There are lots of reasons both men and women wear wigs. Sometimes it’s just for fun, cosplay or perhaps to test out a new style and look before actually cutting, coloring or doing something dramatically different with your hair. Then, there are more serious reasons. You might be dealing with hair loss due to medication, cancer treatment, or health issues like Alopecia or pattern baldness. There are also lots of people who simply suffer from thinning hair and want to do something about it. While there are some shampoos and topical treatments to address a few of these issues, a wig, hairpiece or toupee can provide an alternative that’s both fun and daring. They can dramatically transform your looks for a party or a lifetime.
Wigs come in almost an unlimited array of colors, styles and price points. You can spend thousands on the most expensive models, but for this post we’re just going to look at wigs for women and men that cost a whole lot less. In fact, nothing is more than $300, with the majority costing far less than that. Because, if you don’t have to break the bank on a single wig, you have options to choose more than one. We’ve looked at natural wigs made with human hair. You’ll also see some wigs that are made with 100 percent virgin hair. That simply means the hair they’re made with has never been processed or colored so it’s soft, silky and shiny. You’ll also see wigs made of remy hair. Remy hair wigs are made from hair that’s been cut from a single donor, often in one ponytail, before being woven and knotted into a wig cap. And naturally, we’ve got lots of synthetic wigs, because they’re the most diverse, affordable and available.
Men’s toupees are another category of wigs unto themselves. Rather than being woven on a head covering cap that is secured by pins or elastic, toupees most often involve glue or double stick tape. And even though they don’t, as a rule, cover a man’s entire head, they’re every bit as expensive as a full head wig. If they’re made from natural hair, they cost even more. The beauty of a toupee is the ability to cut and style it to blend with your hair, often making the look almost indiscernible from having a full head of your own hair.
When it comes to wigs, whether you’re a woman or a man, look at them as a fun addition to your wardrobe. Welcome the opportunity to indulge yourself in a completely different color or cut. Or simply enjoy getting back to looking like a younger version of yourself. Just like great moisturizers, eye creams and neck creams, a wig can be a part of your daily beauty regimen and the key to a beautiful or handsome, more youthful looking you. Check out our Top 15 Best Wigs for Women & Men.
1. Best Human Hair Wigs: Asifen Medium Length Human Hair Wig
This sassy shoulder length wig is airy, breathable and soft. It’s simple, stylish design mixes real human hair with high-quality synthetic fibers to help keep its style well and also prevent the generation of static electricity. The hand tied mono top and stretch net makes the wig more comfortable wear and natural to look at. Cleverly adjustable to most head sizes, this wig offers simple hook adjustments to make it easy to find your customized fit. Because this wig is custom made, Asifen will gladly make a wig styled to your specification so you can create the look, color and feel that’s just right for you.
- Very reasonably priced
- Well made
- Fits comfortably and adjusts to different head sizes
- Comes with thorough styling instructions
- Not made of 100 percent human hair
- Colors can be somewhat different than pictured
- Texture was not what some expected
2. Best Human Hair Wigs: Styler Natural Human Hair Short Wig
This sassy little cutie is made with real human hair mixed with high quality, healthy synthetic memory fiber. The hand-tied and knotted monofilament crown creates a more natural appearance of hair growth where the hair style is parted at the crown. The combination of fibers makes this wig easy to style and it will keep its good looks for long wear. The short cropped style is perfect on every face shape and it comes with an adjustable cap, clips and comb.
- Lightweight and natural looking
- Terrific price
- Chic and modern styling
- Easily adjustable cap
- May be too large for smaller head sizes even with adjustments
- Hair fullness can seem to bulky for some
3. Best Human Hair Wigs: TRENDS® 16 Inch Lace Front Natural Human Hair Wig
This premium lace front wig is sexy and stylish if you’re looking for a longer style. The 16 inch length, falls over the shoulders and down your back in a long, smooth style. It’s neatly hand tied throughout the cap with secure knots. Made from top grade, real human hair, it is of the highest quality, yet it’s at an incredibly affordable price. With the natural lace technology, most people would never guess that you’re wearing a wig because it just looks like natural, flowing hair. You can style this wig freely. Just use your curling irons, hot rollers or a flat iron to achieve your desired style. You can also wash and gently comb this wig with no worries, just as you you would your own hair. The cap offers and adjustable band to customize your fit.
