If you’re newly pregnant, congrats! Now go out and buy yourself a pregnancy body pillow. I’m not joking—you definitely want one of these oh-so-comfy back-saving, insomnia-zapping devices. I tried to cheap out in my first pregnancy and didn’t buy one, and I highly regretted it, especially by the late third trimester. Lying down to sleep became so uncomfortable that I tossed and turned most nights, never truly finding a way to sleep that felt good. This time, I snagged a Snoogle during my first trimester and started sleeping with it right away. It’s great for helping me find a relaxing position at night, and I also love to use it when lying down to watch TV or read before bed; if positioned correctly, it can keep my head and shoulders propped up enough that I can lie on my back, my favorite position. When night falls, I snuggle up sideways in the C-shaped pillow and enjoy a restful night of ZZZs (with a middle-of-the-night potty break or two, of course).
In addition to reducing back and hip pain while lying down, pregnancy pillows are also thought to ease pregnancy side effects such as acid reflux and heartburn. Yes! Sweet relief.
Types of Pregnancy Pillows
Wedge-shaped pillows prop up your shoulders or torso in order to give you targeted support in those areas. They are generally less expensive than full-body pillows, but also more limited in how you can use them. (I won’t be covering them in this article, as it is going to focus on full-body pillows.)
C-SHAPED or J-SHAPED
These pillows look like a “C” or a “J” and provide support to your entire body. You place your head at one end and wrap your legs around the other end, with the body of the pillow supporting your back behind you.
A U-shaped pillow looks like an upside-down “U” and is used similarly to a C-shaped/J-shaped pillow—you rest your head at the curve of the “U” and hug one side, while the other side supports your back. It is the most supportive of the pregnancy body pillows but also takes up the most room in your bed and is usually the most expensive.
While you’re thinking about it, make sure you are stocked up on pregnancy-safe skin care products. And be sure to check out our top 10 best black maternity dresses for some fabulous style and comfort as your body begins to change.
Below I’ve reviewed the top 10 best pregnancy body pillows, including C-shaped/J-shaped and U-shaped pillows. As always, they’re available with a variety of features and at a wide range of price points.
1. Best Budget C-/J-Shaped Pregnancy Body Pillow: Blowout Bedding Premium Contoured Body Pregnancy Pillow with Zippered Cover
The Blowout Bedding J-shaped pregnancy body pillow is an affordable full-body pillow plus zippered pillowcase that you can purchase for $39.99. This product comes with a money back guarantee, which is a nice feature in case you decide to try out multiple pillows and don’t end up keeping this one. This product is designed to support your back and belly to help prevent sciatica, heartburn, carpal tunnel and nasal congestion during pregnancy. What’s interesting is many consumers who reviewed this product are not actually pregnant but ended up loving this pillow for the support it provides anyway.
Some consumers say that the head rest is too firm—if you are used to a softer, squishier pillow for your head, this may be too firm for you. Some pregnant women may prefer the more full-body U-shaped body pillows that are also popular. Although this body pillow comes with a zippered pillowcase, some consumers report that it is difficult to remove and put back on for washing. This product is made from polyester, which according to some consumers does not breathe well.
- Includes pillow and zippered protector
- Comes with money back guarantee
- Supports back and belly to help prevent sciatica, heartburn, carpal tunnel and nasal congestion
- Not the full-support shape of the U
- Case is difficult to take off and put back on
- Pillow is too firm for some consumers
- Made from polyester
Find more Blowout Bedding Premium Contoured Body Pregnancy Pillow with Zippered Cover information and reviews here.
2. Best Budget U-Shaped Pregnancy Body Pillow: Lavish Home Full Body Maternity Pillow with Contoured U-Shape
The Lavish Home Full Body Maternity Pillow is a full-support U-shaped pregnancy pillow at a great price, just $38. It also comes with a zippered pillow cover that you can remove for washing. The cover is made out of 100% cotton and is hypoallergenic; some consumers complain the cover is a little scratchy. This product is designed to support the entire body, and should help to relieve the pain and discomfort associated with pregnancy, sciatica, fibromyalgia, gastric reflux, lower back pain, ankle pain and more. This pillow is quite versatile—despite using it for sleeping, it can also be used to sit upright while watching TV or reading, or it can even be used for cradling your newborn baby.
