A few days ago, an anonymous 4chan user reportedly leaked the lineup for the Nintendo Spotlight E3 2017 presentation including Super Mario Maker 2. They said the were the same user who predicted Pokken Tournament DX back in March and ARMS back in December. Here’s the lineup straight from the post:
– Super Mario Odyssey, November 24th
– Xenoblade Chronicles 2 Trailer, game delayed to Spring 2018
– New IP from Next Level Games: “Mystery of the Clocktower” (Working Title), 2018
– Fire Emblem Warriors Trailer, features 2 player splitscreen, October 13th
– Short Teaser for Fire Emblem Switch (still no official title), 2018
– Shin Megami Tensei V Trailer, 2018
– Nintendo Party revealed, party game with Miis, probably developed by Nd Cube (?), October 27th
– Mario & Sonic at the PyeongChang 2018 Olympic Winter Games revealed, November 10th
– Third Party reel, I wasn’t able to note down all the games in it, but it featured Skyrim, Dragonball Xenoverse (2?), Dragon Quest Builders, Fifa, Steep and Mario + Rabbids.
– Super Mario Maker 2 revealed, 2018
– Reminder that ARMS launches on Friday
– Splatoon 2 Direct announced, late June
– New Retro Studios Project revealed (no title yet), about Pirates, 2018
So now that the presentation is over and we know all the games, how accurate was the rumor? I turns out not so much.
Xenoblade Chronicles 2 did get a new trailer along with some exposition for the story. However, its coming holiday 2017 instead of spring 2018 like the post said. Fire Emblem Warriors also received a new trailer but it had a release date of Fall 2017 and didn’t show any split-screen co-op. A new Super Mario Odyssey trailer also happened showing off new powers including enemy possession. However, the game received an October 27 release date instead of a November 24 one.
As far as third party titles go, FIFA 18 was definitely announced for Switch as well as a reminder of Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle and the Switch version of Skyrim.
The “Mystery of the Clocktower” game from Next Level Games, the teaser for Fire Emblem for the Switch, Shin Megami Tensei V, Nintendo Party, Mario & Sonic at the PyeongChang 2018 Olympic Winter Games, the Retro Studios Project about Pirates, and Super Mario Maker 2 did not happen. Switch versions of Dragonball Xenoverse 2 and Steep are coming but a version for Dragon Quest Builders isn’t coming.
There were some new games that weren’t predicted by the rumor. Rocket League is receiving a port to the Nintendo Switch with exclusive content, cross-play between consoles and Steam users, and a Holiday 2017 release. A core RPG Pokemon title has also been announced for the Nintendo Switch as well as Metroid Prime 4 and Metroid: Samus Returns for the 3DS. New Yoshi and Kirby games were also announced for 2018 on the Switch. DLC Pack 1 & 2 for Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild is also coming as well as new Amiibo figures for Breath of the Wild, Super Mario Odyssey, Fire Emblem, and Metroid.
Oh well. That’s how the rumor cookie crumbles.