Adam Joseph Barney was arrested on suspicion of killing a 14-month-old toddler. The child was his girlfriend’s daughter. Barney is being held without bail in Ogden, Utah, facing charges of felony child abuse homicide, reports the Salt-Lake City Tribune. The attack happened on the night of August 26.
Here’s what we know so far:
1. Cops Say Barney Admitted to Squeezing the 14-Month-Old
Police Lt. Danielle Coyle told the media that Barney, 23, confessed to cops that he squeezed the baby girl “substantially, causing significant injuries,” reports Fox 13.
2. There Were 2 Other Kids in the Room When the Baby Was Killed
There were two other children in the unit at the Western Colony Inn, a motel in Ogden, at the time of the attack. Those children, ages 5 and 3, have been taken into protective custody.
3. He Was Looking After the Kids Alone at the Time of the Death
Barney was entrusted with caring for the three children when the toddler died. The Ogden Standard-Examiner reported that the toddler’s mother was working at the time of the attack.
4. Barney Is the Toddler’s Mother’s ‘Live-In’ Boyfriend
He has been described as the “live-in” boyfriend of his girlfriend, according to KUTV.
5. At the Time of His Arrest, Barney Had 2 Other Warrants
Barney was arrested at the scene without incident. He also had two outstanding warrants for his arrest. Nicole Vowell, a reporter with KSL-TV, tweeted that Barney called 911.
Discuss on Facebook