How Many Attended the March for Life vs. Women’s March on Washington? [PHOTOS]

Dawn Stover (@dawnstover)

Fact check please! The Fox News story does NOT say that 20,000 attended today’s march. It says that 20,000 attended the FIRST march. Fox gave no estimate for today’s march. But because it’s Fox, they tried to suggest that the inauguration and Women’s March crowd sizes were similar (as if!), and that today’s was similarly “massive.”

Moriarty

Obvious error in first sentence of the Heavy News? story: going to Fox news site it references shows that in 2013 650 thousand attended the march for life… not 20 thousand as quoted in this article. Apparently, Heavy news? is NOT a credible news site… not sure who Heavy News is… never heard of them…who has?

FAKE news?

Even your edits are wrong. What number is larger writer 650,000 or 450,000? Your spin is still that this March is smaller but you do not have facts to support that scifi/ fantasy opinion.

jmay06

“The Women’s March on Washington was attended by an estimated 485,000 people last Saturday. And numbers for Trump’s inauguration ranged from 700,000 to 900,000, with a couple unverified sources estimating the numbers as being even lower.” This is strange reporting. It seems you got the numbers for the events mixed up.

Stephanie Dube Dwilson

Those are the estimates, with links to the corresponding stories that explain where the estimates come from.

FAKE news?

Zoobie your 92 bus example was trumps rally not this one from today. Your facts are wrong….Just saying.

JHS

The difference between the MFL and all those other rallies is that this one draws over half a million every single year now, and 44 years in, just keeps getting bigger.

LoriAnn

It is true…the media always down plays the amount of people that come every single year…and people that come are typically young adults…we are and will be, silent no more!! Millions of people throughout the country have been peacefully protesting each year! In Washington, DC, 2017, the number of people is around 800,000 or more this year in one place alone. There is video coverage of the event. We will never go away until the injustice is changed. Real women give dignity to all women born and unborn!

FAKE news?

Can you show me a paper that says otherwise? Media chose to ignore this March but not the ‘womans’ March. Sounds like media propaganda

Chris

The Women’s March was held on 7 continents and in every state. The total estimate ranged from 3.3 million to 4 million. However, the Pro-Life march has been held for many years, growing in numbers. I don’t believe the official count is out. And I did watch it on the TV news (NBS, ABC and CBS).

So both marches are quite significant.

Rosalind Newton

Then oppose all killing. War and more.
Though shall not kill …has no footnote.
Kill any living ,but oppose abortion is pure hypocricy. AMEN.

Patti

Thou shalt not kill has no footnote, but then again, we’re allowed to kill in self-defense, or to stop someone from being killed. By your “logic”, we should have no police or military. Good luck living in a society like that.

And it’s funny to see the “not enough” slander rear its ugly head on this topic. When slavery abolitionists were fighting to stop slavery in the US, would you have been standing around judging them inadequate for not doing more?

Legalized abortion in the US violates due process in our constitution. An entire class of people are being executed for being (almost always) an inconvenience. And think about this: Who does abortion really benefit, the woman, or those around her who don’t want to deal with her having a child?

