Bakari Henderson: 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know

Bakari Henderson: 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know

LinkedInBakari Henderson

A 22-year-old American student was beaten to death by a large group while vacationing in a popular tourist spot in Greece.

Bakari Henderson, who’s originally from Texas, was found battered and unresponsive by authorities on a street on the Greek island of Zakynthos on July 7. Henderson was beaten after an argument inside of a bar escalated onto the street, and at least eight others joined in on the assault. His family told KXAN that he was on vacation for a photo shoot to launch a new clothing line.

Here’s what you need to know:

1. Henderson Reportedly Got Into an Argument With a Security Guard

Bakari Henderson

According to The Washington Post, Henderson was in a sports bar called Bar Code in Laganas when an argument started.

Henderson was at the bar when another customer approached him and a confronted him. Eventually, that turned into a fistfight and the security guard at the bar asked the pair to leave to premises, state news agency ANA-MPA reported.

Once outside of the bar, the fistfight continued and more people — including the bartender and security guard — joined in on the assault. A report by the Daily Mail said that the attackers were “thought to have used brass knuckles to pummel his head” in an attack that lasted around 30 seconds.

Surveillance videos from nearby businesses showed the group of assailants continuing the brutal attack on Henderson even after he was unconscious.

One week after the incident occurred, chilling surveillance tape of Henderson running from a mob of people was released by a nearby business. In the footage, you can see Henderson running own the street as a large group of people begin brutally beat him. Finally, a female breaks up the altercation but not before Henderson is left laying on the ground unresponsive.

Watch the video below:

According to a report from a Greek newspaper, the Greek Security Division said that Henderson was taken to a nearby hospital for his injuries, but it was too late and he was pronounced dead on arrival due to what’s believed to be traumatic head injuries.

2. So Far, 8 People Have Been Arrested in Connection With His Death

Bakari Henderson

The Greek news agency reported that so far, eight people that were believed to have played a role in Henderson’s death have been arrested. Six of them — all of Serbian descent — were arrested at a hotel they were staying at after a police raid.

That includes the 32-year-old security guard of British descent and Serbian origin and also the 34-year-old Greek bartender.

The deadly assault occurred on a busy street on the island of Zakynthos, an area that’s popular with tourists. The beating is thought to have occurred in front of many of those tourists who were out on the town for a night out.

3. Henderson Graduated From the University of Arizona in May

Bakari Henderson

According to his Facebook page, Henderson was originally from Austin, Texas, and had been studying at the University of Arizona. He was majoring in finance and entrepreneurship at Arizona’s business school and graduated in May.

The school released a statement acknowledging Henderson’s tragic death. UA president Robert C. Robbins said that the school is reaching out to students who may have known Henderson to offer support.

“Our hearts and prayers are with his friends and family,” Robbins said in the statement sent to the UA community. “I can only imagine the deep sense of loss they must be feeling at his untimely death. It is always a tragedy when a young life ends before it has really yet to begin.”

Henderson’s family was notified of his tragic death, and released an emotional statement regarding the loss of their son. They said that he once interned for a member of the Texas House of Representatives and State Senate.

As you can imagine, our family is devastated by the recent loss of our beloved son Bakari Jaward Henderson. He attended Anderson High School through his junior year and graduated from Hyde Park Baptist High School in 2013. Bakari attended The Eller College of Management at The University of Arizona on a full academic scholarship and graduated on May 12, 2017 with a BS in Business Finance and Entrepreneurship. The summer after his freshman year at University of Arizona, he interned with the Texas Speaker of the House of Representatives and the Texas State Senate.

Bakari was in Greece working on a photo shoot to launch his new clothing line when the unbelievable tragedy occurred.

Bakari loved spending time with family and friends, traveling, and meeting new people. He was a big thinker and enjoyed coming up with new business ventures. Bakari was an inspiration to all he met. He loved life and lived it to the fullest.

