The journey into motherhood affects every part of a woman’s life, from the mental and emotional realms down to the most basic material needs, and her wardrobe is no exception. Maternity clothes used to be unflattering at best, resembling moomoos more than stylish dresses and often featuring cheesy accessories like giant, cutesy bows. Vintage maternity wear had women looking more like paper dolls than pregnant goddesses! Thankfully, these days we are not obligated to wear paper bags for the nine months and beyond of our pregnancy and post-partum. Modern maternity clothes are stylish, fun and comfortable, and they actually show off your adorable baby bump instead of trying to hide it.
After your baby is born, your wardrobe requirements shift yet again. You need easy access for nursing, or you will end up stretching out necklines or accidentally revealing more than you intend to while nursing. Maternity clothes today solve this problem by combining maternity and nursing dresses into one design, so that you do not have to get an entirely new wardrobe once baby arrives! Maternity and nursing dresses are stretchy, soft and comfortable, and come in designs that are flattering on changing body shapes and sizes. They either have stretchy necklines that won’t become misshapen, or they have hidden access points that let you easily and discreetly nurse your baby or use a breastpump.
In this list I have included my favorite styles of maternity and nursing dresses for 2017. Most designs work for both pregnancy and nursing, and there are styles to match every budget. I have included dresses that will be perfect for casual everyday wear as well as fancy occasions and office appropriate designs as well. Some dresses even fit all three! Whatever your style and budget, this list is sure to have a dress you will love. If you want to browse more options, I have linked each brand in the descriptions below. You can also click here to browse all maternity and nursing dresses on Amazon.
1. Best Sleeveless Dress: Happy Mama Maternity And Nursing Sleeveless Skater Dress
This dress from Happy Mama Boutique is a perfect first choice for maternity and nursing dresses. As a pregnant woman and new mom, you are looking for comfort and convenience first, but style is also important. This dress has it all. The sleeveless, layered style looks great on all body types and the Viscose/Elastene blend fabric stretches to fit your changing shape without becoming overworn or tired looking. This dress comes in 12 colors, from bight reds, blues and greens to more neutral blacks, browns, pinks and more. This cute dress is casual and comfy enough to wear every day, but also nice enough to wear for special occasions as well. The concealed cut-out on the bodice makes nursing easy and discreet after baby arrives.
Price: $24.43 to $31.79 depending on size and color
Watch a review of this dress here.
- Comes in many different colors
- Hidden cut-out so this does not look like a typical nursing dress
- Stretchy fabric is very forgiving on changing body shapes
- On the shorter side, may be too short for some women’s comfort
- Nursing opening design may gape open for women with large or engorged breasts
- Synthetic fabric does not breathe as well as natural fabrics
2. Best Floral Dress: LaClef Women’s Floral Print Maxi Maternity Dress
If you love the current trend of maxi dresses with bold, beautiful floral prints, then this dress from LaClef is for you. The floral design is reminiscent of those cute, flowy dresses from the 90’s, but the fabric and design is thoroughly modern. This dress is constructed of a soft, 5% spandex jersey fabric with enough stretch to be comfortable around your growing belly. It comes in seven different floral designs. The faux wrap design makes this dress easy to adjust, so it still fits perfectly after your baby is born. The dress also features a stretchy V-neck that makes breastfeeding easily accessible and super convenient, whether you have your baby in a carrier or are holding them in your arms. Customer reviews rave about this comfy and flattering dress!
Price: $29.99 to $49.99 depending on color and size
- Stylish floral design
- Stretchy and comfy jersey fabric
- Easy access neckline for nursing
- Some reviewers noted that the fabric is on the thin side
- Is not a true wrap dress, so it does not adjust quite as much as a wrap
- Neckline may stretch out over time and repeated use
3. Best Dress With Pockets: Zeta Ville Maternity A-Line Dress
I don’t know about you, but I love dresses with pockets! They may not be the most practical thing in the world, especially when you will be ca, but they sure are cute. This short and stylish dress from Zeta Ville features a high neckline and easy access nursing panels so that you do not have to sacrifice modesty for convenience while breastfeeding. It is great for maternity as well, with a stretchy jersey fabric and empire waist line. The A-line cut of this dress looks great on all different shapes and sizes. This dress comes in 10 different vibrant colors, so you can get one for any occasion.
Price: $23.88 to $30.69 depending on size and color
- Can be worn casually or to a special occasion like a wedding
- Modest neckline
- Ruched waist is flattering on changing body shapes
- Reviewers noted that the fabric puckers if it gets wet
- Material is completely synthetic, not breathable
- High neckline is not quite as convenient as other designs
4. Best Chilly Weather Dress: Mother Bee Cowl Neck And Over The Shoulder Ruched Maternity and Nursing Dress
This gorgeous dress from Mother Bee looks more like a formal gown than a casual dress, but it is designed to be so comfortable that you can wear it every day. If you live in a colder climate, or you prefer a more modest look, you may be looking for nursing/maternity dresses that have full coverage rather than a lot of exposed skin. This long sleeved maxi dress is designed to be worn either as a cowl neck or off the shoulder, and the stretchy neckline makes it ideal for nursing as well. It is constructed of a Rayon/Spandex blend fabric, so it feels super soft against your skin. You can select from eight different colors ranging from rich jewel tones to lovely neutrals.
- Can be worn as a cowl neck or off the shoulder
- Super soft and stretchy material
- Very inexpensive
- Fabric is not a breathable material
- Some reviewers found it too tight to wear off shoulder
- Not designed as a nursing dress, may be a bit awkward trying to nurse when wearing it off the shoulder
Find more Mother Bee Cowl Neck And Over The Shoulder Ruched Maternity and Nursing Dress information and reviews here.
