of her life. You blame alcohol, you blame the victim, how about blaming your rapist son for what he did. Fortunate for the victim, two young men who unlike your monster son are actually true men, showed up, as she might have ended up dead.

Your case is yet another “afluenza” story where innocent people suffer because you never set boundaries for your spoiled son. And now you want to appeal the sentence, how can you look yourself in the mirror, how can you leave with yourself protecting a monster. What is the tables are turned and the victim was your daughter and the rapist for just some rich white preppy boy-yes you would not want that. Shame, shame on you, it is because of parents like you that young men think is OK to act like they are above the law, above God.

I thought you people are against rape, if so why do you want him to be raped in prison. Rape is rape. If you want him raped in prison you support rape.

mockiev

I can’t say that I support inmate sexual assault in prison, but I can say I probably wouldn’t feel too bad if it happened to him. He’s going to the county lockup, though, so the likelihood of that occurring is slim to none.

Maybe, if that lawyer that doesn’t get people out of legal trouble because of technicalities doesn’t get him out on appeal, anyway.

This is not okay

I loathe what is happening with the lenient sentencing, his father defending it, all the travesties of justice, but you are absolutely correct about this. I would never wish that on him.

Me

There is not enough characters availalble for me to say what I really want to say about this. Dan Turner, you sir, are a piece of shit!!!! @) MINUTES OF PLEASURE TO THAT DESTROYED A GIRL’s LIFE FOR THE SELFISH, SICK, PERVERTED ‘pleasure’ of rape. I can assure you, DAN, if that was my daughter you would be burying your “sick, perverted, “unprecious”, little f*cjk. With your outllok on this your WIFE would be b urying you as well. I will spend the rest of my life in prison to rid the world of SHIT like you and your family.

Stacey E.

His father refers to this incident as “sexual promiscuity”. I’m guessing he’s implying that she was the one being promiscuous? I wonder if a guy overpowered him and inserted part of himself into the dad, if he’d just blow it off as “boys will be boys”. Interesting that these “proud Christians” keep committing crimes like this, and invoke their “faith”. But any time someone not of their political persuasion commits an indiscretion, they never shut the hell up about it. So, one party is allowed to commit actual crimes, but if you’re from the other one, even cheating is the “end of the world”. It’s “proof” that “those people” are Godless and immoral. Very nice.

William Sheppard

Hi Dan Turner my name is Bill and I have decided that since your son thinks women are on earth for his enjoyment I think it’s only fair that you let me sleep with your wife . After all I’m sure she would enjoy more than 20 minutes of action. Don’t you?

Le Tigre (@letigre_syd)

Please remember to make it as undignified as possible. Don’t forget the dirt and pine needles. A leave her behind a dumpster completely dishevelled, naked from the waist down with her dress over her head.

Alice Looney

“20 minutes of action” – his son got some “action”? Mamma Jamma, PLEASE. His son sexually assaulted a young woman, he wasn’t gettin’ any “action.” No wonder convicted felon Brock Allen Turner thought it would be OK to dry hump and finger f**k a girl who was unconscious and totally defenseless if that is how his father thinks! It is SO tragic that his son no longer likes steak and can’t get on with his life. Welcome to hell, Brock Allen Turner. I will make sure that your face, your crimes, and your name are in front of the public for the rest of my life! You will never have one minute’s peace because that is what you have done to your victim. If you were bleeding to death on the sidewalk in front of me I would step over you and continue on my way. In the unlikely chance you die before I do, I will make it a point to travel to your grave to spit on it.

margot

No one seems to be asking why Brock Turner’s sister referred to him (among other obviously fond descriptions) as “peculiar.”
Anyone know if there was any psychiatric examination done of the convicted and if there are any publicly available results.
There’s something about his eyes and expression that remind me an awful of a teenage boy I know who has Asperger’s Syndrome. It’s absolutely no excuse but there is a great deal of emotional immaturity attached to this.

