If you’re looking for a live stream of Sunday night’s Game of Thrones Season 6 premiere, there are a handful of free options, regardless of whether you have cable.
The premiere is set for 9 p.m. Eastern Sunday on HBO, with After the Thrones available the following day. We’ll finally find out what happened to Jon Snow (yes, we are holding out hope!), and we’ll see where Daenerys is heading, if Sansa escaped, and what exactly is going on with Cersei, Tyrion, Arya, and Bran.
Here’s a rundown of the streaming options available:
If You Have a Cable or Satellite Subscription That Includes HBO
If you have a cable or satellite package that includes HBO, you can watch the premiere for free via HBO Go. It’s a streaming service that’s included with a regular HBO cable subscription. You’ll need your cable or satellite log-in information to access the service.
On a computer, go to HBOGO.com and choose “Sign in” in the upper righthand corner. On mobile devices, open the HBO GO app and choose “sign in.” You’ll need to choose your TV provider, then enter your username and password for your TV account. If this is your first time using the service, you’ll need to create an HBO Go ID.
HBO Go is available on these supported devices, including Apple TV, Apple mobile devices, Amazon Fire, Android mobile devices, Android TV, computers, Chromecast, Playstation 3 & 4, Roku, Samsung Smart TVs, TiVO, and Xbox 360 and Xbox One.
If You Don’t Have a Cable or Satellite Subscription & You’re Only Interested in ‘Game of Thrones’ & Other HBO Programming
If you’re in the United States and you don’t have a cable or satellite subscription that includes HBO, you can use the HBO NOW service. It costs $14.99 per month, but it has a free one-month trial. This means that if you sign up this weekend, you can watch the first four episodes of Game of Thrones for free on the trial.
Signing up for HBO NOW is a little complicated, so you’ll want to follow these steps:
1. First Subscribe to HBO NOW
HBO NOW is a standalone streaming-only service, but there are only two ways to sign up, depending on if you want to sign up via a mobile device or on your computer. Signing up through a mobile device is easier.
If you want to sign up through a mobile or TV device, you’ll need to download the HBO NOW app:
- If you have an iPhone or Apple device, get the app on the App Store here.
- For Android, the app can be downloaded at this link.
- For Amazon devices like Fire, download from the Amazon App store at this link.
- For Apple TV, the app is already installed and should be on your home screen.
- For Roku, add the HBO Now channel through the channel store.
- For Samsung Smart TVs, search for HBO Now on the Smart Hub.
- For Xbox One or Xbox 360, download HBO Now in the Apps window.
If you want to sign up for HBO NOW on your computer:
After signing up, you’ll need to complete an HBO NOW profile. On your computer, start here, choose your provider, and sign-in with the username or password from your Internet or mobile account. From a phone or tablet, download the app here, open the app, tap “link to your new subscription,” and choose your provider. Sign in with your username and password from your Internet or mobile provider and complete the registration.
If you want to watch HBO NOW on a computer, you’ll need either Mac OS 10.6 or later or Windows Vista or later. Supported browsers include Chrome 37 or later, Firefox 31 or later, Internet Explorer 10 or later, and Safari 7 or later.
If You Don’t Have a Cable or Satellite Subscription & You’re Interested in Additional Channels Beyond HBO
Users without cable or satellite access to HBO, but who are interested in watching HBO and other channels, can watch the premiere — and all other HBO programming — through Sling TV, an online streaming service that provides access to a handful of channels for a monthly fee. The service’s Best of Live TV Package, which includes channels ranging from ESPN to CNN to AMC, costs $20 per month, but you’ll have to select the HBO add-on, which is an extra $15 per month. But you can watch a week’s worth of episodes for free via Sling’s free 7-day trial. If you keep Sling beyond the trial, you’ll have to pay $35 a month — $20 for the Best of Live TV package and $15 for the HBO add-on.
To sign up for Sling, follow these steps:
1. Click here to sign up for Sling TV. You’ll need to enter your credit card information when signing up, but if you cancel your subscription before the trial period ends, you will not be charged.
2. When you sign up, you’ll be prompted to select Sling’s standard Best of Live TV package, which costs $20 per month. You’ll also have the option to add extra packages, all of which come with a monthly fee but are included in the free trial. If you’re primarily interested in watching the Game of Thrones premiere, you’ll need to select the HBO add-on.
3. Download the Sling desktop app, and navigate over to HBO to watch the premiere.
With an App:
There’s also a Sling app for Roku, Chromecast, Nexus player, ZTE and XBox One. Click here for a full list of compatible devices.
Click here to sign up for Sling TV. You’ll need to enter your credit card information when signing up, but if you cancel your subscription before the 7-day trial period ends, you will not be charged.