Naval Station Norfolk Shooting: 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know

There has been a shooting at Naval Station Norfolk just months after the September shooting at the Washington Navy Yard. Read on for the facts.

1. The Incident Occurred Aboard the USS Mahan

The shooting occurred on at the Norfolk Naval Station on the USS Mahan in the brow of the ship, according to USA Today.

Norfolk is the world’s largest naval base. NBC News writes:

The USS Mahan is a 505-foot Arleigh Burke-class destroyer commissioned for service in 1998. The ship has a crew of approximately 275 sailors … The base covers more than 6,000 acres and is the home port for 64 ships, according to information the Navy provided in February. About 46,000 military members and 21,000 civilian government employees and contractors are assigned to the base and its ships, according to the Navy figures.

2. 2 People Were Killed

The shooting happened around 11:20 p.m. and a sailor as well as a civilian suspect were pronounced dead on the scene. The identity of the gunman has not been released yet, but the victim was identified as Mark Mayo, a military policeman.

The Huffington Post has reported that there were no other injuries.

3. U.S. Navy Security Forces Were the First Responders

According to USA Today:

Navy officials say security forces on base shot and killed the civilian suspect who was located on the guided missile destroyer.

It’s been reported that the gunman was not employed by the Department of the Navy, which means that the shooter was likely a contractor.

4. The Civilian Had Permission to be on the Base

In order to get on the base, civilians must be escorted or have a pass, so, at first, it was undetermined how the civilian was able to access the base. FOX News reports that every entrance on the base is guarded, and all 13 piers have additional security forces. It has now been confirmed that the gunman did have authorization to be on the base.

5. The Base Was Put on Lockdown After the Shooting

After the shooting, the base was immediately put on lockdown. USA Today reports that:

The base was briefly put on lockdown as a precaution. The lockdown lasted for approximately 45 minutes. With the exception of Pier 1, operations have returned to normal at Naval Station Norfolk.

According to The Huffington Post, enlisted sailors on the USS Mahan are not to report to duty Tuesday.

Read More