There are a lot of diet cabbage soup recipes out there, but most are high in sodium or a little bit bland. This recipe is so good and easy that you can use it whether you’re on the cabbage soup diet or you just want to enjoy a lovely, warming cabbage soup.
I’ve mixed it up a bit so the soup has more flavor and dimension and so that you can customize your own with a little spice. I’ve also left out the V-8 and canned tomatoes.
Cabbage Soup Recipe:
1 sweet onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 stalks celery, sliced
1 green pepper, diced
1/2 head of cabbage, cored and chopped
2 carrots, sliced
1 head broccoli, sliced into bite-sized pieces
2 Roma tomatoes, diced with seeds discarded
4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
3 cups water
1 tsp basil
1 tsp oregano
to taste: salt and pepper, turmeric, cayenne pepper, and cumin
1. In a soup pot, heat a small amount of extra virgin oil. If you must, you can also just use a non-stick cooking spray.
2. Add the onion and garlic and saute for 4-6 minutes, until the onion becomes translucent.
3. Add the celery, green pepper, cabbage, carrot, and broccoli and give them a generous shake of salt and pepper. Saute for 3-4 minutes.
4. Add the broth and water and stir to combine.
5. Bring to a boil and then immediately reduce heat to simmer.
6. Add the tomatoes, basil, and oregano and cook for an additional 15 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.
7. Add salt and pepper to taste. If you like it a little spicy or just want some more flavor, add your desired mix of turmeric, cayenne pepper, and cumin.
*If you’re doing the cabbage soup diet, you can triple and quadruple this recipe as you please.
Discuss on Facebook