Cory Henderson: 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know

Cory Henderson, Cory Lee Henderson, Cory Henderson Utah

Cory Lee Henderson was killed after he shot two police officers, killing one. (Salt Lake City Police)

A 31-year-old Utah man was killed by police Sunday in Utah after he shot two officers, killing one.

Cory Lee Henderson died at the scene, Fox 13 News reports.

Unified Police Department Officer Doug Barney was shot in the head and later died at the hospital. Officer Jon Richey is in stable condition, police said.

The shooting happened just before 10 a.m. in Holladay, which is about 20 minutes away from Salt Lake City.

Henderson, a felon with a lengthy criminal record who was wanted by police for violating his probation, died at the scene.

Here’s what you need to know:

1. The Officers Were Called to a Car Crash Involving Henderson & a Woman

Officer Doug Barney and Officer John Richey were responding to a report of a traffic accident at 2160 E. 4500 South, the Deseret News reports.

Police said the officers were involved in a confrontation with the suspect, identified as Cory Henderson, before the shooting began. The suspect fled and was later fatally shot by other officers.

A witness, who was not identified, told the Deseret News he saw one officer down in his neighbor’s driveway.

“As they were tending to the officer, the other officers went in pursuit around the side of the home in the cul-de-sac. Within about 30 or 45 seconds after, that’s when we heard the hail of gunfire,” the man said.

Richey was shot three times and is still hospitalized. Barney died at the hospital.

2. Henderson Was Released to a Halfway House After Being Arrested on Federal Gun & Drug Charges

Cory Henderson, Cory Lee Henderson, Cory Henderson Utah

Cory Henderson. (Facebook)

Henderson was wanted on state and federal warrants and was known to carry firearms, police said.

Federal court records show he was indicted November 24, 2015, on charges of being a felon in possession of a firearm, possession of methamphetamine with intent to distribute and possession of a firearm in furtherance of a drug trafficking crime. He was arrested in December and the case was still pending.

Court documents show he was released to the Fortitude Treatment Center on December 7, 2015.

He was also wanted by the state for a probation violation and possession or transfer of a firearm by a fugitive, according to court records.

According to the Deseret News, Henderson’s criminal history includes arrests for drugs, weapons, assault and theft. He was convicted of possession of drugs or drug paraphernalia in 2009, 2010, 2013 and 2015. He was imprisoned for possession of a firearm by a restricted person in 2014 and was jailed on parole violations in November and December last year.

His mother told the newspaper he had recently fled from the halfway house, leading to the arrest warrants being issued for him. Police said he was being hunted by a regional drug task force.

3. A Woman Who Was in the Car With Henderson Was Caught After Running From the Crash

A woman, described only as blond and Caucasian, fled from the scene of the shooting, police said.

After teams of officers searched the area around the crash scene, the woman was taken into custody for question Sunday night, CNN reports.

“She matches the description of a woman who was walking away from the scene of the accident and she is one of many female acquaintances of the suspect. At this point she is just being held for leaving the scene of an accident,” Lt. Rex Bell told CNN.

Police said at a press conference that the woman might have been injured in the crash.

4. Henderson’s Mother & Brother Were Arrested at the Shooting Scene

Cory Henderson, Cory Henderson utah

Cory Henderson, left, with his brother, who was arrested at the shooting scene after Henderson was killed. (Facebook)

Two family members of the suspect were taken into custody at the scene. They were wanted on warrants, police said at a press conference.
According to Fox 13 News, the man and woman arrived at the scene at about 1:45 p.m. and said they were the mother and brother of the suspect who was killed. Police said they were uncooperative and were arrested.

Police used a Taser on the suspect’s brother, the news station reports.

His mother was later released, while his brother, Jaiden Snyder, 18, was charged with assault against a police officer, interfering with an arresting officer, failure to stop at the command of law enforcement, disorderly conduct and threats of violence.

5. Barney Was a Cancer Survivor & a Father of 3 Children

Officer Douglas Barney, Officer Doug Barney, Officer Douglas Barney Utah, Doug Barney Utah, Doug Barney Unified Police Utah killed

Officer Douglas Barney. (Unified Police Department)

Sheriff Jim Winder said at a press conference Sunday that Barney was the “loving father” of three children, the Deseret News reports.

He worked as a police officer for 18 years.

Barney, who has worked as a school resource officer, battled cancer for several years, according to a 2010 KSL-TV story about a dodgeball fundraiser held at a local school.

He had been fighting bladder cancer off and on for seven years at the time.

“I’m really touched and just amazed at what you guys have done,” Barney told the students. “This is incredible.”

Barney was the first police officer in the United States to be killed in the line of duty in 2016.

A police officer in Danville, Ohio, Thomas Cottrell, was shot and killed late Sunday night, 12 hours after Barney’s death. A suspect, Herschel Jones III, 32, was taken into custody. Read more about that shooting at the link below: