A person claiming to be the Chelsea bomber detailed his plans in a Tumblr manifesto. The ramblings were first picked up by PIX 11 reporter Mario Diaz
in the hours after the September 17 explosion that injured nearly 30 people. The attack happened along the busy 23rd street at 6th Avenue in Manhattan. The person behind the Tumblr page wrote, "I’m the NY Bomber: This is will be my manifesto." There were two posts on the page, which has now been deleted. They are titled, "Taking a human life" and "Manufacturing Test Explosives." The person writes, "The explosives detonated in New York City, that was me. Those were just some tests, I know where I have made errors and I will not make the same mistake next time." The FBI is looking into the authenticity of blog.
ABC New York's CeFaan Kim reported
that one of the injured is an 8-year-old boy who was sitting in a car close to where the explosion took place. New York City Mayor Bill De Blasio said in the aftermath of the explosion that all of the victims had been released from hospitals in the area. He added that the blast was not the result of "international terror." The New York Daily News reported at one point in the immediate aftermath
that a "possible suspect" is being questioned by police after being picked up eight blocks from the explosion.
The 23rd street explosion came just hours after a trashcan bomb exploded in Seaside Park, New Jersey, according to the Associated Press.
Nobody was hurt during that incident which took place just prior to a charity 5k run for Marines and sailors. CNN reports
that there was no damage to the area. The network adds that two bombs were found in the area but that only one detonated.
Mayor Bill De Blasio said that it's too early to say if the Chelsea and Seaside Park explosions are related. Anybody with any information about the explosion is asked to call 1800-577-TIPS.
Here are the blog posts from the person claiming to be the Chelsea bomber: