Coker says grand prix second round likely for August
The first round of the Strikeforce heavyweight grand prix is still underway, but CEO Scott Coker is already looking at the fall months for the second frame of the tournament.
That is what Coker told MMAjunkie.com earlier today, less than two weeks prior to “Strikeforce: Overeem vs. Werdum,” stating that August is being scoped out for the event. However, the second round match ups still need to be decided.
Coker told HeavyMMA last week that the finals of the tournament could take place on pay per view in early 2012, but that no decisions have been made regarding broadcast plans.
On June 18, a first round fight between Alistair Overeem and Fabricio Werdum, as well as a second opening round fight, a match up between former top contender Brett Rogers and former UFC champion Josh Barnett, are set to take place in Dallas, Texas.
In the first two opening round bouts, Fedor Emelianenko was upset by Antonio Silva, losing via second round technical knockout, while Andrei Arlovski was blasted into unconsciousness by Sergei Kharitonov. The Brazilian will meet the winner of Overeem vs. Werdum, and Kharitonov will meet the winner of the other bout.