If you’re looking to buy a gift for the photographer in your life, there are plenty of options at a variety of price points. The items on this list have also been chosen to work either casual photographers or professionals. They are not specific to camera types or specific kinds of users. Indeed, all of these accessories will be a useful asset to any photographer looking to expand their craft. They make for great birthday presents, holiday gifts, or just a fun surprise.
We’ve also selected options ranging in price. There truly is a great accessory for every and any kind of “photog” on this list, whether the gift-receiver in mind is amateur, professional, or a fresh-faced beginner.
Here’s the top 10 best gifts for photographers in terms of camera accessories.
1. Fovitec StudioPRO Lighting Kit
Nothing makes photos look better than a high quality lighting kit. Many new photographers focus (no pun intended) on getting expensive lenses or cameras, but well-executed lighting is unbeatable in terms of the value it brings to the table. This kit is a great price for its powerful, portable, and versatile lights. A great, unique feature of this kit is that the lights have adjustable brightness, which is a great asset when trying to create specific moods, whether they’re for stills or videography.
- Huge kit with great durability
- Robust in capability, portable
- Lights are energy efficient
- Silver lining means light is reflected maximally
- Can be tough to put together; there’s no instruction
- Setup time can be long
2. Peak Design Everyday Backpack 30L
Full disclosure: Peak Design sent me a review copy of this backpack and nothing has been the same since. While spending this kind of cash on a bag can seem excessive, one must take the long view: this bag is built to last. We’re definitely talking about a decade, not even a couple of years. At that rate, having a bag that can hold your precious camera gear (or anything, the bag can be completely hollowed out), is better than a good deal.
The bag can easily hold 2 massive lenses and 2 DSLRs. The sections can all be removed so in addition to being organizationally robust, it can also just plain hold a lot of stuff. It has a laptop sleeve and two large side pockets. This is a great bag for travelling with your gear, or with a mix of your normal stuff (clothes etc) and some camera gear. While it is technically 18.5″, I have not had any problem bringing it aboard airplanes with the technical limit of 18″ (this is often called a personal bag).
This bag has no compromises. It has two large side pockets with plenty of tiny sub-pockets (great for holding SD cards, audio recorders etc), and a pocket that’s above the laptop pouch that’s great for stowing things like keys, wallets, and other practical items one may need to reach frequently.
The biggest thing here is the build quality. This bag is built like a tank. It offers a good amount of protection to everything in it, but one may want to throw some padding in there; it’s a very strong bag, but not the most padded. However, this is a strength in my view, since it has so much space, one can configure it as they see fit. While having my laptop this unprotected initially bothered me, the design is well set-up so a laptop in the back sleeve is actually pretty shielded, since it’s against your back, and the rest of the bag is behind the laptop.
This bag is expensive, but it’s worth every penny. Peak Design has truly made a “buy-it-for-life” kind of bag and there are no flaws with it. It offers great straps, superb build quality, and in general, is wonderfully ergonomic (you can pick it up on any and every side). The worst thing I can say about it is that it’s a big bag, but it’s also available in a smaller 20L ($259.95 on Amazon) size. Plus, if you’re in the market for something way smaller, Peak Design also sent me this smaller 5L bag ($99.95 on Amazon), which is great for carrying around a small to medium lens, DSLR, and some extras (SD cards etc). It boasts a very similar construction quality (and material) to this bag. It’s a must for those who want a lighter load.
This image shows the interior structure of the bag and its large carrying capacity, along with its organizational features.
- Extremely high quality construction
- Opens from every which way for easy access
- Water-resistant, highly durable
- Side pockets are great for storing extras such as water bottles
- Chic exterior
- Light for its size
- Pricey but quality is buy-it-for-life
- Large size may be too much for small or shorter people
- 30L size may be overkill
3. For shooting 4K video (100mbps) – The PNY Elite Performance 64GB
Having an extra memory card is like going on a hike and taking extra water and Ibuprofen. This is the perfect gift because this memory card from PNY is a great addition to any shooter’s arsenal. It’s not like other SD cards; it has very fast transfer rates. This card is good to go for shooting 4K footage on say, an a7sII or taking a ton of pictures in a row on a fast shooting Canon. This is a superb card that will please virtually all photographers. 64GB also is a lot of data! This is a great stocking stuffer.
Price: $34.99 (64GB model)
- Warranty is for life (limited)
- Waterproof, reliable brand
- Compatible with SDHC & SDXC devices
- Useful for additional hard drive storage
- Can’t store an OS (such as Raspberry Pi)
4. MagicFiber Cleaning Clothes (6 Pack)
MagicFiber is the number one way to clean cameras, lenses, and virtually anything that’s sensitive. These affordable cloths put no wear and tear on electronic surfaces and are great for picking up smears, smudges, and dust. This six pack includes plenty of fibers (perhaps even to distribute to two photographers). They’re a great deal and while they’re not the most eye-popping gift one can receive, they’re just plain handy.