A real person

Well then start mass adopting babies of those who don’t want them, Patti. Do you think the people forced to have, child they don’t want, are suddenly going to adequately take care of the child, or are you okay with the taxes and expense these children will have on you when these children ARE inevitably on Medicaid, and other benefits? Most women aborting children cannot support the child. So someone has to, and usually that falls to the states/fed govt. But if adoption is your answer, Patti you better have several adopted children already, Bc there are plenty of disgarded children that were never aborted that still don’t have homes. Offer solutions not bullshit blame about abortion as if you don’t understand how hard raising a child in this society is, especially without support. When did you have your kids? The 70/80s? I’m guessing not in this day and age. I had an abortion at 17, Bc one Halloween I confessed my love to my 23 yrs old boyfriend. After he snuck me into a bar and got me drunk. I confessed my love to him not even able to sit up in his car I was so drunk. He took me to his home and wanted sex. I told him it wasn’t a good idea I was off birth control Bc I couldn’t afford it. He push to continue, and drunk I wasn’t physically in control. He got me pregnant. At thanksgiving we found out and he Then told me to get rid of it. I wanted at first to keep it (I wasn’t even a high school graduate at the time) then he said no matter what I will not be with you, have it or not. Have it, I will move back to my home state Connecticut and have nothing to do with you. I had the abortion at 8 weeks. That same guy told me I was a monster after. 2 months later, he thanked me for getting the abortion. He told me he had gotten me pregnant on purpose Bc when I confessed my love to him, he didn’t feel anything (after a year of dating) so he said he purposely pushed his body on mine and came inside me To prove to himself he could finally feel something for anything. I was a naive child (if you’d noticed I’d met him at 16) and taken advantage of by his intended actions. I have two children now whom I love, (not with him) I don’t regret my decision to abort. I shouldn’t be forced to raise a child from someone who took advantage of and influenced me at such a naive age or this person who purposefully engaged in an act to force motherhood on me, without any intent to help or be there (another twist I found out he was sexually abused as a child, putting The child he gave me a potential to be abused by him…. Bc he WAS a little unstable and his behavior made more sense after knowing that) clearly you don’t know anyone in a really dire situation. I’ve been there. My children now are on Medicaid. As would have been the fetus I aborted. So unless you want to adopt the unwanted fetuses (I would have never adopted out) or cover then under your taxes for proceeds benefits for these children. Really critical think the situations and economical impacts. Abortions aren’t funded by the government, the government only has funded places that give referrals, however unwanted, birthed children are most definitely being funded by the government. So next time you wanna bitch about taxes either shut up or own that when they cut those taxes, some of those Unaborted children will be suffering and perhaps even dying from your views

sally-whuts-her-name

How about men not taking advantage of a woman in a drunken state? So women should be weary of men cause they can’t control themselves. You think so little of men that they have no self control?

Amala Lane

Remove the log in your own eye first. Don’t judge. Don’t impose your religious dictates on me.

Heather

Hello, it’s called birth control. Abortion is a Money-maker, do you think those doctors or planned parenthood or anyone else who does the abortion really care about the women. If they did, there would be significant on-going therapy afterwards. Women’s Health, it is not about that at all. Over 80% of women who have an abortion end up in one of the following categories: 1. Never have a child due to the guilt of the abortion. 2. Never get married due to the guilt of the abortion. 3. Have prolong depression due to the guilt of the abortion. 4. Commit suicide due to the guilt of the abortion. I have done many studies on this subject and for those who want to raise a flag to Women’s Health and how this is their right, have no idea the hell they are putting women world wide through. As far as adoption you idiot, there are over 50,000 families who are trying to adopt every year. PS: I have been in that dire situation and I made it out with my child!

Gil

Gil says,
You are a person who obviously believes that human life is not sacred and has no moe value than an animal like a pet. Many people are PETA activists, but are
okay with killing unborn children! The value of human life has greatly diminished since legal abortion began. God forgive us! Don’t humans have more control
over their bodies than a dog in heat?

sally-whuts-her-name

“entire class of people are being executed” Hyperbole much? That is an erroneous statement. It is not “people”, it cannot exist outside the womb. Yet you have problem belonging to a group that increases military size so they can trigger wars when they like, a party that literally will kill millions of live functioning human beings and financially devastating their families by preventing them from receiving health care, stopping refugees from war torn countries from finding a safe haven, and a party that loves to stop funding for feeding and offering a safety net to millions of Americans that need food and assistance.

Our country hates to poor and children. I don’t see you people marching for them. Why don’t you work for making support better for women and children and then maybe a single woman could keep her child and not starve or be financially penalized. Or gosh maybe let go of your religious dogma and educate young men and women to birth control.

When I was hungry, you asked for my Social Security Card.
When I was thirsty, you poisoned the water with lead to save money.
When I was naked, you raped me and then blamed me because I was naked.
When I was sick, you denied my insurance application.
When I was in prison, you raised the contract rates and increased your profits.
When I was a stranger, you called me a terrorist and deported me.
Whatsoever you do to the least of these, you do to me.