This pillow is quite large and will take up a lot of room in your bed, so make sure your bed is large enough, especially if you share it with someone. Some consumers complain that the pillow is flat or not uniformly stuffed. Finally, some consumers complain that the pillow cover is a little scratchy.
Price: $39.99 (60 percent off MSRP)
- Full-support U shape helps to relieve pain and discomfort associated with pregnancy, sciatica, fibromyalgia, gastric reflux, lower back pain, ankle pain and more
- Comes with zippered outer cover, which made from 100% cotton and is hypoallergenic
- Adjustable pillow can provide support for sleep, watching TV/reading or even cradling your newborn baby
- Pillow is fairly flat
- Takes up a lot of room in bed
- Some consumers complain that cover is scratchy
- Some consumers complain that pillow is not uniformly stuffed
Find more Lavish Home Full Body Maternity Pillow with Contoured U-Shape information and reviews here.
3. Best 100% Cotton Pregnancy Body Pillow: PharMeDoc Full Body Pregnancy Pillow
The PharMeDoc Full Body Pregnancy Pillow is another C-shaped pillow. This version is made from 100% cotton and includes a zippered removable pillow cover that is machine washable and hypoallergenic. The cover contains no phthalates, latex, lead or BPAs. The C-shaped pillow is designed to support the back, knees, hips, neck and head, preventing and relieving pains associated with pregnancy. It also great to keep you sleeping on your side instead of your back during the last half of your pregnancy.
Although this is a pretty full C shape, it doesn’t go all the way around the body like a U-shaped pillow. Some consumers have complained that the pillow is on the firm side and that the stuffing isn’t as full in some places, usually the ends of the pillow. However, this pillow is made from foam and is supposed to be malleable so that you can shape it to your own liking. Other consumers have complained of stitches in the pillow ripping after a few months of use. This product comes with a lifetime warranty and a 100% satisfaction guarantee.
Price: $42.46 (65 percent off MSRP)
- Made from 100% cotton
- Includes a zippered removable pillow cover that is machine washable and hypoallergenic; it contains zero phthalates/latex/lead and is BPA-free
- Lifetime warranty: 100% satisfaction guaranteed
- C-shaped pillow supports back, knees, hips, neck and head
- Not the full U shape
- Some consumers complain that stitches tend to rip
- Too firm for some people’s taste
- Some consumers complain stuffing is uneven or not stuffed full enough in some places
4. Prettiest Pregnancy Body Pillow: Naomi Home Cozy Body Pillow
The Naomi Home Cozy Body Pillow is a full-support U-shaped pregnancy body pillow that provides tons of support during pregnancy. It comes with a slipcover that is removable and washable in a pretty dark purple color that should easily hide dirt and stains. It has a gusseted neck and shoulder area for the perfect amount of upper-body support; however, some consumers complain that the head/neck support area is too high and stiff and makes them uncomfortable after a night’s sleep. If you prefer firm head/neck support, then this pillow may be perfect for you; if you like something softer/squishier, it may not be right. The cool thing about this pillow is that it can also be used as a nursing pillow to keep baby supported and elevated while mom’s back is cushioned.
Some consumers have noted the pillow starts to lose its shape and flatten over time. It’s also a very large pillow that takes up most of the space in a bed—some consumers recommend it for use in a king size bed only, if you’re sharing the bed with someone else. Finally, there are some complaints that the pillow cover is not soft and the zipper tends to get stuck.
Price: $57.64 (26 percent off MSRP)
- Full U-shape for tons of support during pregnancy
- Pretty purple color—dark so it should hide stains
- Gusseted neck and shoulder area for perfect upper body support
- Can also be used as nursing pillow to keep baby supported and elevated while mom’s back stays cushioned
- Very large pillow—takes up a lot of room in bed
- Tends to get flat over time, especially in head area
- Cover isn’t very soft and zipper tends to get stuck
- Some consumers complain that head/neck area is too high and stiff, causing neck pain
5. Most Versatile Pregnancy Body Pillow: Today’s Mom Cozy Comfort Pregnancy Pillow
The Today’s Mom Cozy Comfort Pregnancy Pillow is a U-shaped full-support body pillow that can also be used as a nursing pillow once baby is born—it keeps baby supported while mom’s back is cushioned comfortably. This body pillow is U-shaped, meaning that if you have to turn over in the night, you don’t have to move the pillow with you. The Today’s Mom body pillow is designed to caress the natural curves of the body and give it full support on all sides. This pillow is a medium firmness that is distributed evenly throughout the pillow. It includes a removable, washable cover for hygiene.