We would like to thank our family, friends and the Austin community for your prayers, love and support.

Phil, Jill, P.J. and Jory

4. Henderson Played Basketball in High School & Was a Lakers Fan

Bakari Henderson and a friend.

According to a report from KVUE ABC News, a former classmate confirmed that Henderson went to Anderson High School in Austin, but eventually graduated from Hyde Park Baptist High School in 2013.

He played high school basketball for Anderson, and his MaxPreps profile says that during his junior season, he played in 34 games for Anderson, averaging 2.7 points per game to go along with 2.6 rebounds. He was listed as being 6-foot-2 at the time.

Henderson posted a video to Facebook in 2011 of a presentation two of his classmates were giving in what looks to be a history class. Watch that video below.

Photos of him on his Facebook profile show him dressed in a Los Angeles Lakers T-shirt, and one of his favorite basketball players, according to social media accounts, was Kobe Bryant.

One of Henderson’s childhood friends, John Gramlich, spoke of the type of person he was to KXAN, saying the two first met in elementary school

“Immediately once I met him I knew he was going to be one of my best friends,” Gramlich said to the news station. “We got along really well, he’s got a really contagious smile, whenever he walks into a room he really fills the room up.

“We played basketball together, we traveled to Europe together, we’ve done practically everything together.”

5. In 2011, a Tourist Was Beaten to Death on the Island by Taxi Drivers

Bakari Henderson and a friend.

While the Greek island seems tourist-friendly, the death of Henderson isn’t the first instance where a tourist was killed by residents.

In 2011, an 18-year-old man named Robert Sebbage (from Hampshire) was stabbed to death by a 22-year-old taxi driver named Stelios Morfis. In addition to Sebbage’s brutal death, four of his friends were injured when they went out at the Laganas resort in July 2011.

Morfis was found guilty of causing deadly bodily injury without intent and was sentenced to 11 years in prison, but Sebbage’s father Andy called it “a disgrace,” BBC reported.

Morfis had denied committing the murder, saying that he simply lashed out with his pocket knife when he was being taunted by the group of friends.

According to BBC, the group was attacked while sitting outside of a McDonald’s on a curb. Another man, named Dimosthenes Mylonas was charged as being an accomplice, but was found not guilty.

The family released an emotional statement paying tribute to their son after the verdict was read.

Nothing will bring Robert back but we strongly believe that the sentence passed does not reflect the horrific and senseless killing of our son.

We take solace from the fact that Stelios Morfis was found guilty of taking our son’s life and attacking four of Robert’s friends.

We are also comforted that Robert’s good character and reputation was acknowledged in court and that the other boys who were attacked were accurately represented as the victims of this violent assault.

Anders Jensen

Now the Greek judicial system is working so we can be sure justice will prevail… (sorry for my ssrcasm)

Anders Jensen

Shocking to note how the Greek police is trying to twist the facts so that the victim is to blame for this assasination. The police declares racism is not involved in the murder. How do they know?

julieta stoyanova

I am American-Bulgarian who just came back from vacation in Zakynthos. The island is very safe and it is unfair to present it as a place for crime. But…knowing Serbians and Balkan mentality, the fact that he was Black and wanted to make a selfie with the Serbian waitress was enough to trigger this event. Serbs, white and poor…are super mad that Blacks from America for having money…so…its not easy to be a Black American tourist on the Balkans. This is a race crime…in my opinion. Very classic one…these kind of fights occur in Serbia and Bulgaria and all over the Balkans all the time, but especially against Black American…Serbs can never forgive US for the bombs…but they would stay away from the white boys usually.

Ironweaver

Julieta…. You had me until “But…knowing Serbians and Balkan mentality” ….

You are have the same mentality that you presumed caused this man’s life to be taken. Please stop the cycle.

