WEC 47 has come and gone. Heavy.com was on the scene in Columbus, Ohio to take in a great night of fights. Scott Jorgensen throws his name in the hat for submission of the year. Javier Vazquez seems to have ended Jens Pulver’s long and historic career. Joseph Benavidez gets the signature win he needed to join the the best of the best in the bantamweight division. And Dominick Cruz puts on one of the most impressive displays of mixed martial arts in recent memory. Your WEC 47 Wrap Up is after the jump.
WEC 47 Quick Results Full Results Here
– Ricardo Lamas (8-1) def. Bendy Casimir (19-6-2) via KO (knee) at 3:43 of round 1.
– Fredson Paixao (9-3, 1 NC) def. Courtney Buck (6-3) via rear naked choke submission at 2:39 of round 1.
– Leonard Garcia (17-5-1) and George Roop (10-7-1) ends in a Split Draw (29-27 Roop, 29-27 Garcia, 28-28).
– Anthony Pettis (8-1) def. Danny Castillo (8-3) via KO (head kick) at 2:17 of round 1.
– Chad Mendes (6-0) def. Erik Koch (9-1) via Unanimous Decision (30-27 on all cards).
– Scott Jorgensen (9-3) def. Chad George (11-5) via guillotine choke submission at 0:31 of round 1.
Main Card Fights:
– Bart Palaszewski (33-13) def. Karen Darabedyan (9-2) via armbar submission at 4:40 of round 1.
– LC Davis (16-2) def. Deividas Taurosevicius (12-4) via majority decision (29-29, 29-28,29-28).
– Javier Vazquez (14-4) def. Jens Pulver (22-13-1) via armbar submission at 3:41 of round 1.
– Joseph Benavidez (12-1) def. Miguel Torres (36-3) via guillotine choke submission at 2:57 of round 2.
– Dominick Cruz (15-1) def. Brian Bowles (8-1) via TKO (injury) at end of round 2.
– Fight of the Night: Leonard Garcia and George Roop, $10,000 each
– Submission of the Night: Joseph Benavidez, $10,000
– Knockout of the Night: Anthony Pettis, $10,000
– Four of the six undercards were over in the first round.
– Ricardo Lamas’ KO win was his first (T)KO win in the WEC after two decision wins and a TKO loss to Danny Castillo.
– With his first round submission, Fredson Paixao earned his first victory in the WEC in three attempts (1 loss, 1 NC).
– Garcia/Roop fight ended in a Split Draw due to a point deduction against Roop in the third round.
– Anthony Pettis gets his first (T)KO win since 2008. Seven of Pettis’ eight wins have come in the first round.
– Chad Mendes won his WEC debut. The much hyped Team Alpha Male prospect is a perfect 6-0 in his MMA career. Many say he is the most promising fighter in Urijah Faber’s camp.
– Scott Jorgensen won his third fight in a row in the WEC. His 31 second finish of Chad George is the fastest of his career.
– Bart Palaszewski recorded his third win in row and his 11th by submission. Darabedyan dropped his first fight since 2007.
– LC Davis won his third fight in a row and is undefeated in the WEC. All three of his wins have come via decision.
– Jen Pulver dropped his fifth fight in a row and his seventh in his last eight fights. Jens Pulver all but retired in the ring saying “I love you fans too much to put you through this again.”
– Javier Vazquez rebounds and gets his first WEC win after losing two in a row.
– Miguel Torres loses back to back fights for the first time in his career. Only a year ago, Torres was in the conversation for best pound for pound fighter in the world. Torres now falls to the lower end of the top ten in his weight class.
– Joseph Benavidez puts himself on the short list for a shot at Dominick Cruz and the bantamweight title.
– Brian Bowles severely injured his right hand in the second round and was unable to answer the bell for the third round. It was obvious the hand was hurt during the round as he quit throwing the right hand completely. Dominick Cruz had won both rounds before Bowles retired.
Entrance Music Hits:
– Bendy Casimir – Lil Wayne “Duffle Bag Boy”
– Courtney Buck – Jay Z “Run This Town”
– Fredson Paixao – 50 Cent “In Da Club”
– George Roop – Busta Rhymes “Iron Man”
– Leonard Garcia – Yung Joc “It’s Goin Down”
– Eric Koch – Scooter “Fire”
– Chad Mendes – O Jays “For the Love of Money”
– Chad George – Common “Gladiator”
– Scott Jorgensen – Kid Cudi “Alive”
– Karen Darabedyan – Kanye West “Amazing”
– LC Davis – Master P “How Ya Do Dat?”
– Jens Pulver – Charlie Daniels “Simple Man”
– Joseph Benavidez – Ted Nugent “Stranglehold”
– Dominick Cruz – Maino “Remember My Name”
– Brian Bowles – Johnny Cash “The Man Comes Around”