At $80, this pillow is slightly more expensive than other comparable U-shaped pillows on the market. Because it is U-shaped, it will take up a lot of space in your bed. Some consumers complain that the material doesn’t breathe well and makes them hot at night. Others have complained that the pillow isn’t quite long enough for ultimate comfort, especially in the leg area.
- Can also be used as a nursing pillow to keep baby supported and mom’s back cushioned
- Designed to caress the natural curves of the body and give it full support on all sides
- Includes a removable, washable cover
- Medium firmness is great for a variety of consumers
- More expensive than comparable U-shaped pillows
- Some consumers complain the pillow tends to make them hot at night
- Some consumers complain pillow is not long enough
- Takes up a lot of space in bed
6. Fluffiest Pregnancy Body Pillow: Meiz U-Shaped Body Pregnancy Maternity Pillow with Zippered Removable Cover
The Meiz U-Shaped Body Pregnancy Maternity Pillow with Zippered Removable Cover is an affordable U-shaped, full-support body pillow designed to support the head, back, belly, sides, knees, hips and feet of pregnant women. It comes with a zippered removable cover in a cute pink and blue color scheme. This pillow can help to relieve sciatica, leg swelling, back pain, etc. The Meiz pregnancy pillow boasts a bionic-polyethylene filling that is high density and extra soft, which creates a fluffy, supportive pillow with better performance that should last for a long time. In addition to sleeping, this pillow can be used for reading, nursing and watching TV. This product comes with a 30-day satisfaction guarantee.
Some consumers note that the cover can shrink after washing, making it difficult to put back on the pillow. Like most U-shaped pillows, it takes up a lot of room in bed. Some consumers note that the pillow is too short to provide the leg support they want and that the pillow is not as fluffy as it appears in the photos.
Price: $52.90 (84 percent off MSRP)
- Made with bionic-polyethylene filling that is high density and extra soft for better performance and longer use
- Can be used to support pregnant belly for sleeping, reading, nursing, watching TV
- Supports head, back, belly, sides, knees, hips and feet to relieve sciatica, leg swelling, back pain, etc.
- 30-day satisfaction guarantee
- Cover can shrink in wash and be difficult to get back on
- Takes up a lot of room in bed
- Too short for some consumers
- Some consumers note pillow is not as fluffy as it appears in photos
Find more Meiz U-Shaped Body Pregnancy Maternity Pillow with Zippered Removable Cover information and reviews here.
7. Most Luxurious Pregnancy Body Pillow: Oggi Elevation Wedge Based Pregnancy Maternity Body Positioning Pillow
The Oggi Elevation Wedge Based Pregnancy Maternity Body Positioning Pillow is a patent pending design that uses “slumber science technology” to help you get a better night’s sleep. It has a Shoulder Comfort System designed to give you the extra support you need in your upper body. This U-shaped pillow provides full support for the entire body, and if you change positions in the night you do not have to adjust the pillow, as you can just rotate and place the other side of the pillow in between your legs. The Oggi pillow can be used postpartum to assist in finding a comfortable nursing position for mom and baby. This pregnancy body pillow includes a washable soft suede-like pillow cover.
This pillow is on the more expensive end of the spectrum. Its large U shape does take up a lot of space in bed. Some consumers have complained that the head elevation is too high and that the arms of the pillow do not have enough stuffing.
Price: $178.94 (11 percent off MSRP)
- Shoulder Comfort System for extra support in the upper body
- Full-support U-shaped pillow
- Great for comfort of mom and baby while nursing
- Includes washable soft suede-like cover
- Takes up a lot of room in bed
- Some consumers have complained that the arms do not have enough stuffing
- Some consumers have complained that the head/neck support is too high
Find more Oggi Elevation Wedge Based Pregnancy Maternity Body Positioning Pillow information and reviews here.
