Cops in Richmond, Virginia, are on campus at Virginia Commonwealth University while they investigate reports about an armed man on campus.
This is a breaking story so stay tuned for updates.
Here’s what we know so far:
1. ABC 8 reports that “multiple people” contact police about an armed suspect on the school’s Monroe Park campus. The warning was texted to students and also appears on the VCU homepage. According to the school, after an initial search police were unable to confirm the report.
2. We have no reports of any shots fired or persons injured. WWBT reports that the suspect is a male wearing a “square military-style hat and back pack.”
3. The Monroe Park Campus is home to most of VCU’s educational facilities. Over 40 of the buildings in the location were built before 1900. In total, there are nearly 30,000 students at VCU and nearly 15,000 staff, according to the school’s website.
4. A massive police response is on scene on campus at VCU.
5. This lockdown comes with the entire county on edge following the deaths of ten people in a shooting a Umpqua Community College in Roseburg, Oregon. The perpetrator of the shooting Chris Harper Mercer, 26, wrote extensively about his plans for the shooting online.
Discuss on Facebook