One person has been killed and three others have been injured following an avalanche at an area called East Vail Chutes in Vail, Colorado, reports The Denver Channel.
Here’s what you need to know:
1. The avalanche happened at around 11:30 a.m. local time in “backcountry” area. The affected area is not a recognized ski resort.
2. Initial reports indicated that four people were trapped. After a rescue operation, one person was found dead. Three others were taken to a local hospital with non-life threatening injuries.
3. East Vail has been described as “avalanche prone.”
A lot of large avalanches have been reported to the CAIC the past few days. Pick your terrain wisely.
— Friends of CAIC (@friendsofCAIC) January 7, 2014
4. Two avalanches were triggered in the area on Christmas day as well that trapped a skier.
5. The deceased person has only been identified as a man thus far.
Discuss on Facebook