New Orleans Police Superintendent Ronal Serpas said that Scott was positively identified by more than one person and a warrant was issued for his arrest. Authorities have yet to find the suspect.
“We will be looking for Akein Scott for the rest of the night and tomorrow until we find him, and I would strongly recommend that Akein turn himself in,” Serpas said.
Scott was arrested last March and has a criminal record that includes charges for possessing narcotics and a firearm and resisting arrest.
Earlier on Monday, police released a series of photos that show the shooting as it happened (above video). An adult man steps out into the middle of a crowd and begins firing. The crowd of people frantically run in all directions away from the scene, but victims are left lying on the pavement. The last photo shows the man fleeing, but his face can not be clearly seen. 19 people were wounded in the incident, including two 10-year-old children.
Serpas also said earlier that had not ruled out the shooting as gang-related and or that there was more than one shooter.
A $10,000 reward has been offered by police to anyone that could provide information that might help find the shooter.
“I want to remind you that two children were struck in this incident,” Serpas said. “And if you choose not to tell the police what you know, then you’re choosing to stand with those who shot those children.”
Discuss on Facebook