As quickly as the news came about that Strikeforce heavyweight champion Alistair Overeem would be heading back overseas to fight Ricco Rodriguez at DREAM.15, it is now being reported that the top level striker will not be fighting on the July 10 card in Japan.
The news was reported by MMAjunkie.com earlier this evening after speaking with Overeem’s trainer, Martin De Jong.
However, his absence at DREAM.15 is not the only news coming from Overeem’s trainer today. De Jong stated today that Overeem’s future with the promotion is currently uncertain, as the heavyweight is unsure as to whether or not he will ever fight in the promotion again. The uncertainty could be a result of Overeem’s recent move back to fighting in the United States, which he did for the first time in years when he defeated Brett Rogers at “Strikeforce: Heavy Artillery”.
Overeem, who stands at 3-0 in the DREAM promotion, is already facing some negativity from Rodriguez’s manager, Ken Pavia, who said Overeem was contractually obligated to fight on the card, but De Jong says there is no such contract.