8. Most Compact Pregnancy Body Pillow: Leachco Snoogle Total Body Pillow (C-Shaped)
The Leachco Snoogle C-Shaped Total Body Pillow is the pregnancy body pillow I ended up with, and I am a fan. I especially like its streamlined style—it doesn’t take up that much room in the bed, and I can easily stash it in my closet during the day when it’s not in use. The patented design of the Leachco Snoogle was developed by a registered nurse and mom. This body pillow includes a sham-style removable and washable pillow cover—however, because it doesn’t have a zipper, many consumers recommend purchasing a different cover, such as the Snoogle Chic Jersey Cover, made with soft jersey knit cotton and polyester blend. This pillow gives your body extra support during pregnancy without causing it to overheat like some pillows can.
While the C-shape really works for some people, other consumers will prefer the more full-support coverage of a U-shaped pillow. Some consumers have complained that the pillow is somewhat lumpy. There are also complaints that the pillow is somewhat difficult to maneuver in the night if you need to shift sleeping positions.
- Patented design was developed by a registered nurse and mom
- Includes sham-style removable and washable pillow cover
- Gives extra body support without causing overheating
- Streamlined design doesn’t take up too much room in bed
- Not the full-body support of the U-shaped pillows
- Some consumers are not a fan of the cover that comes with this body pillow and recommend purchasing an alternative
- Some consumers complain pillow is lumpy
- Somewhat difficult to turn the pillow over when you change positions in the night
9. Best Pregnancy Body Pillow for Non-Pregnant People: Restorology Full 60-Inch Body Pregnancy Pillow with Washable Cover
The Restorology Full 60-Inch Body Pregnancy Pillow with Washable Cover is another C-shaped pillow that provides support for the back and head, especially during pregnancy. It is designed to help prevent and relive sciatica, heartburn and lower back pain. This pillow is made to follow the natural contours of your body, providing full support, whether you’re pregnant or not. Restorology is so confident you will love this pillow that it comes with a 30-day satisfaction guarantee!
This pillow is slightly pricier than the other C-/J-shaped pillow featured in this article. Some consumers, of course, will prefer a U-shaped body pillow for fuller support. The product information on the Restorology pillow does not state what materials this pillow and cover are made from. The pillow cover only comes in one color, white, which some consumers may not prefer due to its tendency to get dirty faster than other colors.
- 30-day satisfaction guarantee
- Machine-washable zippered cover
- Supports your head and back to prevent and relieve sciatica, heartburn and lower back pain
- Designed to follow the natural contours of your body for full support
- Somewhat more expensive than other C- or J-shaped pillows
- Not a full U-shaped pillow with support on all sides
- Product information does not show what materials pillow is made from
- Pillow case only comes in one color (white)
Find more Restorology Full 60-Inch Body Pregnancy Pillow with Washable Cover information and reviews here.
10. Most Compact U-Shaped Pregnancy Body Pillow: Leachco Back ‘N Belly Contoured Body Pillow
The Leachco Back ‘N Belly Contoured Body Pillow is a U-shaped pillow from the same brand that brought us the Snoogle Total Body Pillow. The full-body support of this pregnancy body pillow is ideal for the treatment of symptoms of sciatica, gastric reflux, congestion, fibromyalgia and carpal tunnel syndrome. The U shape means you don’t have to reposition the pillow in the night—you can just turn from side to side and snuggle back up. This body pillow helps align your hips for neutral body positioning that eases the aches and discomforts of pregnancy. It also includes a custom cover case that can be removed for washing.
One downside is that if you need to replace your cover, it will cost around $50 (though some consumers get creative and make their own covers, from instructions found online). The material in this pillow tends to make some consumers hot while sleeping. As with many body pillows, it becomes somewhat difficult to pry yourself out in the middle of the night if you need to get up and use the restroom. And as with almost all U-shaped pillows, this one takes up a lot of room in bed—though this one seems to be more streamlined and take up less room as compared to some other brands.
Price: $64.99 (19 percent off MSRP)
- No repositioning during the night—simply turn from side to side
- Full-body support is ideal for treatment of symptoms of sciatica, gastric reflux, congestion, fibromyalgia and carpal tunnel syndrome
- U-shaped pillow aligns your hips for neutral body positioning that eases the aches and discomforts of pregnancy
- Includes custom cover case that can be removed for washing
- Replacement covers are expensive
- This pillow tends to make some consumers hot while sleeping
- Somewhat difficult to escape from the pillow to get up and pee during the night
- Takes up a lot of room in bed
Heavy, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by linking to Amazon. Our product recommendations are guided solely by our editors. We have no relationship with manufacturers.
Discuss on Facebook