‘Frozen 2’: Will Disney Give Elsa a Girlfriend?

frozen, frozen elsa, frozen elsa gay

Fans have started a Twitter campaign using the hashtag #GiveElsaAGirlfriend asking Disney to make Queen Elsa a lesbian. (Facebook/Frozen)

Disney’s Frozen skyrocketed to success led by two strong female characters, sisters Queen Elsa and Princess Anna. Unlike most Disney films, the movie, inspired by Hans Christian Andersen’s fairy tale The Snow Queen, focused on the love between two sisters rather than a princess falling in love with a prince.

Aside from the feminist overtones of Frozen, some saw Queen Elsa’s story as a metaphor for coming out. This reading has prompted many fans of the Disney movie to demand the studio give Elsa a female companion in the upcoming sequel and spread their message on Twitter using the hashtag, #GiveElsaAGirlfriend. If the Frozen 2 writers follow through, Elsa would become Disney’s first openly gay character.

Here’s what you need to know.

1. High School Student Alexis Isabel Coined the #GiveElsaAGirlfriend Hashtag

Alexis Isabel, a high school student and contributing writer for MTV, coined the hashtag #GiveElsaAGirlfriend in a tweet on April 30. She then tweeted to her more than 83,000 Twitter followers to tweet the hashtag at Disney.

Isabel got the idea for the hashtag when she realized that she had never seen “a princess fall in love with another princess” while growing up, she wrote on MTV.com. She believed it would be “iconic” if Disney changed course from the expected — Elsa gets hitched to a prince or king — and gave her a female love interest instead. The teenager then listed off other unconventional relationships portrayed in children’s films like Shrek, Disney’s Beauty and the Beast and Bee Movie.

The entertainment industry has given us girls who have fallen in love with beasts, ogres who fall for humans, and even grown women who love bees. But we’ve never been able to see the purity in a queer relationship.

2. Idina Menzel Supports Her Character Getting a Girlfriend

Idina Menzel, the voice behind Queen Elsa, supports the idea of her character getting a girlfriend in the Frozen sequel. “I think it’s great,” she told Entertainment Tonight at the 2016 Billboard Music Awards. “Disney’s just gotta contend with that. I’ll let them figure that out.”

3. Queen Elsa Would Be Disney’s First Openly Gay Character

The Walt Disney Company has shown its support for LGBT issues over the years, but it has yet to feature these characters in its film productions. Fans have speculated about the sexual preference of some Disney characters such as Ursula from The Little Mermaid, Terk from Tarzan and Scar from The Lion King as well as Timon and Pumba.

Others who saw Frozen already believe the film introduced Disney’s first gay character in Oaken, the owner of Wandering Oaken’s Trading Post and Sauna. In one quick scene, he waves to his family in the sauna where another man and four children are sitting. Co-director and screenwriter Jennifer Lee commented on Oaken’s perceived homosexuality in an interview with The Big Issue in March 2014.

We know what we made, but at the same time I feel like once we hand the film over it belongs to the world so I don’t like to say anything, and let the fans talk. I think it’s up to them.

4. #GiveElsaAGirlfriend Has Received Mixed Reaction on Twitter

frozen 2, queen elsa gay, disney gay characters

Twitter user @daddyelycia imagined this scenario for Queen Elsa.

Isabel found a groundswell of support as her four initial tweets about idea received a combined 2,179 retweets and 5,216 likes (as of May 3). Thousands more used the hashtag #GiveElsaAGirlfriend in their owns tweets at Disney.

Of course, not everyone has jumped on board with the idea. Some have threatened to boycott Disney if the plot line is developed and other have argued against the movie getting too political.

Others believe Queen Elsa doesn’t need a woman or a man by her side to rule over Arendelle.

5. ‘Frozen 2’ Likely Won’t Premiere Before 2018

Disney announced plans for a Frozen sequel in March 2015, but a packed schedule will keep the movie from premiering anytime before 2018. The original movie premiered in November 2013 and became the highest-grossing animated film of all time, earning a worldwide total of $1.276 billion.

Original cast members Kristen Bell (Anna), Idina Menzel (Elsa), Jonathan Groff (Kristoff) and and Josh Gad (Olaf) are confirmed to reprise their voice roles in the sequel. They also returned for the short film Frozen Fever, which ran before Disney’s live-action Cinderella last spring and are featured in the new “Frozen Ever After” ride at Epcot park in Walt Disney World, set to open on June 21, 2016.

Co-directors Lee and Chris Buck will also return along with producer Peter Del Vecho from Walt Disney Animation Studios, who took home the Oscar in 2014 for Frozen‘s Best Animated Feature win. The Oscar-winning songwriters Kristen Anderson-Lopez and Robert Lopez, who penned “Let It Go,” are not confirmed to write the music for the sequel, but they will be write the music for the Broadway version of Frozen.

Suby

please do not give Elsa a girlfriend,but instead,join hands with DreamWorks to get her Jack frost from ROTG,I mean they have the same qualities,isolation,ice Powers. and a fortune can be made cause everyone loves jelsa(Jack and Elsa)

I don’t mean to get people mad or anything but #GiveElsaAGirlfriend, I like the concept behind it. And I HOPE and PRAY that Disney does it.

Colleen mcCutcheon

Give me a break!!! Kids should not be exposed to this lifestyle in a KIDS movie. Let them be kids Parents-it’s your responsibility to educate your child. Just as it is with your religion. Why not a story line that has Elsa andAnna’s parents come back. They were stranded on an island. During this time they had another daughter with the opposite powers of Elsa. Be creative have another success!!!!!!

