Trippie on ‘Shark Tank’: A Look Inside the App That Helps You Nagivate the Airport

airport app, app shark tank, trippie shark tank

trippie.co

Trippie entered the Shark Tank with an app that allows users to navigate through the airport.

We interviewed Colgate University’s former Division 1 basketball player Ryan Diew who participated in a thought incubator at the university. That program ultimately led him to pitch the idea in a Shark Tank-like event at Colgate, earning him first place and $5,000 which allowed him to purchase a laptop to work on developing the app.

As for the future of Trippie, Diew envisions it as being the go-to app for airport travelers. As of now, it is available in 15 airports, which account for 83.2 percent of the country’s air traffic. By 2018, they hope to add all 26 major hub airports.

Here’s what else he told us about…

How the Idea Came About

While traveling back home to Oakland from Colgate, I had a layover in Washington, DC. I was so hungry and wanted to get something to eat in the terminal, but I had no idea where anything was in the airport. I looked in the App Store to find an app that did this but couldn’t find any good ones. So I decided right then and there to just build an app myself that solved this problem that so many people deal with on a daily basis.

Creating the App

I started dedicating a lot of my free time to learning how to code in Swift. What’s so cool about the internet nowadays is that if you want to learn how to do something, there’s so many resources and tutorials out there. Google and YouTube helped me a lot.

How Being a College Basketball Player Helps Him in Business

My basketball experience has given me the ability to power through anything that the startup life has thrown my way. There is nothing in business that has been tougher than being a Division-I Athlete. The lessons I’ve learned and the lifestyle that I’ve lived as a basketball player have made a smooth transition for me to the business world. Leadership, good time management and grit are some examples of qualities I’ve gained through athletics.

Nerves in the ‘Tank’ & Advice to Future Contestants

I literally was choking out there. I definitely could have performed better but I’m so thankful for the experience…Believe in yourself and stay confident. No matter what happens out there it has no bearing on who you are as an entrepreneur. Use whatever advice they give you as fuel to push your business to the next level.

Other Shark Tank products :

Cole

Hello, I saw you on shark tank I believe in you to make this a success! Don’t give up on your dreams! This looks like a app that will explode!

What a great idea! But there’s a company called Google that created an app called Google Maps that can give you all of this info and it is already on everyone’s phone.

I think Trippie is a great idea right now; however, this app will never be able to compete with corporate giants like Google and Apple, who will always out develop small start ups. Regarding Ryan’s reaction on Shark Tank, I was a bit disappointed. The Sharks were right. Entrepreneurship is about failing cheap and fast until you come up with the best version of your solution to a problem. Find a different problem; preferrably one that stays far away from the likes of Google, Microsoft, and Apple.

Rebecca Tummon

I love all the passion and emotion that I saw on shark tank and for that reason think that you will be successful in future as you mature!! I think that the issue that the sharks were having is that they needed a clearer picture of the idea and the way to implement the product. Their criticism had nothing to do with not thinking that you are brilliant and hard working – because obviously you are! I will download trippie because I am curious to see how it works and want you to succeed but confess that I wish that there had been a clearer explanation of exactly what it does and how it can set itself apart from other apps (it explains where different food is located in airports and that is the main feature?). plus I also like the name!
Anyway, just my two cents. Good luck and I am rooting for you!

Harris Fellman (@harrisfellman)

Man, they destroyed you on the show. If you can try to get past that aspect – there was actually some really good advice. “Waze for Airports”? Info fed by users. Man if you can pull that off, you’ve got something.

Speak to an actual business traveler idiot. They will tell you this idea is stupid.

kbaedeker

I agree this is a cool idea, but let’s be honest… ideas are cheap, and not all of them are practical. Trippie wasn’t a complete project/product, and didn’t have a clear path for growth. Needing an investment just to catch up to the competition, before innovating a different product is too uncertain. Many people with JUST as much passion work hard and fail, BUT don’t feel the need to cry/beg about the advice they’re given. If you can’t handle rejection on an investment, how could you be expected to handle failures if the business were to grow?

Shark tank doesn’t get it.
Many people, especially young and older, want simple , user friendly Apps. to accomplish a simple function.l
This kid did it. Mapquest, or whatever else M. Cuban said does this already , is entirely incorrect-those apps are complicated , confusing, and overbearing. Trippie is a great idea-simple , focused, and more to the point-also easier to look at. He gets a YES vote, A+. He should finish it, make it cool, and it will work. Don’t listen to the dried up Sharks.

Mapquest? are you a grandpa? He said Apple Maps or Google, the most popular map applications. I rarely travel, and when I do, I open google maps and it tells me every restaurant nearby. Now they even have 3D views of the Airport. By the time this app ever gets finished, Google will have a VR navigation, but it will be too complicated for the likes of you.

I would never use this app. I travel and know the airports. The airports are well signed and once you have been there a few times you learn the layout. In addition, this kid lost me. A millennial with a sense that he grew up without a “rich uncle”, so the world owes him something. If you saw the Shark episode, you saw him cry when he didnt get his way. He must have been great to coach and a tremendous leader on his team. Missed the tuna sandwich shot , choked , but most importantly, missed the point the sharks were trying to make. 22M people travel in the airports where app is active. Less than 200 use it. Do the math.

hey now! I have rich uncles, and I would be embarrassed to ask them to invest in this! and they could make a better tuna sandwich shot.

Lesa Reed (@lesapreed)

FYI: He missed the shot on purpose. This is a very young man that is a true entrapuner. Why, because he is working on a career and a dream instead of hanging out in bars trying to get laid, staying stoned all night, sleeping all day while working a crappy job for party money. This is what your average young man does. At his age he is already more successful than most men twice his age. Give him a break, he’s a young man and rejection is a very hard pill to swallow. I do feel he approached Shark Tank much too soon. He has went from 4 airports to 27 since the show aired. I found this while searching for the app which I plan to use. This man will be successful one way or another. He’s got that drive in him that is unique and not like the typical lazy American.

Lesa Reed (@lesapreed)

Sorry 15 airports. But still,I watched a special when they discussed some of the ideas they passed on that went on the major success like Copa Di Vino for example. Every successful person have pushed through rejection.

Darren Beanard

I really wish this app was available for Android. I would load it and use it now! I travel all 50 states for work, and I fly about a140 flights a year so I am in and out of airports in every state, both major and non-major. If this was an Android, Waze-like app, I would be a HUGE contributor and user!
I would suggest a minor name change because there is another app called “trippie” out there. It is based in Bangkok and it is an app that does something for travelers as well, not sure what it is, but it is definitely different that Ryan’s “trippie.”
Maybe “Trippee” or “Tripee.” Both of those names are unused, I checked.
I wish Ryan success, and I will be on the lookout for his app in Google Play. But I really would consider changing the spelling in order to differentiate this app from the other “trippie.”