JustWow

Can’t really believe all the entitlement of this rapist (Brock) and his family. Just 20 minutes of action!!!! Really dad Turner. Hope your daughter or wife never have to be a victim of “just 20 minutes of action.” The victim has lost her whole being over your son’s disgusting act of 20 minutes. I hope you, your son and his friend from the band “Good English,” can never live down what has been done and said about the innocent victim.

christa Donaldson

Can’t have it both ways; you are an inexperienced driver yet your high school friend says she has been with you when you were drunk and wasn’t threatened. Maybe he only rapes strangers.

mockiev

I think in this case, it could be a bit of a metaphor.

Just because a friend has been with you when you were driving drunk and didn’t feel threatened, doesn’t mean you should be exempted the next time you drive drunk, when you hit someone and kill them.

Paul

Two things still haunt me about this whole thing. 1. Why didn’t the father, mother, lawyer, judge… instruct the young man who made 20mins of inhuman decisions. That as a man, “He owes” this young woman a whole and complete apology. When she read her letter to the court, was the young man told to sit up, listen, and do not look away. (Has there been any comment, response from the parents and siblings, as to the young lady’s letter. They have a daughter.) Why was the girl not allowed to step across the room and give a single hard slap to the felon’s face? For that matter, give one to his lawyer’s face. I would appear that this is comes close to an “Affluence Case.” I hope the family has some money. There should be a civil suit… that should be resolved out of court.
2. If this appeal goes through. And as it should be turned-down! Can the Appeals Court also send it back for “resentencing?” Even in the girl’s letter, she spoke of accepting the pain, the guilt, and the punishment, and then let’s move-on. That was very noble of her. Where is his honor?

Paul

(typo: It would appear that this comes close….) I find it unfathomable, that with good behavior, the felon should only have to serve 3 months. SIX should be the absolute minimum. And what if he breaks parole? He does the other 3 months? That is not justice. I have been a RN for 36years and was a Captain in the USAF. We have 3 Sons. They know right from wrong. I really wish to hear the mother’s side of this.

cadit quaestio

Two things haunt me about your post…
1. Did you ever consider the possibility that the young man believes he is innocent? And thus he believes that he has no reason to apologize, which is why he is appealing the court decision.
2. The article states that the Father and the Mother are basically civil servants. The Father works for the government and the Mother works as a nurse….I wouldn’t think that they are affluent.

Additionally, civil suit for what? The young man is an adult and his parent’s are not responsible for his actions. You can’t sue the parent’s for the criminal actions of the son. The son is not a minor.

Lastly, the appeals court is there to review any issues with the trial (fairness, jury selection, jury instructions, applicability of the law, and etc). Some people and sites have speculated the case could be reversed on appeal because the burden of proof was not met and that it was inadvertently shifted from the state to the defendant….meaning that because the young woman can’t remember what happened, no one knows whether she gave consent before she passed out nor do we know when she passed out. All that we know is that when the bikers came upon the scene she was passed out. For all we know, she could have passed out 15 seconds before the bikers arrived and given her consent 30 seconds before that. Now, I am not saying that is what happened but in the absence of her testimony…no one knows whether she gave consent and in that absence, we are asking the defendant (Turner) to prove that she did provide consent when the burden is supposed to be on the state to prove that he didn’t have consent. How did the state prove that? That is something the appeal court will have to decide.

Z

Dear Dan and Colleen Turner…how dare you!!!!!!!! Your son committed a VIOLENT ACT OF RAPE… not 20 minutes of whatever you want to call it…how would you feel if someone did that to your wife Dan Turner? I mean really! Get over yourself and teach your son something, be a man and stand up! He deserves MUCH WORSE PUNISHMENT and boo hoo he doesn’t eat steak anymore… you are a horrible person both of you are!!!

Lisa

These are the parents of rapist Brock Turner, Dan & Carleen Turner — take a good look at them!! Remember their faces. To act as if their rapist son BROCK TURNER is the Victim, shows that they too have no remorse for their son’s actions. Brock Turner RAPED an unconscious woman behind a dumpster and showed no remorse for what he has done. He was convicted by a jury of his peers, but will not serve the recommended sentence due to White privilege and a bias judge (Aaron Persky) who has a similar background as rapist Brock Turner. This is a travesty of justice! We must continue to spread the word of Brock Turner’s heinous act so all women are aware of this rapist’s background.