Price: $128.99 (57 percent off MSRP)
- Made from 100 percent human hair
- You can wash and style yourself
- Easy to adjust cap
- Looks natural
- Needs to be styled first
- Cap not suitable for everyone
4. Best Human Hair Wigs: Dreambeauty Natural Human Hair Black Water Wave Lace Wig
Dreambeauty’s 100 percent virgin Brazilian remy hair, full lace wig give you long, gorgeous hair in minutes. It’s both tangle and shed free, and arrives styled in a free loose wave. It can easily be restyled for other textures and looks, from straight to body waves, to jerry curly and even kinky curly. It is double knotted for strength, but all the knots are bleached slightly for a more natural looking appearance. The glueless wig cap works for either lace front and full lace, and comes with four combs and an adjustable strap, so it’s easy and comfortable to wear.
Price: $139.99 (43 percent off MSRP)
- 100 percent virgin remy hair
- Wig hair is super soft and luxurious
- Great price
- Wig can be styled for many different textures and looks
- Cap can run small
- Not as thick as some salon wigs
The perfect little black dress is right at the top of every woman's must-have list. Whether you're petite, pregnant or plus size, we've found some awesome options.Click here to read more
5. Best Synthetic Wigs: Bobbi Boss Lace Front Wig
This super-cute, lace front wig from Bobbi Boss has been delicately crafted with precision by expert hands. Made with the finest synthetic fibers, you can wash and style at will. The lace cap secures with special pins, which come with this wig. The beautiful coppery color especially enhances darker skin tones, and the uber-modern cut can be flipped up, curled under or worn smooth and straight.
- Full but not too thick
- Realistic looking part
- Can be washed and styled
- Not too shiny like some synthetic wigs
- It is synthetic, so not as long lasting as a natural hair wig
- Too thick for some
- Washing may change the look and original style
- Hair tends to tangle
6. Best Synthetic Wigs: Tony of Beverly Synthetic “Harlow” Wig
This adorable wig has all the drama and sexiness of its pin-up girl namesake. The Harlow is a striking short cut wig that is razored smooth to the ends. It can be worn with blunt or fringed bangs, but leaves the nape of the neck exposed. Wear the edges fringed to draw attention to your eyes and cheekbones, or blunt cut them for a more angular, euro-look. Part of the new Ultimate Fit Collection from Tony of Beverly, this wig fits comfortably and will quickly become one of your favorites for great look on the run.
- Sassy styling
- Comfort fit
- Bangs can be blunt or fringed for different looks
- More expensive than some
- Short style is not for everyone
7. Best Synthetic Wigs: Noriko for Rene of Paris Shilo Monofilament Wig
Think Jennifer Aniston, Angelina Jolie or any number of those gorgeous Hollywood beauties who have plenty of hours and the budget to look glamorous every day. This wig delivers that same sort of look with long, soft layers that create great movement. Bolstered by highlights, dark roots and frosted tips, this flirtatious style is an irresistible option if you’re going for a longer, sexy look.
- Long silky hair without tangling
- Looks natural
- Long layers give bounce and body
- Comfortable to wear
- Pretty spendy
- Can’t use heated styling tools
- Not lace front
8. Best Synthetic Wigs: Erika Monofilament Wig – Amore Collection by Rene of Paris
Any woman would look fantastic in this sleek smooth bob from the Amore Collection. Its well executed style is achieved by using razor cuts for sharper, more distinctive edges. This Amore wig has a two-layer monofilament top construction combined with calibrated machine wefting along the sides and back. It has polyurethane tape tabs along the front and adjustable tabs in the back neck area, to allow for an extremely comfortable fit. The result is a natural look that’s both fashionable and easy to wear. This wig includes a premium feature called a “Monofilament top”, which means that it has a soft satin panel in the interior at the top front. All of the fibers on this panel are hand-sewn in a random pattern to create a completely natural look, allowing you to easily change your part. And while it might look completely natural, this wig is constructed with high-quality synthetic fibers, not human hair.
- Excellent quality at a moderate price
- Looks like natural hair
- Monofilament top allows you to easily change your part
- Comfortable fit
- May not fit larger heads
- Can be hot
- Synthetic fibers show wear after time
9. Best Synthetic Wigs: Raquel Welch Voltage Synthetic Wig
This wig serves up short, and kind of spiky little waves to deliver a sassy and stunning look with no fuss. The salon cut can be worn full, smooth or somewhere in between. In the HBO hit series Sex in the City, Samantha looked fabulous in in a wig from the Raquel Welch Signature Collection. Now you can sport those same sexy looks whenever you want. Raquel Welch wigs offer high fashion styling previously available only to top fashion models and Hollywood stars. This wig features the latest in state-of-the-art wig technology, including the patented Memory Cap for a custom like fit and exceptional comfort.