Suds

Actually they care a lot about women. And Your 80% figure is grossly wrong. You must be conducting your studies off of right wing websites. I know several women who have abortion who have gone on to have terrific families and none have depression. Look, a large percentage of faith communities do not believe that ensoulment occurs at conception or that abortion is murder. And a large percentage of Republican women are pro choice. No one is trying to actively have you violate your faith by having an abortion. The fact that you are heck bent on forcing your sectarian beliefs into law is appalling. That’s why I marched, and why I am no longer a Republican.

Lou

The actual biblical translation is Thou shalt not murder. Defensive of a country or people is not murder.
Killing the innocent is.

Lonborghini

You don’t have to be a six-footer.
You don’t have to have a great brain.
You don’t have to have any clothes on. You’re
A Catholic the moment Dad came,

Because

Every sperm is sacred.
Every sperm is great.
If a sperm is wasted,
God gets quite irate.

Every sperm is sacred.
Every sperm is great.
If a sperm is wasted,
God gets quite irate.

Let the heathen spill theirs
On the dusty ground.
God shall make them pay for
Each sperm that can’t be found.

Every sperm is wanted.
Every sperm is good.
Every sperm is needed
In your neighborhood.

Hindu, Taoist, Mormon,
Spill theirs just anywhere,
But God loves those who treat their
Semen with more care.

Read more: Monty Python – Every Sperm Is Sacred Lyrics | MetroLyrics

datta

It’s funny how you people make up numbers — or don’t show them when they’re BAD for you!!!! NO, there weren’t 100,000’s at your march. Sorry! BTW, since you support the rights of the unborn, then you MUST also support the rights of the LIVING!! My son was diagnosed with an incurable cancer at age 10. It’s not genetic, it wasn’t caused by anything known, he wasn’t exposed to radiation, doesn’t smoke or drink — it’s a fluke & incurable. His oral chemo (which he’ll have to take for LIFE IN ORDER TO LIVE) costs over $20,000 per month. DO YOU SUPPORT HIS RIGHT TO LIVE?????? WHEN POWER IS RETURNED TO THE INSURANCE INDUSTRY, HE’LL LOSE BENEFITS FOR HAVING A PRE-EXISTING CONDITION. He will die a slow and agonizing death – which will by ALL YOUR FAULT & THE FAULT OF DUMP & HIS EVIL MINIONS. Amen.

This statement “with a couple unverified sources estimating the numbers as being even lower.” should be omitted from the article. It indicates bias — why not use Trump as a source and his unverified claim of 1.5 to 2 million??

datta

Dump will enter his own numbers for the next 4 years. He’s telling the country to get news from only HIM & his people & his news outlets. He’s turning the USA into North Korea. The Congress is feckless and unable to handle a madman. But wait: you thought Snowden was bad???? People will talk – probably anonymously, but they’ll come out when the ravages of Dump start roosting at home.

zoobie

Bus permit data says otherwise. 92 buses of schoolchildren on a field trip to dc.

Perhaps the other people got there how… Theres very little parking downtown

Metro numbers will show us how many folks came … After subtracting the regular friday commuters. Its going to be tens of thousands not hundreds of thousands.

Tom Greenwell

There is no reference in this article to the fact that the Women’s March in Washington was accompanied by other massive rallies throughout the US (and, indeed, the world). Counting the other rallies, particularly within the United States, is critical to any meaningful comparison.

Karen

Your numbers wildly over estimate this attendance in this year and every other year. One metric (aka fact) is the number of buses registered. This is for parking which is at RFK. It is a finite number. You can go in the parking lot and count them. This year 450 buses were registered for the inauguration, 1800 for the Women’s March (that is the maximum number of places available) and 95 were registered for the March for Life. There has never been 650,000 at this march. Why are you so wildly inflating these numbers? Numbers are the most concrete of facts. Another number to share is the number of Metro trips. You can count the spike from a normal Friday or the total of the trips asp do assume everyone is coming to the march. The day is not quite over yet and it will probably be tomorrow before Metro reports. Trump has around 500,000 trips and the Women’s March had over a million. Between those two metrics you can come up with a reasonable estimate relative to the other recent two. It sounds to me that it is about 1/4 to 1/5 of the inaugural crowd which was about 250,000. That sounds like about 50-65,000, a standard number for this particular March. It is, however, not a one time even and this same number, more or less, comes this day every year. Let’s report facts and stop making things up, and that goes for everyone.

