There has been so much rumor-mongering and speculation centering on which DC superhero/super villain Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson will be playing. Today (September 3, 2014), the news has become official – “The Rock” will be stepping into the evil boots of Shazam’s main rival, Black Adam!
Here’s all the important details regarding Dwayne Johnson’s next big movie role and what’s up next from DC’s film schedule.
1. Dwayne Johnson Will Play Black Adam in the Upcoming Shazam Film
— Dwayne Johnson (@TheRock) September 3, 2014
Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson hopped on Twitter today (September 3, 2014) and dropped the biggest bombshell he’s ever dropped: He’ll be starring in DC Comics’ Shazam film adaptation as the anti-villain known as Black Adam.
Black Adam is known for having the same comparable powers that Shazam has — slight, super strength, super agility, the ability to use lightning powers and magic manipulation. The biggest rumor surrounding this film is that it’s slated for a release sometime in 2016.
2. The Rumored Director & Screenwriter for the Shazam Movie Has Hit the Web
Darren has written and directed major motion pictures such as Jack The Giant Slayer, Shrek Forever After, Turbo and the upcoming Goosebumps film. Hiram Garcia has worked on several films that star Dwayne Johnson – Hercules, Journey 2: The Mysterious Island, Fast Five and G.I. Joe: Retaliation.
3. Warner Bros. & DC Have Released Their Superhero Movie Schedule
In August 2014, Warner Bros. and DC Comics showed the world their upcoming schedule for several unannounced superhero films. Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (March 25, 2016) will start off this concentrated move to make the DC Comics universe just as big as Marvel Studios’ slate of films.
Check out the full list below to see the full DC Comics movie schedule:
• Untitled DC Film – 08/05/16
• Untitled DC Film – 06/23/17
• Untitled DC Film – 11/17/17
• Untitled DC Film – 03/23/18
• Untitled DC Film – 07/27/18
• Untitled WB Event Film – 11/16/18
• Untitled DC Film – 04/05/19
• Untitled DC Film – 06/14/19
• Untitled DC Film – 04/03/20
• Untitled DC Film – 06/19/20
• Untitled WB Event Film – 11/20/20
4. Four Separate Domain Names Have Been Put Up for Several DC Comics Films
It’s interesting to note that Warner Bros. has registered four domain names for four expected DC Comics films. ComicBookResources.com listed the following website names (at the moment, they currently lead back to the offical Warner Bros. website):
5. Dwayne Johnson Was Also Rumored to Play Lobo
— Dwayne Johnson (@TheRock) July 15, 2012
Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson has had his name thrown around for years when it comes to the world of superhero films. Back in 2012, his name was tied to DC’s badass space biker – Lobo. However, on February 18, 2013, Dwayne went on to confirm that he had left the project. As of now, the Lobo film adaptation has been put on hold indefinitely.