Ria

Brock Turner the rapist although drunk as he claims, knew what he was doing was wrong, wrong, wrong or else he would not have ran off when the two grad students caught him. These frat boys have been getting away with rape for years, all claiming they were drunk. I say all fraternities should be banned because rape is a one of their traditions. There are so many Brock Turners that have gone free, some have gone on to be the judges and lawyers who defend these cases, so of course these rapists who get caught will get away with a slap on the wrist.

cadit quaestio

Yeah, cuzz running always means guilt… Just for the sake of argument… let’s say you were with a woman in a consensual sexual encounter and you were both outside in a park and two men rushed you and were yelling at you in the dark of night…let’s also say that you were drunk as a skunk (BAC twice the legal limit) when the approached you. I would think most people might be inclined to run even if they were innocent. Additionally, Turner was not in a frat, so your reference about what frat boys get a way with is NOT applicable here.

Kontiki

cadit: In your scenario, don’t you think any decent man, regardless of sobriety, would stay with “his” date to ensure her safety? Your character is showing — opps! You have none!

chinacatfish

I wonder how old this kid was, the first time he took advantage of a drunk girl?
I wonder, how many other girls don’t know it was him?

I wonder, if the Turners got drunk at a party, and I stole their wallets, and their keys, if they would fail to file charges, because they knew they were drunk, and made themselves vulerable?

I’m excited to see so many people stand up and call bullshit on this.

I’m sad, because we should have sorted this out a hundred years ago.

ledasdaughter

I’m wondering about the judge who identified with Brock Turner. The judge attended Stanford and was a white, male athlete too. You gotta wonder if this horrific sentence has anything to do with the judge’s unknown past because to commit Brock Turner to a lengthy jail sentence would mean that he would be indicting himself. This dynamic is most normal and is why rape in the military is still a problem. The joint chiefs of staff for the past 60 years probably committed rape or harassment when they were just lieutenants thus they can not condemn military males to something they did too.

Really a page to help with poor poor Brock’s fees. Disgusting, this kid is allowed to receive just a slap on the hand. Your telling your rapist son it is ok for what he has done. He wil be out there again for another victim. Then what are you going to do. The victim should be the main concern. Have you offered any help to her.

Rosemarie Corradina

Then the dad shouldn’t mind too much when a fellow prison inmate has the same 20 minutes of action with his son. No harm no foul

Brenda

I am seriously hoping many inmates have that 20 minutes of action to his son. I am sure the father would be totally understanding of that

Steve

To be fair, they should knock him unconscious, and get a branch of a pine tree, to make it more “fair”. Remember when Jeffrey Dahmer was bragging to his fellow inmates? Pretty boy might not come out as pretty when quid pro quo comes around with his old friend karma and their sister, street justice.

This is not okay

He’s being kept in protective custody, confirmed by a jail spokesman today. :(

Boo Ellis

So was Father John Geoghan. Funny how “accidents” happen in prison, and here is a despicable rich white boy. Gosh, I sure hope the guards do their jobs. Or maybe little Brockie doesn’t want protective custody because he likes it in the poop chute.

Le Tigre (@letigre_syd)

Right? 20 minutes of action, no big deal. If he didn’t want to get raped, maybe he should have thought about that before getting sent to jail. He’s asking for it.

Ohhhh… hang on. Doh!!!

Twenty

I believe Dan and Carleen Turner would appreciate hearing about your thoughts on this outrage. Their home address is 1232 Ravelle Court; Bellbrook, OH 45305. This information was retrieved from the Greene County, Ohio Property Search page and is a public record.

Ria

Yiikes Twenty – are you sure this is the correct address? It would be awful if it isn’t. I share your outrage but this is extreme!

Yes, this is the correct address for Brock Turner, Dan C Turner &
Carleen M Turner, according to White Pages, which also lists the Turners’ phone number.