FROZEN 2

FROZEN 2
MOVIE
TV CHANNEL NILE SAT
YOUTUBE FROZEN 2 LOVE HANS AND ELSA ANNA LOVE KRISTOFF
TOYS ANNA AND ELSA AND HANS AND KRISTOFF

a Jensen

Putting religion aside I have nothing but love for the LGBT community
But with a lot of people being skeptical about this topic
It might be wise not to put it in the cartoon
I think that it is great Disney is open to the concept
A lot of my friends are from that community. If times were different I would be all for giving her a girlfriend. But on the safe side I would shy away from that angle

FROZEN 2

ELSA LOVE HANS
ANNA AND ELSA WOMAN
FROZEN 2
MOVIE
YOUTUBE FROZEN 2 LOVE HANS AND ELSA AND ANNA LOVE KRISTOFF

Leah

Noticed anything about elsas boobs lol i hope they make her lesbian i want to see her and some other girl i am lesbian ive had sex its like heaven

elsa

Frozen queen should be given boyfriend because frozen queen a lesbian yuck super flop… and childrens too watch it so what they will see. Lolz. 2 girls having fun loving each other

Okay so although I disagree with the lifestyle of LGBTs, I have NO problem accepting them and being loving towards them. Heck, 3 of my best friends are bi/gay. But this has gotten out of hand. I think it’s awful that people would try to take advantage of the most popular Disney princess at the moment, and use her as a platform for their beliefs. You don’t see religious groups like Christians or Jews petitioning to make Elsa a missionary or something. I get that LGBT people haven’t had much representation, but if Elsa is a lesbian in Frozen 2, then there’s a storm brewing. I’m sorry to say Give Elsa aGirlfriend supporters, but people will be more angry than ever with the LGBT community for dragging in same-sex marriage into their 2 yr olds favorite film (and I’m not just talking conservatives here).If Disney wants to introduce gay characters, they need to make a slow transition with new characters, not force feed it into childrens’ mouths with the most iconic ones like Elsa. I mean you let the parents buy the Frozen toys, clothes, bedsheets, then you turn around with a “by the way Elsa’s a lesbian” and you’re going to have parents boycotting and suing. Then your message won’t get out, and you’ll be losing money out the wazoo. Plus, what’s wrong with Elsa being a single gal? I though that’s what made her pretty iconic.

Okay so although I disagree with the lifestyle of LGBTs, I have NO problem accepting them and being loving towards them. Heck, 3 of my best friends are bi/gay. But this has gotten out of hand. I think it’s awful that people would try to take advantage of the most popular Disney princess at the moment, and use her as a platform for their beliefs. You don’t see religious groups like Christians or Jews petitioning to make Elsa a missionary or something. I get that LGBT people haven’t had much representation, but if Elsa is a lesbian in Frozen 2, then there’s a storm brewing. I’m sorry to say Give Elsa aGirlfriend supporters, but people will be more angry than ever with the LGBT community for dragging in same-sex marriage into their 2 yr olds favorite film (and I’m not just talking conservatives here).If Disney wants to introduce gay characters, they need to make a slow transition with new characters, not force feed it into childrens’ mouths with the most iconic ones like Elsa. I mean you let the parents buy the Frozen toys, clothes, bedsheets, then you turn around with a “by the way Elsa’s a lesbian” and you’re going to have parents boycotting and suing. Then your message won’t get out, and you’ll be losing money out the wazoo. Plus, what’s wrong with Elsa being single? I though that’s what made her pretty iconic.

Is it really so much to ask that a girl can be single and happy? I would say ‘Frozen’ had a really good ending, and although Anna and Kristoff had a thing, the ending wasn’t all about their romance. It was about Anna and Elsa, and how Elsa had become a wonderful leader and friend to her people. She didn’t have a prince, she didn’t have a princess. If the creators thought that she needed a love interest for it to be a “happy ending” they would have, they could’ve stuck in one of Hans brothers in as a possible love interest for the future or something. BUT. THEY. DIDNT. So this is why I’m confused as to why all of a sudden Elsa needs a girlfriend, and why I will be pissed off if Disney gives her a boyfriend or girlfriend. Elsa is the first princess/queen to be seen ruling her land without a partner, and I think that’s pretty amazing. It resembles single female leaders like Joan of Arc or Elizabeth the first, who never married, yet lead their lands to victory and made history. A lot of people argue that Merida is already sufficient in teaching kids about independence, but her and Elsa are very different, and I think Elsa is a better role model. Merida didn’t want to marry because she’s just a young teenager who just isn’t ready to be in that kind of relationship, especially one that her parents choose for her. She wants to be young, understandable since she’s ONLY LIKE FRICKIN 16. But Elsa isn’t just some rebellious teen, she’s a woman. And when kids see that, Elsa, a woman, ruling her kingdom on her own, they are learning that (whether or not they are LGBT) a lover is not the key to success, nor what make you whole. Don’t get me wrong love is important, but its not always romantic love that saves the day. I mean #giveelsaagirlfriend may have good intentions, but it’s still in the mindset of “she needs someone for a happy ending”. Frozen was completely revolutionary in showing kids that not all love had to be romantic, and that the love of your family is just as strong. So why do we need to change that? I get some people saw Let it Go as a LGBT anthem, but it should resonate as an anthem for everyone who has to aquire self-acceptance. So I ask once again, why can’t Elsa be happy on her own? Was the ending of Frozen not enough proof that a woman can live without a lover and still have a happy ending? Are teenage princesses the only ones that are allowed to be okay with being single?