Stay

Julieta Stoyanova is absolutely righ, 100 % . I live in Bulgaria and I am from mixed marriage (black and white), so she pointed the problem very well. I could write more and more, but if you dont live on the Balkans you cant understand the mentality. It”s everywhere on the Balkans, but in Serbia is worst

Mick Skippy

Miss Stojanova.

That amount of bull is not found even in largest bull farms.
Sure, there is animosity towards anything american but to say that this is racial attack is plain confirmation bias to a massive scale.
Some evidence has surfaced, bucketloads is yet ot be released and you draw a conclusion based on… well… “they’re from Balkans”… and, imagine, “they’re Serbs” (ouch, is that not a school case of “ethnicism/racism”?).

A tragedy is a tragedy. No different if a cop in US kills a random “suspect”, a brawl in Sofia (Bulgaria) night club that leads to a death or this.

So far this has all the indicators to be a testosterone related brawl that lead to a death but before all the evidence is present we can only speculate (and your assessment goes 10 steps further into a fiction).

Mick Skippy
An Aussie and a Serb by descent,
and someone whom does not hate or project hate on others based on their ethnicity or nationality.

Still Fros stin

Julieta honey stick to doing the laundry and giving blowjobs OK? Thank you Sweetie

John Nowlin

Lazy ass Greek thugs socialists racist. Oh yeah it can’t be racism because they weren’t white Americans from the south.

He was a child of God. Bastards.

Hey naive social justice warrior Americans. Stop traveling to these places. The Greeks use to be great. Stop giving them your money. They’re not now. Screw them America Forever!

isaiah14longbow

Well he is seen in pictures with a white woman. What in hell is she thinking of. Doesn’t she know that God Yahweh condemns race mixing?? If you want to get a disease and have diseased children, then race mix. Maybe this was one of the main reasons he got beat to death. There are many communities in the U.S. that don’t like race mixing, it is just that they don’t talk about it. However, in many countries, such as Greece, they really frown on it. I think that it is very possible that he was flaunting his relationship with a white girl (Something that blacks always do because they want white women) and the Greeks just wouldn’t put up with it. White women, stay a way from blacks. Do not race mix because you will suffer the consequences. Generally you will be killed by the black that you are race mixing with. The white girl that this black was with should be thankful that he got beat to death, it saved her life.

Jay King

You are one of the most ignorant person I have ever witnessed in my life. “Race Mixing” does not cause disease, and the fact that you believe that God condemns “race mixing” but preaches equality goes to show that religion has taught you nothing.

Mario Aragon (@mximus69)

If I get in a fight with one man & one of my friends jumps in. I might hit him. I’m man enough to handle my own business. Chicken shit to do anything more than one on one. Unfortunately these country probably don’t have the death penalty, anyone who hit him while he was trying to fend off 10-15 people is a coward & has nothing to contribute to society. No apologies necessary, leave this world is the only apology needed.

Froh Stin today

Just what we needed….that Dickhead James Mabry to show up and start flapping his gums here. Rolling eyes here. We have enough problems in the world.

Anders Jensen

I see a red door and I want it painted black
No colors anymore, I want them to turn black
I see the girls walk by dressed in their summer clothes
I have to turn my head until my darkness goes

I see a line of cars and they’re all painted black
With flowers and my love, both never to come back
I see people turn their heads and quickly look away
Like a new born baby it just happens every day

I look inside myself and see my heart is black
I see my red door, I must have it painted black
Maybe then I’ll fade away and not have to face the facts
It’s not easy facing up when your whole world is black

No more will my green sea go turn a deeper blue
I could not foresee this thing happening to you
If I look hard enough into the setting sun
My love will laugh with me before the morning comes

I see a red door and I want it painted black
No colors anymore I want them to turn black
I see the girls walk by dressed in their summer clothes
I have to turn my head until my darkness goes

I want to see it painted, painted black
Black as night, black as coal
I want to see the sun blotted out from the sky
I want to see it painted, painted, painted, painted black, yeah

James Mabry (@beancrisp)