CHRISTINE

HOW DARE YOU POST THIS PERSONS ADDRESS….you are a horrible evil person…..If i were the police i would investigate YOU and what you do….do you have nothing else to do but stalk people?????? this is for opinions not more crimes

qqie

Christine, knowing someone’s address doesn’t mean someone will use it to commit a crime. Perhaps people would like to write a letter to this guy? Jeez.

ChristineLovesRapists

you’re trying to protecting rapists.. so who are you? the father/mother? the rapist himself..

CraigD

Agreed. This is nothing more than a vigilante mob out for blood. There is not thinking involved here.

JUST ME

I have a family member whom I love dearly who is on the sex offender registry for the rest of his life for having “consentual” sex with a minor. This person served 6 years of hard time. This person was found guilty by a jury of his peers, legally did the crime, and paid the price… I fully agree with the sentencing passed on my relative… I feel horrible for all those involved… This is not a case of “mob out for blood.” This is a case in which people don’t want to be responsible for their actions… And they should be. I feel sorry for the victim, I feel sorry for the victims family, I feel sorry for the family of the young man who made such a stupid choice… everyone will suffer this for the rest of their lives… I know… I live it… But the young man needs to pay for his crime…

castrateallrapists

The mob is actually right in this case Craig, since our criminal justice system failed the victim.

qqie

I actually think this is a home Dan Turner owns and rents out to another family.
The address for the Turner’s is:
230 Volusia Ave, Dayton, OH 45409

Maybe give them a call to check?
A few associated numbers:

(937) 298-4485
(937) 875-3109
(937) 310-6102

qqie

I’m not saying these are correct. But this is what is listed. Publically. Don’t harass them.

bw222

Supposedly the Turners live in Oakwood, a close-in suburb where the “old money” lives in Dayton. Oakwood has Dayton addresses. Bellbrook is more remote. I used to live there.

Actually, 230 Volusia is their previous address that was sold in July 2014 (per public records). Please do not harass the new occupants.

Shame on you for caring about them! These people have made it clear that they think rape is ok!! They are more concerned about the fact their sons personality has changed. They are more concerned at the fact he can’t even eat a steak. What about the victim? I’m sure her personality has drastically changes. And I imagine eating a. Steak is the last thing on her mind. And you want to stick up for them. You are no better than them. I bet y’all friends. Did you donate to his fund?

cadit quaestio

So people can only be singular in their caring? By your reasoning, Brock’s Father can’t care for his son while lamenting what happened to the young women? Somehow those things must be mutually exclusive? The Father must abandon his son before empathy or sympathy can be found for his plight? This is a tragedy all around…the young woman’s family is devastated, i am sure but I can also understand and have feelings for the Father. I am sure he did not ask for this to happen. I am sure he did not say on the first day of his son’s kindergarten that he hoped one day his son would be convicted of a crime.

anon

But, he isn’t sympathetic to the victim at all. There has been much finger pointing and blame, no accepting of wrong actions. You can still love your child but not their actions. He has only whined and made excuses.

mockiev

My information is available as public record, even though there are people I don’t want knowing where I live. It’s listed in the white pages, because that’s the way it has been for a very long time. They can change their numbers, and they can request unlisted numbers from the phone company, but anything in the public records is available for aggregation, just ask any person trying to get away from an abuser.

I suspect, though, if Brock had gotten a sentence that was in line with his crimes and if his father and friends hadn’t been so egregious in their comments about the assault and their son’s involvement, this wouldn’t be brought to anyone’s attention. The fact they are hiring a man known for getting people out of legal issues on technicalities vs real guilt or innocence… probably isn’t helping.

Death to the turner family, anyone that supports them we will come after you too

cybrcyn

Not cool to put out someone’s home address. While i don’t agree with his father, i certainly understand his desire to defend his son. Most of us would do the same.

