Harvey Weinstein Tests Positive for Coronavirus: Reports

harvey weinstein

Getty NEW YORK, NY - FEBRUARY 24: Movie producer Harvey Weinstein enters New York City Criminal Court on February 24, 2020 in New York City. Jury deliberations in the high-profile trial are believed to be nearing a close, with a verdict on Weinstein's numerous rape and sexual misconduct charges expected in the coming days. (Photo by Scott Heins/Getty Images)

Harvey Weinstein has tested positive for Coronavirus and is being isolated at Wende Correctional Facility in Western New York, the Niagara Gazette reports. Prison officials and Weinstein’s representatives have not confirmed the report. A spokesperson for Weinstein told Heavy that he has not heard anything about his client contracting the virus.

According to the local newspaper, officials connected to the New York state prison say Weinstein, 68, is one of two inmates at Wende Correctional Facility in Western New York to test positive for the virus. Prison officials have confirmed that two inmates are being treated for COVID-19, but would not confirm Weinstein was one of them, because of privacy issues.

A law enforcement official confirmed to Deadline that Weinstein is in medical isolation. Deadline adds that nearly 40 inmates at Rikers have tested positive for COVID-19 in the past week. Weinstein was previously at Rikers after he was convicted of rape and sexual assault charges last month.

Weinstein was transferred to Wende Correctional Facility, near Buffalo, on Wednesday. On Thursday, which also happened to be his 68th birthday, he was put into isolation, according to reports.

Weinstein Was Hospitalized for Chest Pains in February & March

Weinstein has faced a host of medical issues over the past few months since his arrest that have taken him in and out of the hospital.

He underwent back surgery in December and has subsequently relied on a walker to get around during his trial.

On February 24, after his conviction, he was hospitalized in New York City after suffering from chest pains, according to ABC 7 New York. At the time of hospitalization, Weinstein was in the process of being transferred to Rikers Island, as he had just been convicted of sexual assault and third-degree rape.

After being released from the hospital, Weinstein spent time at an infirmary on the Rikers Island Jail Complex.

On March 11, within hours of being sentenced to 23 years behind bars, Weinstein was again taken to New York’s Bellevue Hospital for chest pains. His spokesman, Juda Englemayer, later told the New York Times that he had been diagnosed with “dangerously high” blood pressure.

In court, Weinstein’s lawyer, Donna Rotunno, pleaded with the judge, saying, “Mr. Weinstein, is a sick man. Mr. Weinstein has a multitude of medical issues. There are a list of things that are physically wrong with him and things that are serious.”

Wende Was Intended as a Temporary Stop

On March 11, Weinstein was sentenced to 23 years in prison after being found guilty of rape in the third degree and a criminal sexual act in the first degree.

In court, he said, “I really feel remorse for this situation… I feel it deeply in my heart. I will spend my time really caring and really trying to be a better person.”

Rotunno later called the sentencing “obscene,” “obnoxious,” and “cowardly,” according to CNN. 

As CBS New York points out, Wende was intended as a temporary stay. Weinstein is awaiting an evaluation that will determine which state prison meeds his medical and mental health needs.

It is unclear if Weinstein contracted coronavirus at Rikers Island, or when he was in hospital in Manhattan. Weinstein also faces felony charges in Los Angeles. The LA County District Attorney’s office has started the process of extraditing the disgraced movie mogul to Los Angeles to face those charges.

READ NEXT: Bravo’s Andy Cohen Tests Positive for Coronavirus

Would love your thoughts, please comment.x