Bombing Suspect No. 1 Dead; No. 2 on the Run — SUSPECT NAMED

UPDATE: Suspects are from an area near Chechnya and are reportedly brothers:

boston bombing suspect killed

The Boston police commissioner has confirmed that one Boston Marathon bombing suspect is dead and the other is on the loose in Watertown, Massachusetts.

Suspect No. 1, the man in the black hat, is dead.

Suspect No. 2, the man in the white hat (also seen below in a surveillance image, as he was dressed tonight), is on the loose. He is armed and extremely dangerous and may have a bomb strapped to his chest.

boston bombing suspect watertown

boston bombing suspect

Residents of the Boston suburb are waking up to a town on lockdown as a massive force of local police and federal agents closes in on the second man believed to be behind the bombing attacks that killed three people and maimed several others at the Boston marathon on Monday.

The violent night began to unfold before 11 p.m. Thursday with reports of an officer down at MIT in Cambridge. The carnage continued in the suburb of Watertown, which resembled a war zone as the FBI and National Guard responded in force following a fierce, prolonged firefight in which the suspects wielded grenade-sized explosives as well as guns.

This info was released via a televised press conference, recounting the wild and violent events of the night:

A cop was shot dead on the MIT campus. There was a robbery at a 7-Eleven in Cambridge, Massachusetts.

A Mercedes SUV was carjacked, chased and tracked down by cops in Watertown.

There was an intense shootout with the two suspects, who wielded grenade-like explosives as well as guns.

Here’s a video that captures the shocking audio of the fierce firefight:

One suspect was shot in the exchange and later died. The second suspect fled.

A transit police officer was injured and is in critical condition.

Residents are ordered to stay in their homes. Cops are clearly stating that there is a terrorist on the loose who came here to harm us.

According to NBC, the chronology of the went like this:

The suspects approached the MIT officer and shot him in head, the sources said. The two then stole the MIT officer’s cruiser, robbed a nearby 7-11 and carjacked another vehicle, briefly kidnapping the driver, the sources said. At various points, the suspects threw explosives out the window of the moving car.

Suspect No. 2 is believed to be the member of the pair who actually placed the homemade bombs that unleashed the bloodbath near the marathon finish line. His image, along with that of suspect No. 1, was released just hours earlier by the FBI.