ChillaxEveryone

I know plenty of people who’ve been in the Santa Clara County Jail. It’s full of gangsters and drug addicts, not violent criminals. They don’t take kindly to sex offenders there. This boy’s gonna get what’s coming to him, be sure of that.
The dad may be stupid as all get out, but he didn’t commit the crime. The dad’s just guilty of being a douchebag in the court of public opinion. I don’t think it’s necessary to harass them at home (especially since it doesn’t look like anyone knows for sure the correct addy and phone #). And I believe they’ll all get what’s coming to them in the end.
There’s a special place in hell waiting for this kid and his idiot dad, be it in this world or the next.
Anyway that’s just my 2 cents!

ChillaxEveryone

Plus, it’s entirely plausible the dad really believes in his heart of hearts the kid did nothing wrong. You can’t really blame a parent for that. Maybe he put the blinders on because facing the truth is too horrible for him to comprehend. Again, doesn’t make him a target for harassment.
Regarding Brock Turner himself, he can rot away for all I care, so yeah, harass away on that P.O.S.

This is not okay

Except that it was just confirmed today by a jail spokesperson that he is being kept in protective custody with a deputy escort whenever he leaves his cell….. protocol for convicted rapists, LGBT prisoners and people who quit gangs so they stay safe. *sigh*

Steve

I would defend my son, if he was innocent. He was guilty, proven guilty, and is a shame to their privileged, spoiled, Cavs fan family. “20 minutes of action”, is that what Ted Bundy’s parents said? Or maybe Timothy McVeigh? The Unabomber’s brother did not “defend” him, he turned him into the cops, because he was GUILTY. Don’t be an enabler, cyber cynic.

Rapistgetassrapedinjail

I, for one, would never defend my son if he raped a girl of any age..

Kontiki

I would stand by my son but would not defend his criminal acts. Big difference.

Anonymous 7

You know it’s not the fact that he defended his son it’s the fact that he makes his son the victim. Twenty minted of action and he doesn’t eat his favorite foods really. This man deserves to understand what being hurt to the core really means. At some point to be a good parent you have to say I love you, but I am ashamed of your actions. You have to let them be punished for what they did. That is the problem with our society the privileged don’t get punished while the poor and those who of different races get the harsher sentences. This is injustice at its core. It’s also people not standing up for their mistakes. He deserves way more than 6 months. Brock and his father are what is wrong with our society. Just because the parents work hard doesn’t mean the kid has learned anything and that is apparent with Brock.

Jessica

Twenty, you should be sentenced to 6 months in jail. You are basically condoning and giving individuals means by which to go hurt this family.

Does it really matter if the victim was drunk, unconscious or fully aware? Rape is rape.. no matter the circumstances. People know right from wrong and that includes an 18/19 yr old privileged punk who thought it was OK because they danced and maybe kissed? HE clearly knew what he was doing. If he didn’t have rape on his mind, she wouldn’t have been in that position– underwear next to her, dress and bra over her head, necklace wrapped around her neck.. humping her in the damn dirt. If he was any kind of a decent human being, he wouldn’t have taken her behind a dumpster! But, I guess decency skipped a few generations. His parents have no clue what that word means either. 6 months in a county jail, what a joke. The only ‘good’ thing to come from this sentencing, he will always be a sex offender. There is only one victim here and she will forever play this in her head for the rest of her life. He will try to ‘play the victim’ because he lost his scholarship and his life will never be the same. Only thing I can say is..think before u act. How would u feel if someone would do whatever it is ur planning to ur mother or sister? And if u really have to ‘think’ about said action, walk away from it.

CraigD

Actually, and Im sorry, but rape is not rape. Rape can be a vicious physical assault where sex is forced on someone desperately trying to avoid it, or rape can be nothing more than a tool for an unhappy partner to torment someone with, or rape can simply be a lie as an excuse for having sex with someone and “getting caught”. The broad definition of rape is the problem. You cannot compare the multiple current definitions of “rape”.

SteveP

Rape is rape. “Broad definition of rape”. That could well qualify as the single most idiotic statement ever posted to the internet. No small feat! Kudos. The examples you gave are not rape. Committing nonconsensual sex is rape. You are being hyperbolic and dense with your irrelevant examples trying to argue an assertion that is indefensible as it is empirically false.

