6. There’s No Die in Team
“If you want to conquer the world, you best have dragons.”
– George R.R. Martin, A Dance With Dragons
• Guilds are a lot more than social clubs. War Dragons features real-time multiplayer and your guild can give you give you sizable defensive and offensive advantages if you ask for their help. Whenever you’re attacking or defending your base, invite a teammate to join the fray and boost your defensive structures. For offense, they will be able to send one dragon to help destroy the base. It also doesn’t hurt to lend a helping hand. Joining a teammate in battle is one of the most efficient ways to strengthen your dragons, get greater resource payout and earn special boosts.
7. The Art of Self-Defense
“Never laugh at live dragons.”
– J.R.R. Tolkien, The Hobbit
• The world of War Dragons is filled to the brim beautiful dragons of all shapes, sizes and colors. And they all want to destroy you. In order to stay alive, you’re going to have to be strategic about setting up your defenses. If you have a particular problem with one base, try and learn from what they did to make themselves so impenetrable. You should also study your replays to devise a strong defensive layout. It’s also important not to rely on any one tower (more on that later) and develop a well-rounded defense. Otherwise, your opponents can use a single dragon type to raid you with ease. For example, if you have a cluster of archer towers with no defense, someone could just send in a dragon with archer resist and wipe you out without breaking a sweat. You’ll also have a lot of excess lumber in the early stages of the game and you should use that to level up your cannons and archer towers to give your base a fighting chance.
8. Know Your Spell Towers
“Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.”
― Neil Gaiman, Coraline
• When you design your defense, having a solid understanding of spell towers can keep your kingdom from being reduced to ashes. Here’s a few tips to keep the dragons at bay:
– Red mage towers block and disable firing any red spells. Blue mage towers do the same for blue spells
– Cannon towers will break through any shield, even invincibility
– Grouping together lightning towers amplifies each one’s power
– Storm towers have the ability to defend nearby towers
– Mage towers are critical to blocking dragon spells, but if you build too many you might not have enough firepower
9. Birds and Bees and Dragons: Breeding Your Way to Victory
“Come not between the dragon and his wrath.”
– William Shakespeare, King Lear
• Just as you can’t make an omelette without cracking a few eggs, you can’t make a dragon without breeding a few eggs. Dragon eggs are necessary to both hatch new kinds of dragons and to research new abilities for your dragons and structures. The catch is that breeding may not always produce the dragon you’re hoping for. But don’t fret, if you don’t get the egg you want, you can still use them to research abilities like making your dragons more powerful or making your buildings more effective. When starting out, do as many of the Dragon Guard missions as you can. This will get you more breeding tokens, which gets you more eggs. Why dragons require tokens to breed is a question better left unanswered. Also, keep your eyes peeled for divine dragon breeding opportunities. They only occur every few months and can get you some very powerful dragons.
10. War! What is it Good For? (Winning Lots of Tokens)
“Dragons beget dragons.”
– Chinese Proverb
• Once you’ve joined a guild, built a sizable dragon roster and set up some defenses, you’ll be ready for war. Wars are 24-hour skirmishes where one guild challenges another guild for supremacy. Winning a war requires the entire guild’s involvement and there’s a few tricks to give yourselves an advantage. Inside the guild, have the highest-level players support lower-level players to take out bases and defend themselves. In individual battles, try and get five flames each time. This is accomplished by taking out an enemy base with just one of your dragons and one one of your ally’s dragons (this is why the heavy-hitters should help out the lower-level players). Since wars are decided by flame count, getting five flames in a round is a sure-fire way to win a war.