5. Best Striped Dress: Undercover Mama Nursing Maxi Dress for Breastfeeding
Striped dresses are so lovely on pregnant and nursing moms! You might not think at first that horizontal stripes are the best pattern for rapidly changing body shapes and sizes, but they look great when paired with a light color stripe and a modern silhouette like in this dress from Undercover Mama. This dress is soft, stretchy and snug in all the right places. It provides full coverage and has an easy access panel for quick and easy breastfeeding. This dress comes with two attachments that can be hooked to either a nursing bra or regular bra. One cool feature of this dress is that the fabric does not roll or fray, so you can easily shorten it yourself if needed with just scissors. This dress is made of a Rayon/Spandex blend so it is easy to wash and won’t get wrinkled. The fabric also does not fray, so if the dress is too long you can hem it by simply cutting the bottom edge.
- Full coverage design
- Straps hook into your nursing bra or regular bra
- Fabric is soft and very forgiving
- Not a breathable fabric
- Does not work for maternity
- Does not come in any other colors
6. Best Maxi Dress: Seraphine Jo Knot Front Maternity And Nursing Maxi Dress
When I was pregnant, I loved wearing maxi dresses more than anything else. They are the easiest, most comfortable and effortless outfit and they can easily be taken from day to night with a few accessories. Maxi dresses ae also perfect for new moms because they make you feel beautiful as well as covered up in all the right places! Here is a lovely maxi from Seraphine that looks gorgeous on both pregnant and nursing moms. This dress has a unique knotted and gathered neck and waistline that is flattering to any body shape, and provides easy access to nursing without showing too much skin. It comes in three colors and is elegant enough to wear to special events, while the Viscose/Elastene blend fabric is comfy enough that you will want to wear it around the house as well. This fabric is extra easy to care for as well, and does not wrinkle easily.
Watch a Seraphine Maternity brand video here.
- Unique knotted design is beautiful and flattering
- Easy to clean and care for
- Can be won for everyday or special occasions
- Only comes in three color choices
- More expensive than others on this list
- Fabric is not breathable like natural materials
7. Best Sleeveless Dress: Beachcoco Women’s Maternity Comfortable Maxi Tube Dress
Beachcoco is definitely on to something with this maternity tube dress. Strapless dresses are perfect for pregnant and nursing moms. They have a natural empire waist to show off your belly, as well as ruching to conceal and flatter your changing shape after baby is born. This dress is made of a 95% rayon jersey knit, so the fabric is super soft and forgiving. It comes in 24 colors, so you can get one in all of your favorite colors and to match every outfit. The beauty of a tube dress for nursing is the simplicity of it, you can just simply pull the top of the dress down to nurse without having to worry about stretching out the neckline or unhooking complicated clasps or snaps.
Price: $16.95 to $27.95 depending on color and size
- Comes in a ton of different colors
- Easy to wear and easy to clean
- Super easy nursing access
- May not be comfortable to wear without a bra or with a strapless bra while nursing
- Synthetic material is not breathable
- Some reviewers found it tight in the chest area
8. Best Office Appropriate Dress: Motherhood Maternity Asymmetrical Lift Up Nursing Dress
Motherhood Maternity is one of the most well loved brands for maternity and breastfeeding clothing. This tiered nursing dress is a great example of their clever designs that can be worn while pregnant and nursing. This dress has a layered design that looks like a shit worn loosely over a skirt, but the skirt actually goes up past the chest so that when you pull the top layer up for nursing access, you still have full belly and chest coverage. This is a more conservative dress that would be great for work or everyday wear. The material is polyester, rayon and spandex blend.
- Super easy access for nursing or pumping
- Modest yet modern silhouette
- Unique and stylish design
- Only comes in one color
- On the more expensive side
- No customer reviews
9. Best Tank Dress: Ripe Maternity Love Your Body Nursing Dress
This maternity and nursing dress from Ripe is called the Love Your Body dress for a reason. It is extremely flattering on all shapes and sizes, from pre- to post-partum and everything in between. The dress is made of a Viscose/Elastene blend that stretches in all the right places and feels extra soft on your skin. The design is casual, so this could be your everyday staple dress or it could also be your LBD for a night out. The dress also features easy and discreet nursing access in the form of a panel that you lift up when it is time to nurse. This easy one handed design makes it so simple to breastfeed whether your baby is in your arms or in a carrier.
- Easy and discreet nursing access, does not look like a nursing dress
- Comfy and flattering for all stages of pregnancy and post partum
- Easy to wear and easy to wash
- On the more expensive side
- No customer reviews
- Made of a synthetic material/li>
10. Best Lace Dress: Sweet Mommy Maternity and Nursing Layered Lace A-Line Dress
This vintage styled lace dress from Sweet Mommy is so adorable, you would never think it is meant for maternity and nursing. It looks like something that Kate Middleton would have worn while pregnant, and is sure to turn heads wherever you wear it. This dress is made of mostly natural fabric, with a 65% cotton lace and a 100% cotton liner. There ae tiny hidden zippers on both sides of the dress for nursing access, and when you are pregnant it looks great as well, with more of a vintage style than most modern maternity dresses. This dress comes in three mild shades, including ivory, mocha and mint, and it would be perfect for wearing to work, every day, or special occasions.
- Very stylish vintage design
- Appropriate for any situation, from work to fancy to everyday wear
- Discreet and hidden nursing access
- Does not fit like modern maternity wear, may not be comfortable for some women
- No customer reviews
- Nursing access is not as easy as some other designs