Mewtwo was released as a raid boss for the Pokemon Stadium event in Yokohama, Japan on August 14. In the near future, Mewtwo will also be available via Pokemon Go‘s exclusive raids. Wondering what are the best moves and counters for taking down Mewtwo in a raid? Here are the basics that trainers have discovered so far. We will update this story as more information is available.
Mewtwo has two quick attacks: Psycho Cut and Confusion. Confusion is a great defense, and a good attack but a bit slow. Psycho Cut is a great offense, but not so good on defense. Mewtwo also comes with four different moves: Focus Blast, Shadow Ball, Hyper Beam, and Psychic.
Here’s a roundup of trainers’ advice on Mewtwo counters so far.
According to PokeBattler, the ideal counters for Mewtwo are the following:
- BEST — Tyranitar: He is strong against Psychic attacks and has strong Dark attacks. Best combos are Bite + Crunch or Bite + Stone Edge. The worst counter is Tail + Fire Blast, but it’s still as good as the sixth best counter to Mewtwo.
- Houndoom: Dark moves are best. Swap a fire quick move to dark/dark if you can.
- Lugia: Sky attack for a special, plus any quick attack. Best against Mewtwo with Focus Blast.
- Snorlax: Lick Ghost move delivers a lot of damage before Snorlax dies. Snorlax is especially strong against Mewtwo with Shadowball.
- Scizor: Best bug attacker for Mewtwo. Biggest Mewtwo weakness is Focus Blast.
- Dragonite: A good general counter if it has Outrage.
GamePress agrees on the best overall counter against Mewtwo, but has a slightly different take on Good Counters:
Supreme Counter — Tyranitar: With Bite + Crunch or Stone Edge
- Houndoom: With Snarl + Foul Play
- Scizor: Fury Cutter + X-Scissor
- Pinsir: Bug Bite or Fury Cutter + X-Scissor
- Dragonite: Dragon Breath or Dragon Tail + Dragon Claw/Outrage/Hurricane
- Gyarados: Bite + Hydro Pump or Crunch
Looking for more analyses on counters to read? Here are a few to check out: