More and more new golfers are hitting the course every day. And as you might be finding out, golf isn’t an easy — or inexpensive — sport.
So if you are a beginner to the game and want to find a set of clubs to help you improve your game without breaking the bank, you might want to consider purchasing a complete set rather than buying your equipment separately. Complete sets usually come with a driver, wood, hybrid, irons, pitching wedge and putter. And most of the time a bag to hold the clubs in. Considering you can usually find these full sets for under $300, that’s not a bad deal at all. These club sets are designed for the beginner — larger sweet spots on the driver and woods, high moment of inertia (MOI) on all clubs, easy-to-hit irons with oversized club faces. All things novice golfers need to improve their game.
Browse a wider selection of complete golf clubs sets for beginners if this list doesn’t have what you’re looking for. And here you can read our post on best golf irons for game improvement and forgiveness and our review of the best Callaway irons for beginners and high handicappers if you want to an even larger pool of clubs to choose from. But keep reading below to check out the most popular full sets on the market right now.
Note: The following list is in no particular order
1. Callaway Men’s Strata Complete Golf Club Set with Bag
This Strata Men’s Complete Set comes with 12 pieces — 9 clubs, 2 headcovers and 1 stand bag. The clubs included are a 460cc driver (with cover) with an enlarged sweet spot for extra forgiveness and distance; a 3-Wood; a 5-Hybrid, a 6-Iron through pitching wedge, and a mallet-style putter. And that price, it’s an incredible bargain for the beginning golfer who just getting his feet wet on the course. The lightweight stand bag comes complete with 5 pockets and a comfortable dual strap. You can’t go wrong with the Callaway brand, especially at this price.
Price: Right-handed set for $219.99 (20 percent off MSRP)
Left-handed set for $189.00 (31 percent off MSRP)
- Set includes an oversized driver, hybrid club and putter
- Rain hood on the stand bag
- Separate insulated pocket for a water bottle
- The Callaway brand
- Also available in 16- and 18-piece sets
- 12-piece set does not include a sand wedge
- 12-piece set does not include a 4-hybrid
- Some users have had club heads break off of shaft
2. Aspire X1 Men’s Complete Golf Set
The Aspire X1 Complete Set has everything the beginning needs — a 460cc Titanium driver (10.5 degrees), Fairway Wood, 24 degree Hybrid club, 6-iron through pitching wedge, putter, stand bag, and 3 head covers. The stand bag comes with a dual strap for easy carrying and transport. Aspire X1s are also perfect for the budget-minded player at under $200 for the complete set.
Price: $189.99 plus $18.35 shipping
- Full set of clubs
- Titanium driver and a hybrid club
- Graphite shaft on woods and True Temper steel shafts on irons
- Lightweight stand bag with comfortable dual strap
- Two sizes available — one for players 6-feet and under & one for 6-feet-1 and up
- This particular set is for right-handed players only
- Not available from Amazon Prime
3. Tour Edge Reaction 3 Complete Set With Bag
Highlighted by a lifetime warranty, the Tour Edge Reaction 3 set includes 15 total pieces — a driver, 3-wood, 4-hybrid, putter, 5 iron through pitching wedge, a stand bag and four head covers (driver, wood, hybrid and putter). The 460cc titanium matrix driver has a high moment of inertia (MOI), which offers greater forgiveness for longer and more consistent shots off the tee. The forgiveness doesn’t stop with the driver. All the clubs are designed help you cut down on those rookie mistakes, including the stainless steel irons, which feature an undercut cavity for ultimate forgiveness and large sweet spots.
Price: $260.87 (13 percent off MSRP)
- Large sweet spot on the driver for extra forgiveness
- Easy-to-hit 4-hybrid
- Lifetime warranty
- High moment of inertia on mallet-style putter
- Some users thought the clubs were too short
- Pricier than other sets on this list
4. Wilson Golf Men’s 2017 Ultra Complete Package Set
Wilson’s 2017 Ultra Complete Set is highlighted by improved technology which focuses on getting more distance for beginners. The 460cc Titanium driver uses a low center of gravity and a huge sweet spot to maximize forgiveness and distance off the tee. And the steel shaft irons feature perimeter weighting, which helps to keep your ball in the fairway even on missed hits. The set includes a driver, fairway wood, a hybrid, irons 6-9, pitching wedge, heel/toe putter, stand bag, and head covers for the driver, wood, and hybrid. Wilson has been a leader in complete golf club sets for years.
- Ergonomic bag with self-self activating stand
- Alignment putter with soft grip
- Sleek club design
- Clubs might be too short for taller players
5. Pinemeadow PRE Men’s 16-Piece Complete Golf Set
The Pinemeadow PRE Men’s Set comes complete with 16 total pieces at a bargain price. The set includes: a 10.5 degree titanium driver, a 15 degree 3 wood, a 21 degree 3 Hybrid, 4 through pitching wedge stainless steel irons, a pre-mallet putter, a dual strap stand bag, and head covers for the driver, wood, and hybrid. The driver features a controlled launch graphite shaft and an oversized sweet spot, must-haves for beginners to maximize forgiveness and distance, even on off-center hits. The wood, hybrid and irons all have oversized club faces making them easy to hit with good launch, which will help keep you in the fairway and out of the hazards. Great value for a lot of quality equipment.