Laura Emmons Schaffner

quit being an educational snob. Who gives a flying f*** with the definition. It was a sexual assault. Does that set better with you? Wrong is still wrong and to argue about words and definitions is so lightweight.

Steve Kaufmann

You are right, rape is rape and this was not rape. Did you even read the report or did you just find the urge to spew all the big words you know? He was convicted of sexual assault, she wasn’t found passed out in a bedroom and he decided to mount and penetrate her. They were outside making out and after she passed out he continued but did not insert his penis. So while what he did was irreparable and the poor woman, regardless of her drinking habits, was totally assaulted he didn’t rape her as you repeatedly comment. Sexual assault is sexual assault and he certainly deserves to be on the registered offenders list, felony conviction and a few years in prison but stop jumping on a bandwagon, speaking false accusations and sounding ignorant.

Joanne G

Rape is unwanted, non-consensual sex. Period. The “broad definition of rape” is not the problem. The problem is that some people think it is ok to force themselves on others.

CraigD

Dead wrong again. I appreciate your desire to be on the side of the witch burners, but sex with an underage person is rape whether it was consensual or not. It is rape whether it was wanted or not. Thats just one example.

Boo Ellis

Dead wrong again. A minor can’t “consent” to sex with an adult, just as a minor can’t consent to joining the military nor consent to allowing their body to be utilized for medical purposes nor consent to adopt a child, and on and on and on. You don’t even realize how ridiculous you sound, which is usually the case for someone who has committed the same crime and is rationalizing that they didn’t do anything wrong. Damn those “witch burners” who won’t let you stick broom handles into 6-year-old boys’ anuses, eh, Muffin Boy?

End White Privilege

You are an idiot, and you’re the ONLY one here trying to change the definition from what it has ALWAYS been. Straight from the FBI, the definition of rape is “sexual penetration, no matter how slight, with a sexual organ, fingers, objects, or otherwise, against the will of the victim.” He is guilty of this.
The basic understanding of rape has ALWAYS been penetration of any sort without consent. There’s a reason alcohol is called the most popular date rape drug… because someone who is that drunk cannot consent. Someone who is not conscious cannot consent. Silence is not consent. Coercion is not consent. Less than 5% of rapes are committed by evil strangers jumping out of bushes or alleyways. THIS IS ALL COMMON SENSE. You are literally bragging about how uneducated you are and the entire world is laughing at your stupidity. Spare yourself the embarrassment and go read a book.

Brock without a doubt, for a fact, committed rape. This has always been the definition of rape. Get over it. If you disagree with the definition, take it up with the damn dictionary, because you’re clearly talking out of your ass.

And for everyone else reading, I live in Kettering, right outside of Oakwood, literally a ten minute walk from where Brock’s family lives. Several friends of mine have plans for peaceful, anonymous protesting methods that will make sure that his family won’t dare step inside ANY store– CVS, DLM, Kroger, Walmart, Graeters, Starbucks, etc– without being reminded that their son is a rapist who should be spending ten years in prison. His mug shot will be everywhere, the victims statement will be (metaphorically of course) will be flooding the streets. We plan to do this until they decide to be decent parents and hold their son accountable. If that were my kid, I’d be telling him to man up and take the punishment he deserves, regardless if it broke my heart. I know three other rapists BESIDES Brock that live in the small suburb of Oakwood, none of whom got caught. The victim blaming in that area is palpable, and needs to be confronted and addressed. I will not rest until justice is served for this victim.

Jessica

You are a liar. If that was your son, you would be doing the same things his parents are. Don’t you dare go protesting, IDIOT.

WesleyTNG (@WesleyTNG)

Pretty pathetic a male would say this. “Definition of rape 1 : an act or instance of robbing or despoiling or carrying away a person by force 2 : unlawful sexual activity and usually sexual intercourse carried out forcibly or under threat of injury against the will usually of a female or with a person who is beneath a certain age or incapable of valid consent — compare sexual assault, statutory rape 3 : an outrageous violation”

Le Tigre (@letigre_syd)

No CraigD, SORRY… rape is sex without consent. That is what happened here. The victim was drunk, which is not a crime. Brock Turner raped and sodomised her while she was unconscious. That is a crime. That is rape.