Price: $8.99 (31 percent off MSRP)
- Includes 3 month warranty from manufacturer
- Easy way to safely clean virtually all services
- Included gray cloth can help in calibrating camera color
- Cheap stocking stuffer that’s shockingly handy
- Six cloths may be excessive to some
5. Chrome Macro Ring Light
Ring lights are awesome. Whether the person you’re getting a gift is a portrait specialist or not, everyone wants to take better pictures of people, dogs, cats, and other intimate subjects. Nothing helps like a ring light! This simple, affordable ring light takes just a few AA batteries and is guaranteed to drastically enhance the appearance of any subjects one chooses to photograph.
- Use 2 double AA batteries
- Ringlight includes adapter rings for different shaped cameras
- Three operation modes
- Extremely helpful for portrait photography
- Doesn’t fit some cameras
6. Roxant Pro Handheld Stabilizer (Best value)
If you’re looking to get a gift for a photographer shooting on a point and shoot, mirrorless, or DSLR camera and you don’t want to spring for an expensive gimbal, this stabilizer is an awesome budget choice. If you want to learn more about gimbals, check out our article about the best three axis gimbals here. The Roxant Pro, however, is a simple mechanical device that drastically improves the footage quality of anyone willing to take the time (a few hours) to masters its intricacies. It’s loved by hundreds of users for its great durability, price, and efficacy. Sure, it’s not as sexy out of the box as a new gimbal, but this stabilizer is also purely mechanical which means one doens’t have to worry about charging it, breaking it, or exposing it to weather. It’s not for everyone, but it’s a great product for those who are looking for a deal and a practical, durable tool.
- Works with cameras of any size (up to heavy DSLR)
- Manufacturer guarantees lifetime support
- Easy to balance and setup once initially calibrated
- Almost as good as gimbal stabilizers at fraction of the price
- Product is best when enhanced with nuts (or other counterweights) adding to set up complexity)
- A small percentage of people found it too challenging to learn
7. Pelican 1610
With a large interior measuring 21.78″ x 16.69″ x 10.62″, this case offers huge space and legendary quality. Pelican cases are the industry standard for professionals. At this price, however, they may make the perfect gift for the amateur who wants a beyond safe place to keep their stuff. Pelican cases can take a drop, submersion in water, and have fully customizable soft interiors. If you want to give your photog the gift of safety and convenience, this case will keep their gear safer than any bag.
- Best quality cases in the business
- Watertight, easy-to-open
- Extremely tough, durable and long-lasting
8. Peak Design Cuff Camera Strap
This is a great product that one would never think to purchase: a cuff strap. While having a camera around one’s neck allows one to distribute its weight and keep it close to their person, this wrist strap is more about getting unique angles. For the photographer or videographer who is all about spontaneous or action-based shooting, this strap allows one to have unparalleled flexibility, while still keeping their camera safely within arm’s reach.
- Makes taking interesting shots easier
- Works with variety of cameras
- Extremely durable
- Compatible with other Peak Design products
- Requires user to carry as much weight; not really good for distributing weight
- Quick attach tab can be hard to remove
9. Case Logic Camera & Laptop Bag (The Ultimate Warranty Backpack)
While it’s not as luxurious as the Peak Design bag, this Case Logic bag includes a 25 year warranty and a lot of very nice options. It boasts a customizable interior so one can move the foam around to hold a variety of goods. On top of this, the case also has a unique design feature: an internal hammock. This means that a hard drop to the ground will not damage one’s camera! This laptop can also hold a 17″ laptop and has a bevy of small pockets. Plus, there’s a side hook for stowing a tripod. It’s got it all and at a very reasonable price.
- Waterproof base
- Thich, not too tall, attractive unisex design
- Internal foam offers protection
- Camera easy to access from top of bag
- Mesh straps allow for breathability
- Laptop compartment has ample padding
- Does not include rain protector
- Carrying handle isn’t as good of quality as rest of bag
- No strap on waist
- Internal camera hammock is great as a shock resister, but some cameras are too large for it
10. Joby GorillaPod Flexible Tripod
This unique gift is already hugely popular, but for a good reason: it’s just plain fun. The GorillaPod flips the traditional tripod idea on its head. Instead of letting one take a simple stable shot from a level height, the GorillaPod asks its user, “Where can one take a shot from?” It’s legs are capable of grabbing onto a variety of surfaces like tree trunks, hand-rails, and other urban elements. This is a great gift for the photographer who has it all or for anyone who likes to incorporate spontaneity into their shoots.
- Strong, long-lasting & flexible
- Great for taking unique shots
- Used by famous vloggers
- Portable, small, and great for adventure-seekers
- Short; not a standard tripod height
Discuss on Facebook