Kathy Hollowell-Mackle is one of Obama’s special guests for the 2013 State of the Union. Here’s what you need to know about her:
1. She first discovered her love of teaching as while volunteering in an after-school program. That experience inspired her to join Teach for America in 1998.
2. She is a kindergarten teacher who has contributed to national policy discussions, participating in a small group roundtable about early childhood education funding with U.S. Secretary of Education Arne Duncan.
3. Her students attain early literacy at proficient or advanced levels an average of 90% of the time, by each school year’s end. Last year, 80% of her students achieved advanced reading levels.
4. She believes the best part of teaching is “… having former students recognize me, and being able to see how wonderful they turned out to be.”
5. You can watch a tribute video for Mackle here:
Discuss on Facebook