Rosalind Newton

Thousands came with private cars ..stayed in churches and homes and shelters that support full womans rights.

FAKE news?

The facts are that in 2013 650k came to the event. All news sources agree on that. All sources admit at least 500k and probably more to this March. It got very little coverage I agree with you on that.

Karen Stinnett

myth buster

We didn’t park at RFK. We parked at the Smithsonian, and the bus left and came back for us after the March.

Sara

So many frustrated people over an article that surprisingly for them as they are used by now to see it everywhere, it doesn’t mock Trump, or the Catholic people, or conservatives. In fact who cares that the Women’s March was so huge and this one was smaller. Two people that join together and make their opinion expressed it means that deserve respect and they have the right to speak up. All the commenters here are just frustrated zombies.

Sara, I’m with you. The march for life has been going on for. Fourty four years and at that time started out with 20,000. These are heroic people who stand up for what they believe In a respectful manner. After seeing the little innocent children being made to march with vulgar signs and celebrities thinking they’re cool with their mocking the President, all respect should be gone…….. I did not not know that everyone in the woman’s March was pro abortion, I thought that they had several agenda’s. Pro life marchers were all for pro life!!!!!!!!

It is inaccurate to label one side pro abortion and the other pro life. Those who are pro choice favor letting woman have the choice of deciding whether abortion is suitable or not. Those who are pro life are forcing their anti-abortion views on everyone else whether they agree or not.

Jo

No, that is incorrect. Those who are pro-life are just affirming science, that human life has been created. A living being, a human, is alive and growing from conception and regardless of what people want to believe, that fact cannot be disputed. Abortion is legal and you have the right to murder your offspring if you want. Pro-lifers are just affirming that they believe that the right to life should extend to all humans.

KOnineteen (@ameara19)

Being made to march?! Bitch please! The Womens’ March was pro rights and a woman’s rights over her own body. Don’t shovel your holier than thou nonsense at us. The children there were with their families and should grow up knowing their bodies are theirs, not horrible Mike Pence’s!

Rosalind Strongfinch

Your numbers are so messed up… That was well over a million women at the women’s March last week… Please check your facts again!

casey

i am pro life. but i have a career. i have to work. i dont have the time to go to marches. the womans march, the anti trump protests…they’re mostly full of dumb loser kids who either dont work or are in school & skip…with the full endorsement of the progressive professors & teachers. and they’re really mostly there to socialize & have fun hanging out with their frinds anyway. nobody on this side takes them seriously.

Jane

Casey you have absolutely no idea what your are talking about. The women’s march was made up of people from all socioeconomic classes, with the vast majority working people, blue collar, white collar, doctors, lawyers, artists, teachers…and on and on. It was a gathering (on a Saturday) of very respectful people who were exercising their constitutional rights! I guess you are one in the “alternative truth” camp. Well your alternative truths will not make us go away!

ABridifatry

Hahaha… who’s living in the alternative reality here? Talking about this “march”… don’t forget the hijab and Sharia promoting contingent in attendance, clueless feminists wearing oppressive extremist garment known as the hijab adorned with your stars and stripes… how’s that for ignorance— also, don’t forget the out of touch virtue signalling female multi-millionaires attending, one that wanted a feminazi jihad on the White House and another on her period frantically babbling about Hitler and the cost of tampons. Then you had the Clinton crowd still moaning about their loss, and then again the ones that just do not like Trump’s comb-over. Shows you how much of a joke the “Womens March” was— an utterly disgusting and rudderless mish mash of motivations and agendas. Try again next year with a modicum of consistency and awareness of the causes you claim to be fighting for.

Stuart

Nuns don’t wear the habbit 24/7 they only where it for services or during work hours. Any other time is by their choice and most chose not to. A woman can be STONED TO DEATH for not wearing her hajib. Haven’t heard of any Nuns being stoned lately.

