Seven people were killed early Thursday morning in a massive apartment fire in Lowell Massachusetts, officials said.
Here’s what you need to know:
1. 3 of the Victims Were Children
— Sheldon Schwartz (@Shelly4Cong) July 10, 2014
According to Boston.com, four adults and three children were killed in the fire. Earlier reports originally said five adults and two children were killed. According to NECN, 10 people were transported to Lowell General Hospital as a result of the blaze. Their conditions are unknown. According to Carl Stevens of WBZRadio, the seven bodies of the victims were found in two different apartment units on the third floor of the building.
2. 48 People Live in the Building
Fire officials told the Associated Press that 48 people live in the building, which has businesses on the ground floor and apartments upstairs. The Lowell Sun reports the fire displaced 43 people. The city of Lowell has started a relief fund for fire victims. Donations can be sent to:
Branch Street Fire Victims Relief Fund
Jeanne D’Arc Credit Union
P.O. Box 1238
Lowell, MA 01853
3. A Cop Discovered the Fire on a Routine Patrol
— NBC Nightly News (@NBCNightlyNews) July 10, 2014
The Lowell Sun reported a police officer in the area discovered the fire and called firefighters. In a press conference this morning, fire officials said some residents ran 100 yards down the street to the closest fire station to report the fire as well. It’s not clear what started the blaze, but Kate Gallagher of WBZ reports a family of five that was killed in the fire kept large amounts of fireworks in their apartment.
4. Some Residents Jumped to Safety
— Laurel J. Sweet (@Laurel_Sweet) July 10, 2014
WCVB TV reports that some residents jumped to safety to avoid the blaze.
5. The Building Didn’t Have a Sprinkler System
— CBS Evening News (@CBSEveningNews) July 10, 2014
According to CBS Boston, officials said the building didn’t have a sprinkler system but they weren’t required in the building. During a press conference, fire officials said no smoke alarms were operating in the building when the fire started.
Discuss on Facebook