Hardcore wrestling fans know that WWE Smackdown is a taped show that’s shown to a live audience on Tuesday and debuted on Friday night for television viewers.
The WWE recently made their way over the United Kingdom for a special showing of the company’s main programs (WWE RAW and Smackdown). Interestingly enough, the 05/20/2014 live taping of WWE Smackdown has leaked online and its completely uncut and unedited. If you’ve always wondered what went into the production of WWE TV shows, then you need to see this.
You can head to the Dailymotion links listed below to view this full episode before it airs on SyFy’s edited edition (there are other ways to watch this unedited episode at this LINK). You can also check out some of the uncut production notes right after the video links.
Deadspin actually listed some of the more interesting instances that can be seen and heard during this uncut UK edition of WWE Smackdown:
• Announcers Michael Cole and John Bradshaw Layfield making entrances, with their own music, prior to the start of the show—and JBL getting a playful shove off the ring stairs from the cameraman. Cole: “I cannot wait until he takes that bump coming down that ramp.”
• The audience’s actual reactions. The pretaped Smackdown is notorious for sweetening (even dubbing over) cheers and boos to reinforce the ostensible facedom or heeldom of wrestlers.
• Cole and JBL’s constant chatter through their headsets with show producer Kevin Dunn and Vince McMahon—it’s amazing to me how involved McMahon still is with his product.
• Starting at 1:50 of the first video, ring announcer Tony Chimel’s botched introduction of Jimmy Hart. Cole: “Is he going to introduce Jimmy, since he just did? Chimel just introduced him. Somebody might want to tell him, I don’t think he knows.” JBL: “He doesn’t know, he’s looking over there like a goof.”
• At 51:52 of the second video, Cole asks McMahon about some talking point, “Do you want me to say that every time, because I’ve said it a shitload of times tonight.” We don’t hear Vince’s reply, but we do hear Cole’s cowed reaction: “OK…yes sir…yes sir…OK, I’ve got it sir.”
Discuss on Facebook