Brock Lesnar is returning to the Octagon.
Lesnar and UFC president Dana White were interviewed on ESPN’s SportsCenter this morning. Lesnar gave details on his bout with diverticulitis, saying that he came very close to getting a surgical procedure that would either end his career or keep him away for a very long time. But in what Lesnar calls a “miracle,” his body began healing itself. At two different checkups earlier this month, the doctors couldn’t find anything wrong with Brock and he’s been given a clean bill of health.
Lesnar will defend his heavyweight championship against the winner of the Shane Carwin/Frank Mir bout this summer. If injuries prevent Carwin or Mir from taking that bout, the winner of the Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira/Cain Velasquez bout will get the title shot instead.
Highlights from UFC Brock Lesnar conference call that concluded about 1:30pm EST.
– Lesnar indicated he was suffering from the illness for nearly a year.
– During Carwin training camp the illness worsened and he knew he could not compete.
– “I would have probably retired.” – Lesnar when asked what he’d have done if surgery was required
– Lost 40lbs and was down to 248lbs at his lowest. Says he is at 273lbs today.
– Said that he was a “carnivore” and ate very little greens. He has totally changed his diet, adding greens and a high level of fiber.
– Credits his wife and doctors for saving his life and his career. Ended the call by saying that the USA has the best doctors in the world, naming the Mayo Clinic specifically.