Splatoon 2 is more than just covering your opponents with colorful ink and hoping it’s enough to win a match. There is a surprising amount of depth and strategy that goes into this multiplayer title, as many of the different weapons and abilities allow for some unique customization options. We will be focusing on the latter, as these passive skills can push your Inkling from good to great if you know which ones to grab.
Now that’s not to say any one ability is bad, but some are far better than others when it comes to general play. Splatoon 2 has a fair amount of situational passive skills that aren’t as consistently useful as others. If you are unsure of which abilities to grab, here are our recommendations:
- Ink Resistance Up: It’s only natural that you will eventually have to fight in enemy territory, so the ability to move better when walking through hostile ink is incredibly important. Clever opponents will try to cut you off, so being able to escape with your life even when you’re not only friendly ground is a great addition. Plus, it has the added bonus of reducing the damage you take and who wouldn’t want that?
- Ink Recovery Up: This one should be on every Inkling regardless of what kind of build you are running. This skill simply decrease your ink-tank refill time, which then allows you to cover more territory as you play. It’s a simple, but great passive to have equipped that can severely reduce your downtime when playing.
- Ninja Squid: When you have Ninja Squid equipped players no trace when moving in friendly territory at the cost of a slight movement penalty. This skill is actually quite useful, especially if you are running a close quarters weapon like the Splat Roller. Being able to catch foes off guard and ambush them can quickly swing territory fights in your favor. However, this skill isn’t great for longer range weapons, so make sure to equip it accordingly.
- Sub Power Up/Special Power Up: These two perks simply increases the effectiveness of your grenades and special weapons in combat. It’s always good to have at least one of these abilities active, especially if you are going to be playing more defensively. Lobbing grenades into enemy controlled ground forces applies a nice amount of pressure and making your special weapons more potent is always nice.
- Ink Saver (Main): Another key skill to have on your character, this perk simply reduces the amount of ink you consume when firing your weapon. This is a no brainer since the majority of your time in Splatoon 2 will be firing your main weapon to cover ground or splat foes in your path.
- Last-Ditch Effort: When you have this ability equipped it boosts your ink recovery and weapon efficiency for the last 30 seconds of the match. While this might not seem like a lot of time, 30 seconds can make all the difference since you can easily regain a lot of territory in a final push. This perk is especially dangerous if your entire team has it equipped, as it effectively super charges everyone into an inking machine.
- Ability Doubler: If you have Ability Doubler on it will double the effects of all other abilities equipped to a specific gear. Always, always, always try to have this skill on each piece of clothing you wear since it can drastically increase your effectiveness in battle. Try to pair it with other abilities that increase your ink consumption and damage, since those are your primary tools for a match. Note, you can only get this ability on SplatFest shirts, so make sure to play during this time period.
- Thermal Ink: Finally, Thermal Ink allows you to see targets you hit with your weapon for a short period of time. This is great for tracking enemies that try to cut and run in a losing battle and allows you to have a bit more information when exploring the map. While it’s not always useful, it’s a nice passive to have for when you are dealing with an elusive Inkling.