Glenn Beck, the hyper-conservative radio pundit known for spouting conspiratorial insanity, will finally have to put his foot in his mouth. Boston Magazine reported on March 31 that 20-year-old Abdulrahman Alharbi is suing Beck for defamation.
In the weeks after the Boston Marathon bombing, Beck accused the Saudi national, in the U.S. for school, of being the “money man” in the attacks.
Here is what you need to know about the man and his lawsuit:
1. Beck Tried to Tie Him to the Bombing
In Mid-April last year, about a week after the Boston Marathon bombing, Glenn Beck took to his radio show, The Blaze, to “expose” the government’s cover-up of a Saudi national’s involvement with the attack. He told the public, which you can hear in the video above, “We know who this Saudi national is. We know who this man is and, listen to me carefully, we know he is a very bad, bad, bad man.”
The following week, Beck came back to the issue claiming that the 20-year-old Alharbi had been slated for deportation because of terroristic activities, and that he was the “money man” for the operation. You can watch these claims in the video below.
2. Alharbi Claims His Reputation Was Damaged
The lawsuit filing, which you can read above, alleges that, “Glenn Beck, with the active participation of the distributor defendants, repeatedly and falsely identified Mr. Alharbi as an active participant in the crimes that were committed on April 15, 2013.”
As a result of these accusations, the lawsuit claims that Alharbi’s reputation suffered and that repeated attacks on national media did “grave injury” to him.
3. He Was Injured in the Marathon Bombing
The suit filing shows that Alharbi was a spectator at the Boston Marathon on April 15, 2013, when the two homemade bombs were detonated. In the explosion, he was injured but the extent of his injuries are not know.
Alharbi, being a man of Middle Eastern descent and a Saudi national on the scene during the attack, was determined to be a person of interest.
4. After The Attack He Was Questioned & Found Innocent
After the attack, the police searched Alharbi’s home in the middle of the night with his permission, the suit filing reports. Police reportedly found nothing and he was cleared of any suspicion. The next month, as Glenn Beck continued to publicly accuse Alharbi of being a co-conspirator.
When asked about Beck’s suspicions, Senator Saxby Chambliss, the highest ranking Republican on the Senate Intelligence Committee, said, “He was never categorized as a suspect; he was a person of interest. My understanding is that he totally cooperated and that he is no longer a person of interest.”
5. Beck Has Yet to Give a Public Statement About the Suit
The Washington Post is reporting that Beck has not yet responded publicly to the law suit. Usually a prolific tweeter, Beck has tweeted only three times, and only links to his website, since the suit was announced.
Discuss on Facebook