Tellitlikeitis

Actually the antiabortion March buses came mostly from private catholic and evangelical schools busing kids into march. Numbers were not high.

Zac

Sorry Casey, but I for one do go to school and i didn’t this just so i could skip. My school is a Catholic school and we had tickets to go and i decided to go for this was something i believed in, and still do and i believe its important. Yes i do understand some people cant go because of finacial reasons. But those that go, go for they are able to and they want to. I was at the march and everyone i met and saw were there because they believed in this cause.

Beside your own article (which you cite), where are you getting 700-900 thousand for Trump Inauguration? All Crowd Scientist reports I’ve seen have it at 160-200 thousand. Your Woman’s March number are in line with other credible sources, but your 2017 Inauguration number are irresponsibly inaccurate.

Meghan

The photo used to represent the March for Life is grossly misleading. It may even be the tail end of the march, but I’m not 100% sure. Nearly any other photo, or a time lapse video of the entire March make it clear that there were far more people than appear in the photo you chose. That’s clearly no accident. ‘20,000 people’? A photo of the March ending and the street subsequently half empty? More media lies and fake news.

Missy

700-900,000 attended Trumps inauguration! Is he paying you to write completely fictional information? Any reputable news source states his low attendance numbers were around 200-250,000. The number of protesters that showed up the next day was double. Attempt to have a shred of dignity when putting your name on an article and report actual facts and not alternative garbage (aka- lies).

ABridifatry

The New York Times’ along with the Independent and others state that the 2017 inauguration had about 1/3 of the Obama 2009 inauguration attendance — this is also backed up by other experts in the field, among them several named professors in data journalism from around the world. The low estimate for 2009 is 1 200 000 — the high one, which appears to be an overall number not only present on the lawn, is 1 800 000. So, the general consensus among actual expert in the field, which says about 1/3 compared to 2009, would be 400 000 (2017) to 1 200 000 (2009) or, using the higher estimate, 600 000 (2017) to 1 800 000.

The Womens March (2017) has an estimate of 500 000, March For Life no figures for this year that I can see — the record from 2013 remains at 650 000

Kathleen Stells

The piTunes you posted are deceptive to say the least.
The picture containing the monument was taken before the first speaker took the stage and people were still trying to get through security.
Second, I know from fact by 3 PM people were still marching down constitutional ave of course minus the burning of limousines, busting up local businesses and throwing rocks.
If you choose to report at least tell the truth

Ivy Bennett

The way people hear have argued over the size of the woman’s March compared to the pro life March, tells me the woman’s march was about abortion rights. Why else does everyone get so concerned over whose numbers were bigger?

Interesting to read all the posts and media about who has the most numbers. It’s like a bunch of guys showing off who has the biggest balls. Surprising is how many women are now a part of this phenomenon of “who has the bigger whatever.” The truth is when a sperm and egg unite between two humans, it immediately forms into nothing else except a new human. It form neither into a monkey, nor a zebra. It doesn’t become a frog or an amoeba. Simply a human being. It is a human life from the get go. And if we want equality, then it begins with the very start when they unite.

Steve Kasian

MORE ERRONEOUS INFORMATION FROM THE FAKE NEWS MEDIA:

PRESIDENT TRUMP DID NOT ATTEND THE MARCH FOR LIFE EVENT, AND THEREFORE DID NOT SPEAK THERE.

Steve Kasian

FROM YOUR FAKE NEWS STORY: “President Donald Trump, Vice President Mike Pence, Kellyanne Conway, Cardinal Timothy Doland, and Sen. Jodi Ernst were among the people who spoke during the rally, to an excited and enthusiastic crowd. Other “sister rallies” took place in other parts of the nation. “

dora glasberg

I think this crowd was LESS than 25,000. THese writers need to get a grip with their “We’ll get back to you later.’

I think everybody in the world came out for Trump’s inauguration. He is just so awesome…and won so big…and, and there were so many people…and they just stood and clapped so long for him…like, like a …God

Americans

Great article! I’m sorry for all the ignorant people on both sides of this who would rather criticize your numbers than do actual research. In this toxic partisan climate, Stephanie Dube Dwilson is a breath of fresh air. When you get criticism from both Republicans AND Democrats, you know you’re doing something right. Keep up the good work!

