Happy Armed Forces Day! On May 20 we celebrate all five military branches: Army, Navy, Marine Corps, Air Force, and Coast Guard. See the best quotes about these patriots here.
Armed Forces Day comes after Armed Forces Week. Armed Forces Week begins the second Saturday of May and ends on the third Sunday of May. Armed Forces Day is always the third Saturday in May. Both Armed Forces Day and Armed Forces Week fall during Military Appreciation Month which includes Military Spouse Appreciation Day and Victory in Europe Day (V-E Day), according to Military.com.
Victory in Europe Day is on May 8 and is the date that the Nazis formerly surrendered to the Allies of World War II. Military Spouse Appreciation Day is May 12.
The celebrations come before Memorial Day, which is observed on the last Monday of May. Memorial Day remembers the people who died while serving in the country’s armed forces.
1. “My heroes are those who risk their lives every day to protect our world and make it a better place – police, firefighters and members of our armed forces.” — Sidney Sheldon
2. “Freedom does not come without a price. We may sometimes take for granted the many liberties we enjoy in America, but they have all been earned through the ultimate sacrifice paid by so many of the members of our armed forces.” —
3. “The criteria for serving one’s country should be competence, courage, and willingness to serve. When we deny people the chance to serve because of their sexual orientation, we deprive them of their rights of citizenship, and we deprive our armed forces the service of willing and capable Americans.” — Dianne Feinstein
4. “Our armed forces will fight for peace in Iraq, a peace built on more secure foundations than are found today in the Middle East. Even more important, they will fight for two human conditions of even greater value than peace: liberty and justice.” — John McCain
5. “History has taught us over and over again that freedom is not free. When push comes to shove, the ultimate protectors of freedom and liberty are the brave men and women in our armed forces. Throughout our history, they’ve answered the call in bravery and sacrifice.” — Tim Pawlenty
6. “As to the advantages of temperance in the training of the armed forces and of its benefits to the members of the forces themselves, there can be no doubt in the world.” — William Lyon Mackenzie King
7. “The U.S. Armed Forces are the best trained, best equipped fighting forces in the world.” — Jim Walsh
8. “Our men and women in our armed forces are the real heroes in this conflict.” — Wayne Allard
9. “I have great respect and understanding for military commitment due to my own family’s involvement with the armed forces.” — Carolyn Murphy
10. “Every member of the U.S. Armed Forces knows what they signed up for, and they know what their job is, and they are proud of their job.” — John Cena