Happy Mother’s Day 2017! What does the Bible say about motherhood? Check out these inspirational Bible sayings about what the Word of God says about the duties of a mother.
In the United States, Mother’s Day is celebrated on the second Sunday in May, but the holiday honors the sacrifice mothers make everywhere. Other countries that celebrate Mother’s Day on the second Sunday in May include Australia, Canada, New Zealand, South Africa, and more. However, other dates for Mother’s Day are usually held in the spring, too.
More than 46 countries throughout the world celebrate Mother’s Day. Typical celebrations include attending church, going out to eat, and giving gifts to mothers and grandmothers. Gifts usually consist of a card and a bouquet of flowers.
Modern Mother Day’s celebrations can be traced to the early 20th century in the United States. Learn more about the history of Mother’s Day here!
1. “Strength and dignity are her clothing, and she laughs at the time to come. She opens her mouth with wisdom, and the teaching of kindness is on her tongue. She looks well to the ways of her household and does not eat the bread of idleness. Her children rise up and call her blessed; her husband also, and he praises her: “Many women have done excellently, but you surpass them all.” – Proverbs 31:25-30
2. “Behold, children are a heritage from the Lord, the fruit of the womb a reward.” – Psalm 127:3
3. “Train up a child in the way he should go; even when he is old he will not depart from it.” – Proverbs 22:6
4. “As one whom his mother comforts, so I will comfort you; you shall be comforted in Jerusalem.” – Isaiah 66:13
5. “For you formed my inward parts; you knitted me together in my mother’s womb. I praise you, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made. Wonderful are your works; my soul knows it very well. My frame was not hidden from you, when I was being made in secret, intricately woven in the depths of the earth. Your eyes saw my unformed substance; in your book were written, every one of them, the days that were formed for me, when as yet there was none of them.” – Psalm 139:13-16
6. “Then the mother of the child said, “As the Lord lives and as you yourself live, I will not leave you.” So he arose and followed her.” – 2 Kings 4:30
7. “The rod and reproof give wisdom, but a child left to himself brings shame to his mother.” – Proverbs 29:15
8. “Grandchildren are the crown of the aged, and the glory of children is their fathers.” – Proverbs 17:6
9. “I am reminded of your sincere faith, a faith that dwelt first in your grandmother Lois and your mother Eunice and now, I am sure, dwells in you as well.” – 2 Timothy 1:5
10. “And these words that I command you today shall be on your heart. You shall teach them diligently to your children, and shall talk of them when you sit in your house, and when you walk by the way, and when you lie down, and when you rise.” – Deuteronomy 6:6-7