Non gov zombie

When the nation celebrate more turning out for the murder of babies than the pro life numbers something is very much wrong! As a white European all I hear is the dwindling numbers and people wonder why?

Just Me

There is zero chance that between 700 and 900k attended Trump’s inauguration. There were 500 bus permits. Assume 50 per bus and you get 25k people. Metro ridership by 11AM on Jan 20th was at 193k. On the average weekday the number is approximately 198k. Bear in mind, Friday is probably less than average, and during the inauguration easily half the ridership could have been Trump related, but that still puts it at well under 200k. The Woman’s March by contrast was around 250k at the same time. Average Metro ridership (on a Saturday) was 1/8th that. Lots more came after 11AM, and there were 1500 buses. Realistically, Trump’s inauguration was probably around 200k, and the Women’s March was probably around 600k. That is generally considered to be the largest protest in the history of DC.

Drake

Honestly, who cares what the numbers are? This competition between inauguration and march sizes. “Mine is bigger than yours.” No, it’s not about keeping the press honest or defending the public from fake news. People in this comment section – get a life!

flyin

I mean, wow dude is jeavy news like heavy metal, a hippy scene. Wow like man do ya know where I can get some good stuff. Can ya dig it man, like we all for peace.

Lynn

What matters more, as you all go back and forth over numbers, is the type of individual that are attending these “right to life marches”! There is no violence, no profanity, no trashing this one or that one, no sick mention of body parts, no degrading language, no so called celebrities making speeches hoping to make a name for themselves, NO just everyday females who are showing respect for this country, showing how you can protest and still be a non violent prideful female without the need to trash opposing ideas and be left with dignity as you march for life!

A real person

It’s not a bunch of only females marching, it’s a lot of men weighing in too, but wait they can’t grow a baby and have no idea what it’s like going through. The women’s march was a bunch of mostly women and it was protested around the world not just your tiny “nice but judgemental” crew

Sue

This is such fake news. You get pertinent facts totally wrong. You cite long-debunked attendance figures and unfairly smear sites that got attendance figures correct. No crediblity for you.

Nicole

Lets also account that the March for Life was on a work day and the March for Women was on a Saturday in the dead of winter. Im not giving excuses for crowd size, but its a little easier travel when you’re not taking money out of your paycheck to go.

Cici Gutierrez

Be a journalist and give stats side by side instead of hemming and hawing. This is like grading a 5th grader’s essay.

Baamac

Read all the arguing about numbers below. Who’s is bigger. Here’s the only number I care about appx. 58.5 million — number of unborn babies killed since Roe v. Wade.

GOP – “Where Pro-Life ends at birth….” Cuts healthcare & K-12 funding to the bones

dandy

Don’t give one damn about crowd size. But I sure as hell give a damn about the murder of the unborn

Comparing this crowd with the Women’s March is only relevant if you include the Women’s March numbers in New York, Chicago, Los Angeles, etc. As for worldwide participation I’ve seen estimates in the millions.

if you do that then you have to count the march for life events in other countries – even though they’re held on different dates, and if you do that your woman’s march is rinky dink

Ellie

I didn’t think there would be very accurate information here, and, apparently, by your own admission, I was right. I wOULD like to see your update, though, when it becomes available. I wasn’t terribly surprised that no mention was made herein of the “912” Rally in 2009 of 2 million TEA partiers. (The 2 million was provided by a British news organization, who had no reason to either over- or under-state the count.)

Liz

Frankly all you anti choice people here’s some facts: Abortion at an all time low due to the fact that birth control available. The MAJORITY of us (close to 70% of us) do not want Roe V. Wade repealed. We WANT, DEMAND, and will continue to have Safe and legal abortion. We do not live in a theocracy and this is all decidedly unAmerican and immoral.

People are afraid to attend anything that liberals oppose, since their only course of action is “protest” through violence!

Your photos of the March for Life are deceptive and manipulative. Your photo of the rally (Washington Monument) is when people were first arriving. Your photo of the march itself was of the very end of the line. You are fooling no one.