Everything you were just talking about is obfuscating and nonsense. There is no broad definition. It is sex without consent.

SuzyS

There were witnesses that he was having sex with an unconscious woman. Even if she had been briefly conscious when they began having sex, she was clearly so drunk that she couldn’t stay conscious. A person in such a state cannot give consent. He penetrated her. That is rape. He tried to run when he was confronted by the two students from Sweden. He KNEW he was doing somethig wrong or he wouldn’t have tried to run. He had sex with an unconscious woman behind a dumpster on the ground, outside, leaving her exposed and vulnerable … he used her as if she was an object, for his own gratification without a thought to her wellbeing. He could have chosen to help her, protect her, help her find her friends or get home safely. Instead he raped her. Being drunk doesn’t mean you lose your ability to know raping someone wrong. He knew what he was doing was wrong. He just thought he could get away with it, and if the two Swedish guys hadn’t come across him or had chosen to simply walk on and not bother investigating what was happening (because they knew something was not right), and then stopped him from running away until police arrived, he might have been able to get away with it by vanishing into the night (likely leaving the victim there exposed and vulnerable to all who walked by). Maybe everyone defending him who thought he was such a nice guy didn’t really know him as well as they thought they did.

Dear CraigD. Kindly go and screw yourself. You sound like you’ve been awfully unsuccessful in getting a willing partner to have sex with, thus your eagerness to soften the definition to where it will fit your profile and Brock’s. Maybe brush your teeth once in a while, adhere to personal hygiene and try not to be such a douche. Your chances with the ladies might increase.

susan

So you’re upholding this sorry pos for RAPING an unconscious young lady? Rape is rape no matter how rich someone is!

Jessica

This is not a rape case. It is a sexual assault case. Do your homework Susan.

Majorana

Yes, it does matter. Because she was unconscious there is no reasonable way at all to claim that she even could have given consent. There is no “he said, she said” because she couldn’t say anything at all. There is no ambiguity.

Not that any of it mattered to the judge, though. All that mattered was that a harsh punishment – longer than say, summer vacation – could impact the man’s life.

emma

from what I have read, when the students on the bikes approached, your son tried to run, not a usual reaction from someone having consensual sex, your son is a rapist.end of story, your entire “boys will be boys” attitude, and lame attempts to shift the blame on the actual victim of your son’s crime, is truly pathetic, not unlike, raping an unconscious girl, pretty obvious where your son gets his attitude toward women from.

Dear Dan Turner,
Your son committed sexual assault. Period. Stop it now. And do you have a daughter. I thought I saw a picture of your family, with a son and daughter blurred. If you do, or even if you don’t, if your daughter was sexually assaulted behind a dumpster, WOULD YOU REALLY JUST CALL IT TWENTY MINUTES OF ACTION?

DJ

Dan,
Did you know that as a registered sex offender, your adult son when he has children won’t be allowed in their school? Sexual offender registry is checked for entrance. Also, everyone knows the repercussions of having a felony conviction. I think it would be helpful for you to teach him to be accountable. He chose to sexually assault a Lin incapacitated young woman, someone’s daughter, sister, granddaughter. I taught my son that if he’s at a party at college and sees a young woman inebriated and needs help, make sure she gets home safely or is taken somewhere where she is safe. He’s done that many times. Yours didn’t.

Lewton Quiton

Hopefully, after this piece of garbage loses the appeal his sentence will be increased to a reasonable 7-8 years in STATE PRISON, not jail. During that time he’ll probably change his sexual preference, thus not having to deal with the kids’ school problem, since he won’t have any.

Die tunerS

Die Brock kill your self and maybe we won’t let your family endure “20 mins of action” your family is good as dead

Wait until he registers as a sexy offender. We will know where he lives. Let the “20 mins of action” begin for him and his family