Today is Free Comic Book Day, so participating comic book shops will be giving away as many as 50 comic books for free. The holiday has been around since 2002, when Sam Raimi’s Spider-Man came out, and has provided the industry with an annual boost. Both DC Comics and Marvel have free titles and plenty of other publishers are also giving away samplers.
This year’s Free Comic Book Day is timed to the release of Marvel’s Guardians of the Galaxy, Vol. 3. Since the holiday is always the first Saturday of May, there’s usually a summer blockbuster released around the same time.
Many of the books are special edition reprints or samplers, with excerpts from multiple issues in one book. There are also two different groups of books, and not all FCBD participating stores will have both. There’s the “Gold Comics,” which include the most popular ones, while the “Silver Comics” include more of the kid-friendly books and other titles.
There are comics available for everyone, no matter your age or favorite characters. (OK, there’s no Star Wars book this year, so fans of that franchise are left out.) Even fans of video games like The Legend of Zelda and Street Fighter can pick up free books. Star Trek fans should be excited for Star Trek: The Next Generation – Mirror Broken, a series set in the “Mirror, Mirror” universe.
It’s important to note that your local comic book store pays for the free books, so don’t go into a store and just pick up stuff you don’t have to pay for. Buy something and support a local small business!
Before we get to the complete list, click here to find your local participating stores.
- Betty & Veronica #1 – Archie Comics
- Bongo Comics Free-For-All – Bongo Comics
- BOOM! Studios Summer Blast – BOOM! Studios
- AVATAR/Briggs Land – Dark Horse
- Doctor Who – Titan
- I Hate Image – Image Comics (Mature Readers)
- Rick And Morty – ONI
- Secret Empire/Peter Parker: The Spectacular Spider-Man – Marvel
- Star Trek: The Next Generation – Mirror Broken – IDW
- The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess – VIZ
- Wonder Woman #1 – DC Comics
- X-O Manowar Special – Valiant
- 2000 AD Special – Rebellion/2000 AD
- All-New Guardians of the Galaxy/The Defenders – Marvel
- Animal Jam – D.E.
- Attack on Titan – Kodanasha Comics
- Bad Machinery – ONI
- The Ballad of Franklin Bonisteel – Z2 Comics
- Barbie – Papercutz
- Fresh Off The Boat Presents Legion of Dope-Itude Featuring Lazy Boy – BOOM! Studios
- Catalyst Prime: The Event – Lion Forge
- Captain Canuck – Chapterhouse
- Colorful Monsters – Drawn & Quarterly
- Buffy The Vampire Slayer: The High School Years/Planets vs. Zombies – Dark Horse
- DC Super Hero Girls – DC Comics
- World’s Greatest Cartoonist – Fantagraphics (Mature)
- Time Shifters – Graphix
- Grimm Fairy Tales – Zenescope Entertainment
- Hostage/Poppies of Iraq – Drawn & Quarterly
- Hilda’s Back – Nobrow Press
- The Incal – Humanoids
- Zeyser Soze/The Rift – Red 5 Comics
- Kid Savage – Image
- Lady Mechanika – Benitez Productions
- Looking Glass Wars: Crossfire – Automatic Pictures
- Loud House – Papercutz
- Malika Warrior Queen – Youneek Studios
- Miraculous – Action Lab Entertainment
- Monster High – Titan
- Riverdale One-Shot – Archie Comics
- Spill Night – :01 First Second
- Spongebob Freestyle Funnies – United Plankton Pictures
- Steam Wars: Strike Leader – Antarctic Press
- Street Fighter V: Wrestling Special – Udon
- Tex Patagonia – Epicenter
- The Tick – New England Comics
- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Prelude to Dimension X
- Disney Descendants – TokyoPop
- Underdog – American Mythology
- Dragon Ball Super/Boruto – VIZ