WATCH: Graphic Baltimore Police Body-Cam Footage Shows Curtis Deal Fatally Shot


VideoVideo related to watch: graphic baltimore police body-cam footage shows curtis deal fatally shot2017-02-10T09:45:41-05:00

On February 6, 18-year-old Curtis Deal was released on bail after his third arrest in 2017. A day later at around 3 p.m., he was fatally shot by police. On February 9, Baltimore police released the graphic video, showing Detective Daivd Kincaid Jr., a five-year veteran of the force, shooting Deal.

During a press conference on February 8, Baltimore police said that Deal jumped out of a car and was pursued by police. However, the footage doesn’t start until after Deal is already being chased by Kincaid.

The video does show Deal holding a gun and turning back to aim it at Kincaid.

“Mr. Deal pointed a loaded gun at a Baltimore police officer, period,” Police Commissioner Kevin Davis said, WBALTV reports. “These police officers chased a bad guy with a gun, and that takes bravery and courage, and it takes a commitment and dedication that I’m proud of, and I think our community should be proud of as well.”

Police said Kincaid fired seven shots, four of which did strike Deal. Deal did not fire his weapon.

During the press conference, police said that Deal had been arrested three times in the past month. On January 4, he was arrested for gun possession and released on $75,000 bail. He was arrested again on January 30 for alleged possession of heroin and was released on his own recognizance.

On February 2, he was arrested for a handgun violation and allegedly carrying 660 gelcaps of heroin. Police said the assistant state’s attorney asked that Deal be held without bail, but the judge granted him $250,000 bail, with a curfew, and he was released on February 6.

“Given the connection of violence and drugs and guns and the enormous amount of drugs that were being sold here, while he’s out on bail for guns, the state thinks he poses a continuing and extreme risk to public safety,” Assistant State’s Attorney David Chiu argued during the hearing.

“You’re not going out at night, you’re not going to get food, you’re not going to meet your girlfriend. You’re in your house,” Taylor told Deal, who also had to provide proof that he attended school while awaiting trial. “Best of luck to you, Mr. Deal.”

“It shows dysfunction, I believe, in our criminal justice system,” Baltimore Mayor Catherine Pugh told the Baltimore Sun. “People who have those many gun charges probably should not be on our streets.”

Davis also criticized Judge Nicole Taylor’s decision to let Deal out on bail, adding that the police department “could very well be planning a police funeral right now.”

Police are still searching for the person who drove the car Deal was seen jumping out of. Kincaid was put on administrative leave.

KGA Audio Police-Involved shootingBody-Worn Camera footage from incident

The Baltimore Sun did contact an aunt of Deal’s, but she said the family had not prepared a statement. His attorney also did not comment. However, during the hearing on Monday, his attorney told Taylor that Deal wanted to attend Army to study engineering. He was a basketball player at Digital Harbor High School.

Would love your thoughts, please comment.x