- Celebrity styling at a reasonable price
- Wig can be styled in a variety of ways
- Super comfortable cap
- Available in larger cap sizes
- Monofilament hair could be finer
- Doesn’t feel much like real hair
10. Best Synthetic Wigs: Penelope by Envy Wigs
Penelope by Envy Wigs is a layered short pixie cut that will always be a staple in hair fashion. Open-cap (capless) cap construction makes the Penelope wig lightweight and helps to keep it cool. This textured style gives you a fun and flirty alternative to the traditional boy look. You can mold the hair into a more textured and refined look by applying a synthetic styling product. With 25 colors to choose from, you can find the Penelope wig in every shade from jet black to silver, and at with easy on the wallet pricing, why not choose two or three different colors to play with?
- Cool and comfortable fit
- Many colors to choose from
- Sassy and sporty styling
- Moderately priced
- Looks more like synthetic than natural hair
- Colors may fade in the sun
- Life span may be less than natural hair wigs
11. Best Human Hair Toupee: Lordhair 100% Human Hair French Lace Men’s Toupee
You will look good and feel great in this Lordhair toupee made from 100 percent natural, real human hair. It arrives extra-long so it can be perfectly cut and styled to work with the hair you’ve got. Combined with the extremely natural lace technology, Your part will look completely natural and next to no will realize that you are wearing a toupee. The single knotted front hairline with knots bleached in the front this ensures a natural-looking front hairline. That authentic looks means you can even sweep this hairpiece back and it will still look like your very own hair.
Price: $169.99 (54 percent off MSRP)
- Human hair creates a natural look
- Bleached front knots make for better hairline
- Lace technology means good looking parts
- Longer length gives plenty of styling options
- Quite expensive
- Glue-on system isn’t for everyone
- Requires some special care
12. Best Human Hair Toupee: Dreambeauty Human Hair Afro Curl Toupee
This hairpiece for men features tight Afro curls and natural texture becuase it’s made from high quality human hair. While it’s listed as a hairpiece, its large 9.5 inch by 7.5 inche base size makes it worthy for full head use. Easy to wear, this hair sticks to your scalp with double sided tape. It styles well and because the hair comes on the longer side, you have supreme flexibility to style it to fit your personal look. If you want your hair to be tinged with gray, Dreambeauty can custom make that hairpiece as well. Just expect a longer wait time.
Price: $139.99 (30 percent off MSRP)
- Longer length means flexible styling
- Made from high quality human hair
- Easy to wear
- Large base size may work for full head use
- Pretty expensive
- Only available in black unless custom ordered
- Didn’t suit all users
13. Best Men’s Wigs: STfantasy Handsome Short Curly Men’s Wig
This great curly short wig for men delivers the perfect flirty length and look. Easy to style, it’s made from non-shedding, fire retardant Kanekalon fiber. Because it’s 100 percent breathable, it’s cool and super comfortable to wear. You can also wash this wig with gentle shampoo, so caring for it is a breeze. It is crafted to fit most men and be simply adjusted to size by using the hook inside the wig cap. The color and fiber are especially close to human hair for a natural good look.
Price: $28.68 (51 percent off MSRP)
- Easy to style
- Natural look
- Comes in hard-to-find colors
- Can come kinked, so requires some spray
- Not natural looking enough for some
14. Best Men’s Wigs: Medium Length Dark Brown Men’s Wig
Men can have great hair every day with this medium length wig from GOOACTION. The longer layered style portrays the free spirit in you, while the sexy side-swept design with layered bangs creates an alluring frame around your face, cheekbones and eyes. Super-lightweight, this wig will stay cool and look even cooler at any time of the year.
- Rated 4.5 out of five stars by purchasers
- Popular longer style
- Good for daily wear or cosplay
- Super lightweight
- Not realistic enough
- Part does not look natural
- Some reports of “off” looking color
15. Best Men’s Wigs: Short Straight Golden Blonde Men’s Wig
This super lightweight, breathable blonde men’s wig would be perfect to throw on after a day at the beach. With a bit of the surfer boy look, this wig is casual and give that slightly tousled look. Made from 100 percent Kanekalon flame retardent fiber, any guy will look smokin’ hot sporting this great hair. It is easily washable and simple to style as well.
- Great for cosplay
- Quite inexpensive
- Washable and easy to style
- Make sure to color match as it doesn’t cover hair on your neck
- Small and not suitable over longer hair
- Color runs more yellow than blonde
- Not the highest quality