- Price (plus free shipping)
- Includes a 4-iron
- 16 total pieces, including rain hood for stand bag
- No sand wedge
- Some users had club durability issues
6. Prosimmon Golf X9 V2 Golf Club Set & Bag
Prosimmon says it themselves: the X9 V2s are not for the advanced player, but for the beginner or average golfer who can’t hit every shot cleanly. The set comes with an oversized 460cc driver with an extra large sweet spot, a 15 degree fairway wood, two easy-to-hit hybrids (21 and 24 degrees), cavity back 5-iron through pitch wedge, and a 35-inch putter. All of those clubs are designed to be extra forgiving for that player who is just getting started. You’re bound to have off-center hits, but Prosimmon’s large club heads and massive sweet spots will help keep those in the fairway. Also included are headcovers for the driver, wood, and hybrids, a light weight 7-way top stand bag for easy carrying, and a rain hood to keep your clubs dry.
- Includes 3- and 4-hybrids with headcovers
- Designed for beginners with extra forgiveness on all clubs
- No sand wedge
- Clubs available only for right-handed players
7. Cobra Max Men’s Complete Golf Set
Cobra is one of the top names in golf, so that means you’re going to pay more money for their quality and brand. The Cobra Max Men’s Complete Set is highlighted by the oversized Cobra Max Driver, which would cost you roughly $200 if you were to buy it separately. But it comes included with this set along with Max 3- and 5-woods, Max 4-, 5-, and 6-hybrids, Max 7-iron through sand wedge, and a putter. All the clubs are extremely forgiving on miss-hits and have a low center of gravity, which will help you get that much-desired launch. Also included is a lightweight bag and headcovers for the driver, woods, and hybrids.
- Includes a Cobra Max driver
- Includes a sand wedge
- Comes with three hybrids — 4, 5, and 6
- Best for beginners and intermediate players
- The irons come with graphite shafts, not steel; some golfers prefer steel
- On the pricey side
8. Precise M5 Men’s Complete Golf Clubs Package Set
The Precise M5s Golf Set is full of easy-to-hit clubs, including a 460cc titanium driver, a 15 degree fairway wood, a 21 degree hybrid, and a 5-iron through pitching wedge, which feature True Temper stainless steel shafts. Thanks to the oversized club heads and offset will help reduce the chances of those off-center hits from taking off into the woods. They’re designed to be forgiving for the beginning or intermediate golfer. The Precise M5s are certainly a good starter set and complete with headcovers for the driver, wood, and hybrid, and a light, dual-strap bag that’s easy to carry around the course.
Price: $249.99 (38 percent off MSRP)
- Extra tall (1 inch longer) available in right-handed clubs
- True Temper steel shafts on irons
- Comes with an easy-to-carry dual strap stand bag
- Oversized club heads are user-friendly
- Doesn’t include a sand wedge
- Includes only 1 hybrid club
9. Wilson 2017 Men’s Profile XD Golf Complete Set
Wilson’s second entry to this list is also a set new for 2017 — the Profile XDs. The set comes with all the clubs and add-ons a new golfer needs to get started. And with Wilson, you know you’ll be getting quality clubs. The set features the following clubs: a forged Titanium composite 460cc driver, 5-wood, 5-hybrid, stainless steel irons, pitching and sand wedges, and a heel/toe weighting putter. The driver is very forgiving with power weighting technology and the irons feature perimeter weighting for more forgiveness. You’ll also receive a cart bag with double-padded shoulder straps and headcovers for the driver, wood, and hybrid.
- Comes with 10 clubs, including a sand wedge
- Irons have perimeter for larger sweet spot
- Ideal for beginners
- Standard and Long sizes available
- Some users felt the headcovers were too small and poorly made
10. Palm Springs Golf Visa Men’s +1 Inch Tall Club Set & Stand Bag
The Palm Springs Visa Golf Club Set has a specific player in mind: tall, new to the game, and on a budget. The club shafts are an inch longer than standard, which is great for those over 6-feet-2. So if you are bigger than the average guy and a beginning golfer, these could be what you need. Featuring a 460cc driver, a 15 degree fairway wood, and 18 and 21 degree hybrids, your longer clubs are all designed to offer large, easy-to-hit sweet spots for extra forgiveness. The 6 steel-shafted irons — 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, and pitching wedge — have a cavity back design so you’ll get a higher moment of inertia and lower center of gravity. That will lead to easier launch and more consistent and controlled shots. Also included are a light stand bag and headcovers for the driver, woods, and hybrids. And all for $180. That’s tough to beat.
- Shafts are 1 inch longer; designed for taller players
- Two hybrids — 18 and 21 degree
- Cavity back designed irons for more forgiveness
- Not suited for the more experienced player
- Some users felt the clubs were made of the highest quality