Please allow me to introduce myself
I’m a man of wealth and taste
I’ve been around for a long, long year
Stole many a man’s soul and fate

I was ’round when Jesus Christ
Had his moments of doubt and pain
Made damn sure that Pilate
Washed his hands and sealed his fate

Pleased to meet you
Hope you guess my name, oh yeah
But what’s puzzling you
Is the nature of my game

I stuck around St. Petersburg
When I saw it was a time for a change
Killed the Czar and his ministers
Anastasia screamed in vain

I rode a tank
Held a General’s rank
When the Blitzkrieg raged
And the bodies stank

Pleased to meet you
Hope you guess my name, oh yeah
What’s puzzling you
Is the nature of my game, oh yeah

I watched the glee
While your kings and queens
Fought for ten decades
For the Gods they made

I shouted out
“Who killed the Kennedys?”
Well after all
It was you and me

Let me please introduce myself
I’m a man of wealth and taste
And I laid traps for troubadours
Who get killed before they reached Bombay

Pleased to meet you
Hope you guess my name, oh yeah
But what’s puzzling you
Is the nature of my game, oh yeah

Pleased to meet you
Hope you guess my name, oh yeah
But what’s confusing you
Is just the nature of my game, ooh yeah

Just as every cop is a criminal
And all the sinners saints
As heads is tails just call me Lucifer
I’m in need of some restraint

So if you meet me, have some courtesy
Have some sympathy and some taste
Use all your well learned politics
Or I’ll lay your soul to waste, mmm yeah

Pleased to meet you
Hope you guess my name, mmm yeah
But what’s puzzling you
Is the nature of my game, get down
Woo hoo, ah yeah, get on down, oh yeah

Tell me, baby, what’s my name?
Tell me, honey, baby guess my name
Tell me, baby, what’s my name?
I’ll ya one time you’re to blame

What’s my name?
Tell me, baby, what’s my name?
Tell me, sweetie, what’s my name?

Anders Jensen

Painted Black

10 men against 1 person: Courageous…

10 men against 1 person: That is not a brawl – that is liquidation….

All tourists going to Zakhyntos island should paint their face black as a tribute to Bakari Henderson

What!!! Tough guy….you are full of shit! I bet you would feel different if it was your kid!!! Sorry ass!

Charis

This guy was drunk and started annoying propably and taking photos of some Serbian girls they were in Greece with their friends that work as security in the club for the summer. They shouldnt continue hitting him after he fell on the ground. We are very sad in Greece for this young man.

Tough guy or not when your manhood is threatened..you try to confront the ‘sickness’ that you are facing. When that sicknes is multiplied by other ‘cowardly viruses’ that infest society. You have this kinfd of murder.
Although some more timid and spineless might slither away…there is no dishonor in fighting the disease
of hatred /jealousy/ and racism. His life was well served to expose hyenas that attacked him.

Alex37

I’m not sure u read the first out of the five facts in this article you needed to know :
He attacked the security guard! To add a few more facts: He attacked a security dude, with a broken beer bottle, after he insulted and hit a waitress for not wanting to take a picture with him…So the morons who killed him are morons, since they will probably go to jail for being macho and protecting the girl. This poor guy was killed because he was rude and bad mannered, and because he thought he could show off movie skills – breaking a bottle and hitting a bouncer…He should’ve watched smarter movies, and his mom should’ve raised him better….forget racism, it was just pure bad luck and terrible judgement by both sides with tragic consequences….

Z Wally

Tough guy wanting to fight turned out not to be so tough a guy. Takes a bigger man to walk away.

Tony T

You people don’t realize that Caucasians ( no matter what country or origin) are the most savage people around. Think about the acts they did in past times.Lynchings were a public event with kids eating ice cream cones. They would collect the victims fingers and toes as SOUVINIERS. Imagine that. I say this to make one point. Europe is hardcore. If they hard gun carrying rights it would be a bloodbath in most of their countries. The root of the Caucasians race is very very violent and animalistic.Where do u think people of color learned to be aggressive and violent? From their captors. Agree ? Do some research,these guys are heartless and it’s not some “fake ,tough guy,I just listed to rap music” tough. It’s the we are animals and kill when we don’t get what we want. Real deal.

Fraw Sted Your Balls Today

Not sure that is a problem…. If the subject was a minority. Lol

Maria

@ Tony T Total bullshit, these “serbians” are most certainly serbian albanians, they are muslims. They make like all muslims trouble everywhere.

Biy the way, white people are THE MINORITY on earth! Take a look a south africa what is happening with white people overe there, it is horryfying.

caringhandsblog

It helps to read documented history with an open mind. Slavery and torture of and by all races is found in all societies. Some of the worse atrocities occured and are occuring in African nations that had no influence from “caucasions”. I hate ALL races, I love “people”. So bite me Tony T.

Zaq

Nonsense! You must be one of those uneducated black guys.
Take a look at Africa and you will see how African tribes are butchering each other.
You may wanna look into the Rwandan genocide. And thats only the deaths we know about. Most African states dont even register when people get killed.
Africa is probably one of the most savage places on earth, thats why almost no other people besides Blacks and Muslims wanna live there really. And even most Black people would rather live in White peoples societies cause they are better treated there than in their home countries, plus they get food there.
If you really think Black countries are so peaceful, then move to Africa! Moron.
Not to mention drugs, gang activity and violence in Black ghettos all around the world. Just take a look at the prison population and Blacks are overrepresented there and certainly not because they are so peaceful.
African banana republics are the most corrupt places on earth. Its leaders rather put financial help of Western White peoples countries in their own pockets instead of sharing it with the population which starves to death.
Yes, move to Africa, one moron less to deal with and less welfare payments white men have to pay for useless guys like you.
Blacks are the animals and most of them have only sex, money, sports, chicken, drugs and violence on their mind. They didnt really create anything meaningful, ever, besides music maybe. The internet you are using, created by White people, being just one example.
You guys just have a low average IQ and blame the Whites for everything. Without White people, Blacks would still be running through the bush half naked with a spear.
You must be one of those useless highschool dropouts.

For the people

Nonsense dummy you are the ignorant one. White people came from black people we taught you everything from math, science, agriculture, metal casting and how to wipe your but. We rediscoverd you in the caukin islands crawling around like animals and taught you how to walk
All you did was steal kill and oppress people

For the people

Zaq you are really stupid. Africans were the first people on the planet. They mastered astronomy laid the foundation for other studies. They even built the pyramids that you guys find so interesting. Take your dumb ass to the library and study world history instead of the lies your europenishead settlers told you. If you read the bible those are black people you read about. Black people come from kings and queens and greatness, not slavery, which destroyed recent generations. The moores were some of the first people on the planet and taught you every thing you know. They could also be the tribe that made you through genetic engineering that went bad. Just had to tell you that dumbass.

superK

Sebians don’t like Americans very much after Bill Clinton bombed them in the late 90s. Add to that he was probably acting like a pompous typical entitled American. When you go to other countries, you have to tread very lightly, or else this sort of thing can happen.

Still Froh Sting Ya

Why didn’t he just climb up a tree and save himself. Should be natural to him.

ILoveItWhenwhitekidsOD

Cumskins should be anally impaled until prolapse, gagged with Confederate flags and torched until they’re crispy beyond recognition.

Darryl

What a retard. you know he was wasted acting the fool. thats the only way you go to a foreign country and get your bitch ass whooped.

Carl

It’s truly sad that you would even consider posting your comment Darryl let’s see your bitch ass fight 10 high school kids they will probably do the same to your bitch ass

Still Froh Sting Ya

Well Darryl would have his brother Darryl to help him. You know that bleep deserved it. I’m sure he’s stolen someone’s bike at some point lol.